Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody dealt with these bullies? Arvato

Options
  • 21-12-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hi, guys.
    I recently had an outstanding balance with Board Gais that I was not aware of (€115).
    About 2 weeks ago I started receiving letters in the post from Arvato Finance, looking to aquire my balances.

I get paid by the month and was due to be paid today, however there was a problem and I was not paid today.

I got another letter from Arvato informing me they will be calling to my house to claim my owed money.
    It's bad enough they have been calling me twice a day, every day for the past two weeks, but to call to my door is just making me feel really under pressure and very anxious.

It's approaching Christmas, I pay 650euro a month in rent and work in retail, my GF is not currently working as she's heavily pregnant. I just cannot afford this.

Has anybody dealt with these before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How were you not aware that you owed money for a service that you use, and for which statements are issued to you? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

usually taken out by direct debit. since i never was notified, i assumed by balance had been paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi, guys.
    I recently had an outstanding balance with Board Gais that I was not aware of (€115).
    About 2 weeks ago I started receiving letters in the post from Arvato Finance, looking to aquire my balances.

I get paid by the month and was due to be paid today, however there was a problem and I was not paid today.

I got another letter from Arvato informing me they will be calling to my house to claim my owed money.
    It's bad enough they have been calling me twice a day, every day for the past two weeks, but to call to my door is just making me feel really under pressure and very anxious.

It's approaching Christmas, I pay 650euro a month in rent and work in retail, my GF is not currently working as she's heavily pregnant. I just cannot afford this.

Has anybody dealt with these before?
    Get in touch with Bord Gais and offer to pay something off the arrears each week/month until the debt is cleared, don't deal with anyone else as you don't owe money to anyone else!

If Bord Gais refuse a reasonable payment plan then let them take you to court(a very expensive process and all for €115) as a reasonable judge will see your attempts to make good on the debt.

These debt collectors have no powers in Ireland and will not call to your door, this is just intimidation and a tactic to try to get money from you.

usually taken out by direct debit. since i never was notified, i assumed by balance had been paid
    Even though no payment showed on your bank statement? :confused:
    Yeah get on to them to set up a payment plan but pay no attention to all the nonsense above about how these guys are not legit etc from someone who clearly hasn't a clue. If they were not legit, BG would not use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Surely you would have been checking your statements every 2 months or so :confused: When they rang you, did you arrange how you were going to pay off this debt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

These guys are legit but you dont have to deal with them, your contract is with bord gais. Ring bord gais and only ever deal with them, tell these guys that you are dealing with bord gais and to not call again.

Have I said they were not legitimate?

They have no more powers than I have if I asked the op for money owed to Bord Gais, It would be uneconomical for them to Call to your door for such a small sum and even if they did call they have no right of entry and absolutely no right to take money or other goods from the premises as that would be theft. OP you do not have to talk to them at all.

If they have been calling you twice a day even after they have notified you of the amount outstanding you should contact the Gardai as this is harassment.

Times are hard for everyone especially at Christmas and this kind of harassment and intimidation is not right from a company as bad with their bookkeeping as bord gais are! I left them because they kept sending out bills late, leaving only a few days between getting the bill and the money being taken from the account even though the direct debit guarantee stated 14 days I was only getting 2-5 days.

after ringing and writing to them they eventually answered when I stopped the direct debit payments and they had the neck to request a security deposit, I asked for a written undertaking that they would adhere to the rules of the direct debit scheme which they had signed up to but they could not give such an undertaking so had no choice but to let me off without paying any deposit!

two years later and although bumped up to some customer care operations manager in some cosy office my bills were still arriving late while all other bills were very much on time so I switched to FloGas!

Deal only with Bord Gais and my advice would be as soon as the arrears are paid switch to FloGas who are much cheaper.

I'm gettIng tired of reading "times are hard" in relation to bills for services that people elect to use and agree to pay. I'm not denying times are hard but therefore, ring the company, explain the situation, set up a payment plan... but don't try to deflect the responsibility to the company when you don't even check your bank statements, despite knowingly using the service.
    As for this agency, if the debt is passed on to them, they are the ones to be dealt with. It's all very well to say "They're not who you're contracted to" bla bla... but the terms of that very contract were broken.
    If you feel harassed by them, well they don't know your personal circumstances - they're not psychic. All they know is: you owe money that you don't appear to have done anything about, e.g. ringing the supplier, paying even a tenner off. I don't get this victimhood stuff, as if you've done nothing wrong.

I don't get the "The company is always up to something" paranoia from a minority here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm gettIng tired of reading "times are hard" in relation to bills for services that people elect to use and agree to pay. I'm not denying times are hard but therefore, ring the company, explain the situation, set up a payment plan... but don't try to deflect the responsibility to the company when you don't even check your bank statements, despite knowingly using the service.
    As for this agency, if the debt is passed on to them, they are the ones to be dealt with. It's all very well to say "They're not who you're contracted to" bla bla... but the terms of that very contract were broken.
    If you feel harassed by them, well they don't know your personal circumstances - they're not psychic. All they know is: you owe money that you don't appear to have done anything about, e.g. ringing the supplier, paying even a tenner off. I don't get this victimhood stuff, as if you've done nothing wrong.

I don't get the "The company is always up to something" paranoia from a minority here either.

You are wrong on the count you deal with the agency they passed the debt on to as they use these companies only to threaten people into paying.

When I ran into trouble with my AIB Visa, my own fault of course they passed it on to some aganecy who have no legal standing here to begin with. I told that agency to practically go and fook themselves and told them I will only deal with the AIB Credit card dept. I called up the AIB and sorted out my mess avoiding the debt collectors. You are better off dealing with the source as they still carry your debt. Debt collection agencies are used as an extra avenue to get their funds back and to scare folk into paying up.

But the debt is often paid by the agency to the company which then no longer requires it, hence the agency being the ones to look for the money consequently.
    It isn't always a case of the agency being out to bully people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Hey, lighten up, cut the guy some slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

?.., ring the company, explain the situation, set up a payment plan...

That advice is sound. :)

As for the rest of your post, what a load of codswollop. :pac:

But the debt is often paid by the agency to the company which then no longer requires it, hence the agency being the ones to look for the money consequently.
    It isn't always a case of the agency being out to bully people.

Most of those debt collectors work off commission. Once they get the money back they get a cut. The companies don't actually pass or sell on the debt. If that was the case anyway who tells them to fook off and tries to deal with the actual company they owe money to would be told to go away and deal with the debt collector where the debt was passed to. Anyone in this situation should ignore the debt collector and just go to the original company and sort out a payment with them. And all Debt collectors use bully tactics no matter how legit they are. That is how they get their money back. And they have no legal standing here unlike the UK where the debt is 100% for the most part passed on to them.

NewHillel wrote: »
    ?.., ring the company, explain the situation, set up a payment plan...

That advice is sound. :)

As for the rest of your post, what a load of codswollop. :pac:
    You haven't offered an explanation why, therefore I'm assuming you don't really think it is - you just don't like reading it. ;)
    Nothing incorrect in what I say, darl - some folks don't like reality though.
    Let me guess: you're the type who rings companies in a rage over being charged money you owe for a service you used. :)

Hey, lighten up, cut the guy some slack.
    I did - I outlined his options but made him aware he has to take some responsibility too. I also just created awareness of some realities - apologies that I didn't say "Ah they're mean, you shouldn't have to pay anything." I was speaking more in general in that post you highlighted - not specifically to the OP. It would be nice if whingers cut service providers some slack too, but I guess we can but dream. :)

I don't want to see anyone struggling with debt but take a bit of a decent attitude with the evil company, take some personal responsibility, and you'll be surprised at how they're not actually that evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

GOD ! Another thread hijacked by 2 timewasters

dharn wrote: »
    GOD ! Another thread hijacked by 2 timewasters
    You... could say what you're referring to - otherwise your own post looks like time-wasting.

The companies don't actually pass or sell on the debt.
    Actually, some companies do.
    If that was the case anyway who tells them to fook off and tries to deal with the actual company they owe money to would be told to go away and deal with the debt collector where the debt was passed to.
    And I know for a fact that happens. Maybe it depends on the company, but telling people to just brush off collection agencies in general is incorrect advice, difficult as it may be for some, who feel violated by being reminded they owe money, to accept. Not an attack on you btw.

Can't be nice to have the likes of them chasing you but insist on a payment plan with them if the debt is passed on by the company. Don't leave bills build up in the hope they'll go away either. Talk to MABS, whomever you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Get in touch with Bord Gais and offer to pay something off the arrears each week/month until the debt is cleared, don't deal with anyone else as you don't owe money to anyone else!

If Bord Gais refuse a reasonable payment plan then let them take you to court(a very expensive process and all for €115) as a reasonable judge will see your attempts to make good on the debt.

These debt collectors have no powers in Ireland and will not call to your door, this is just intimidation and a tactic to try to get money from you.

This is probably the best and least judgemental advice on this thread OP. Good luck with it.

Morlar wrote: »
    foggy_lad wrote: »

This is probably the best and least judgemental advice on this thread OP. Good luck with it.
    How is it the best when it's possibly incorrect?

If people stopped blaming companies for their own errors, then there wouldn't be what you deem judging. The same advice about a payment plan was also given by those "judging".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You... could say what you're referring to - otherwise your own post looks like time-wasting.

Now who could dharn be referring to? I simply can't think who it could be. :D

I've no doubt. Funny how stuff which isn't untrue, some folks just don't like reading it, is deemed "time-wasting". ;)

I'm not a judgemental person - regularly chided here for being a "do-gooder". If someone posted that they were struggling to pay bills end of, I'd say nothing whatsoever about personal responsibility, just offer advice like ringing the company and mabs.
    But when the "I didn't know about it" and other attempts at twisting the blame on the company start, then I can't help but see the company's perspective too.

Shame that's so problematic for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

If people stopped blaming companies for their own errors, then there wouldn't be what you deem judging. The same advice about a payment plan was also given by those "judging".

Again, you do not have to deal with the debt agent only the original company in IRELAND, do as foggy lad said.

Dudess, the op was looking for help in how to deal with the issue not a lecture on whether people should be responsibly about their debts. The op knows they owe the money by now. I'm not siding with the op as i also believe in an individuals responsiblity for their own issues and debts. But they are looking for help not judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

If you only owe 150 to bord gais a ten week pay plan is only 15 euro a week you would have been called at least four times and numerous letters sent before your debt was sent to alternative means of collection

Again, you do not have to deal with the debt agent only the original company in IRELAND, do as foggy lad said.

Dudess, the op was looking for help in how to deal with the issue not a lecture on whether people should be responsibly about their debts. The op knows they owe the money by now. I'm not siding with the op as i also believe in an individuals responsiblity for their own issues and debts. But they are looking for help not judgement.
    Kenneth, I don't understand why foggy lad's word is taken as gospel. There are companies here who pass the debt to agencies. I know people who have had to pay them and were told by the original company to deal with the agency. Not good to give the OP potentially incorrect info. Maybe it's correct but we don't know. I'd advise the OP to ask.
    I asked the OP why he didn't know about a bill he owes since you don't not know about a bill for which you owe - you are notified a number of times, as well as knowingly using the service and being aware when money goes out of your bank account. It's unfair to make out the company is at fault in such cases. Change of contact details could be a factor but that's not the company's fault if they're not advised.
    The rest of what I said was general, not specifically to the OP - on the back of the ludicrous "the company is mean" sentiment here, as if they chase people for no reason.
    And I offered advice. I'm not someone who gets off on having a swipe at others' misfortune, believe me, but unfair blaming and scapegoating is also something that's very wrong - and far too widespread.

Actually, some companies do.

And I know for a fact that happens. Maybe it depends on the company, but telling people to just brush off collection agencies in general is incorrect advice, difficult as it may be for some, who feel violated by being reminded they owe money, to accept. Not an attack on you btw.

Debt collection agencies have no legal standing here and 99% of the time are only used to scare people or bully them.
    Can't be nice to have the likes of them chasing you but insist on a payment plan with them if the debt is passed on by the company. Don't leave bills build up in the hope they'll go away either. Talk to MABS, whomever you can.

Want to hear something that is going to rubbish your whole theory? Mabs actually told me to deal with the companies directly and not with collection agencies. They said that if you owe a company money only deal with that company and not the collection agency.
    who feel violated by being reminded they owe money, to accept. Not an attack on you btw.

See this part of your post gets me whether you say it isnt against me. In my case I already knew I owed the AIB money, It was a mess i put myself in. I had already talked to the AIB about it on many occasions and pressed on thinking things would be fine until I couldn't handle the debt anymore. They still sent the debt collection agency on to me even though I had talked to them. It wasn't until we mutually agreed what was the best plan for paying the debt then they called off the debt collection agency. And I am not alone when it comes to the situation I put myself in.

Honestly it's not directed at you - you said you knew it was your issue to sort out, you didn't blame the bank.
    Where is your "fact" from? And where is your 99 per cent from? A figure that's usually made up, but if not, there's still one per cent. I'm not saying there aren't agencies that merely intimidate, but there are some that actually take the debt from the company, and we don't know which type of agency this is, so ffs why are people giving the OP certain advice based on something they're not totally certain of? :confused:
    It's not a theory by me, btw.
    OP, ask - and if it's just a crowd of heavies, speak to Bord Gais and set up a payment plan. Let them know your situation, because they've no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brianserious

I just got a letter from these guys saying I need to call immediatley , damn I thought it was a job I applied for till I came here.

I owe bord gais approx 400 euros

NEVER deal with the debt collectors they are the lowest of the low and they add fees.

And to those people who always seem to side with companies they need to take a look at them selves in the mirror,

big companies dont care about peoples circumstances, ,thats why they get the people in financial services to do what they are best at- intimidate folk.

I will ignore the letters and pay bord gais 50 e in about a month then in about another 9 months they process will repeat. This is how these issues get resolved in Ireland.

Dont get all mad- dont reply or acknowledge or write back to these debters they can do nothing.

Dont worry about the self righteous folk here talking about availing of services as if you have a choice to not use electricty
    LOL gimme a break !

This is no rreal biggie to bord gais neither its just process to them and they will get their money----.....................

eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brianserious

PS: I have got many many many debt collectors letters over the years and dealing with the company direct is the way to go in EVERY case.

Play like these guys dont exist-
    #

• Advertisement

Play like these guys dont exist-
    #

But don't ignore or play like the debt doesn't exist and you should be ok!

the original company you owe money to should set up a reasonable payment plan and even if they don't you should still pay money off the debt weekly and whenever you can afford it. this shows you willing to pay.

Advertisement