Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conventional wisdom that is wrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

You lose most heat from your body through your head; this is false.. read it in the paper today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

German soccer team wear green as a thank you to Ireland for being the first country to play them after WW2.

This was even printed by the Irish Times in the last week.

Green was actually the colour associated with Saxony and was choosen for the "away" jerseys. The colours of Prussia, black and white, were used for the "home" jerseys.

Always heard this myself TBH. Were we the first team to play them after the war though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Letting a dog eat Raw meat gives them a taste for blood, total BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

baalthor wrote: »
    In the slavery era in the US, a Black person was considered equal to three fifths of a White person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Fifths_Compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

you cant get pregnant during your period
    What kind of skank takes pipe during her period.

should be "you can't get pregnant during your period by any man with a shred of dignity"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Always heard this myself TBH. Were we the first team to play them after the war though?
    Apparently, after both World Wars their first matches were against Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Letting a dog eat Raw meat gives them a taste for blood, total BS!
    Or that animals can eat raw meat as they are immune to the bacteria (like e-coli) that are harmful to humans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's too cold to snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's too cold to snow

I love when people say this and I can ask them to explain all the snow in Siberia, Iceland, the Antarctic etc....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I love when people say this and I can ask them to explain all the snow in Siberia, Iceland, the Antarctic etc....

yes when it's 0c in Dublin and people are saying it's far too cold to snow, rofl. I've been in -35c with it lashing me out of it, not nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

That warm water freezes faster than cold water. Oops.

oops by me too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You lose most heat from your body through your head; this is false.. read it in the paper today!
    No, its true, your head is where the blood circulates the fastest, as well as being at the top of the body, so thats where heat leaks out the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

This is an Interesting Thread..

21/25

You Laugh You Lose

Its Just Not True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Chinese people cant swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

You won't get addicted to heroin if you only smoke it.

How wrong that is!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    How wrong that is!:eek::eek:

I don't know. Try it and tell me.

There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I can't believe it's not butter...

well, you better f*ckin believe, because it's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    No, its true, your head is where the blood circulates the fastest, as well as being at the top of the body, so thats where heat leaks out the most.

its true.......if you are wearing clothes on the rest of your body!!

if your naked....not so true

• Advertisement

Frynge wrote: »
    There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.
    I never understood why Rumsfeld was derided for this by some people.

I think it's an excellent, simple explanation of the world beyond the opaque layer of human consciousness. It's definitely the wisest quote to have come out of the Bush years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

You get colds from being cold.

This one annoys the piss out of me. Some people won't venture outside during Winter because they think they'll get sick. You get colds because other people blow or wipe their noses and don't wash their hands.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I always get a cold when there's a sudden change in temperature so as far as I'm concerned it's true.

Doc Ruby wrote: »

Why should that matter? Surely you lose heat fastest from your hands, since they have the most surface area and tend not to be covered up.
    I always get a cold when there's a sudden change in temperature so as far as I'm concerned it's true.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fremen wrote: »
    Why should that matter? Surely you lose heat fastest from your hands, since they have the most surface area and tend not to be covered up.

:mad:

Your body will restrict the circulation to your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Fremen wrote: »
    Heat goes up! So unless you've lost your glasses and are walking around with your hands held out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

McTigs wrote: »
    What kind of skank takes pipe during her period.

should be "you can't get pregnant during your period by any man with a shred of dignity"

Misogeny doesn't exist in After Hours.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Your body will restrict the circulation to your hands.

Oh, that's probably true. Until it does, I'd say your hands lose heat faster though.

Oh you mean when everyone stays indoors in tight spaces with poor ventilation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dogs with erect penises attract lightning.

You die before you hit the ground when you fall off a cliff, off a tall building or out of a plane in flight.

Pigs can hum.

Getting shot by a bullet(s) blows you back off your feet.

Cats smother babies.

Advertisement