Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conventional wisdom that is wrong

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

smash wrote: »
    I don't know. Try it and tell me.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on that one. ;)

Someone close to me works with members of a certain ethnic community, many of the young members of which believe that smoking heroin is not addictive. The results of that false belief are not pretty, she tells me.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Getting shot by a bullet(s) blows you back off your feet.
    Hahah, thats actually another one that can be true, albeit not always. Its the difference between getting a punch in the chest when you're ready for it and braced (the shooter) and getting shoved when unprepared (the person shot).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Dogs with erect penises attract lightning.

You die before you hit the ground when you fall off a cliff, off a tall building or out of a plane in flight.

Pigs can hum.

Getting shot by a bullet(s) blows you back off your feet.

Cats smother babies.

No quibble with anything except the last one, and even here it's probably an old wives' tale. However, I've heard it said that a cat could be a danger to a very small baby without actually wishing to harm it. It might be attracted by the warmth of the child, and especially its breath, and just lie down on the infant's face and accidentally smother it. :eek:

But, as already said, its probably just a pisherogue.;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I always get a cold when there's a sudden change in temperature so as far as I'm concerned it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Dogs with erect penises attract lightning.

Imagine the possibilities if that were true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 acfan

I always get a cold when there's a sudden change in temperature so as far as I'm concerned it's true.

You're not completely wrong. Cold weather causes our bodies to reduce blood flow to our extremeties and can put excess stress on our immune systems, reducing the numbers of circulating white blood cells thus leaving us more prone to developing infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Money can't buy happiness -get.real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Fat makes you fat
    Watching project catwalk is gay

Advertisement