Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian scientists claim sky fairy used UV radiation to zap image into Turin Shroud

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Found the report here, translating it is a pain in the hole, at least the abstract is in english:
    The body image of the Turin Shroud has not yet been explained by traditional science and the attempts to obtain a similar image by chemical methods failed till now. As a consequence, a great interest in a possible mechanism of image formation still exists. We present a summary of the results of five-years experiments of excimer laser irradiation (spectrum of the emitted light in the ultraviolet and vacuum ultraviolet) of raw linen fabrics, seeking for a coloration similar to that of the body image embedded onto the Shroud of Turin. We achieved a very superficial Shroud-like coloration of linen yarns in a narrow range of irradiation parameters. We also obtained latent coloration that appears after artificial or natural aging of linen following laser irradiations that at first did not generate any visible effect. Most importantly, we have recognized distinct physical and photo-chemical processes that account for both coloration and latent coloration. These processes may have played a role in the generation of the body image on the Shroud of Turin

TLDR: The chemists couldn't explain the shroud, so we took a crack at it with UV light, our results are similar to the shroud, therefore our methods or similar could have been used to create it.

Flicking through the report it's as genuine as they come, there is no suggestion of the supernatural, merely a dismissal of the idea that it's a medieval forgery on the basis that we cannot explain how it was done, which you kind of have to agree with, it appears that that line was taken to be a dismissal the object was man made or something, at any rate people have to stop spazzing out at scientists because of lazy journalists interpretation of their results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Fairy? zap? are you saying god is this guy?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhcdw1QpMw1qbsollo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    If I need you to do or be anything on my behalf, I'll ask you. Now stop getting so irritated..

Not irritated. Entertained. By all means keep going I could use a few more laughs.
    ...just because I make fun of ridiculous religious beliefs.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ..

There's enough there to be made fun of without inventing some of your own. Sorry, 'interpreting'.
    We are no longer living in the era when people like me could be easily shut up if we said anything that offended the kiddy-fiddler church or those who believe in the bilge it peddles. :)..

'People like you'. You mean those who are easily manipulated by the press? Those who read an article headline and jump to conclusions? Those who think they are smarter than the scientists involved? Who exactly are 'people like you'?
    Mind you, I understand the strong feelings that the Turin Shroud prompts in some...

I don't think you do.
    Even Hitler is reputed to have wanted to gain possession of it. They say he also wanted to get hold of the holy grail, which is likewise bound to turn up somewhere sooner or later and have some scienntists --- ;);):
    http://truereligiondebate.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/christian_hitler.jpg

:pac: I think you were given enough opportunities to stop digging the hole for yourself, but no you kep on going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

prinz wrote: »
    ...:pac: I think you were given enough opportunities to stop digging the hole for yourself, but no you kep on going.

Sorry prinz - but that part might have truth in it. :)

It was said he was indeed going around collecting or at least trying to get such stuff.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

* http://phantomsandmonsters.wetpaint.com/thread/3844806/Hitler+and+Religious+Relics

Him or one of his underdogs is supposed to have been in a world search for such stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

:pac:
    Biggins wrote: »
    Sorry prinz - but that part might have truth in it. :) It was said he was indeed going around collecting or at least trting to get such stuff. Him or one of his underdogs is supposed to have been in a world search for such stuff.

I know that stuff. Have a decent book on the topic as it happens, 'the spear of destiny' and all that jazz. What I can't work out is what it has to do with this thread... :pac:..

I don't know about sky fairies but there are a few sky pilots floating about.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    :pac:

I know that stuff. Have a decent book on the topic as it happens, 'the spear of destiny' and all that jazz. What I can't work out is what it has to do with this thread... :pac:..

I don't know about sky fairies but there are a few sky pilots floating about.

:D

Indeed.
    Alien ones?

*Quick... someone ring Tom Cruise! He will be deliraa.* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

A fellow Sherlockian! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This is what happens when Christmas swings around and the drinking starts. AH is like a pub where all the barred people go.

Nobody has yet asked why Jesus Christ looks like Lemmy out of Motorhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well sure lets let them believe what they want, Why create a thread just for the sake of mocking Christians and their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I believe it is the scientists who discredit themselves by jumping to such an absurd and unscientific conclusion. And they are government scientists.;) I'd have thought they have enough problems to solve in Italy without getting involved in superstitious mumbo-jumbo. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your obsession with the Almighty God knows no bounds. Kinda sad IMHO. Takes all sorts I suppose.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

If I need you to do or be anything on my behalf, I'll ask you. Now stop getting so irritated just because I make fun of ridiculous religious beliefs.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As I've said already, no bounds. Have you ever paused to consider how offensive such drivel is to people with those belief - who do not belittle your lack of said beliefs and faith?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

There is an oil stain in the Tesco car park in Naas which looks just like Richard Dawkins.

Esso Fairy !

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

If I need you to do or be anything on my behalf, I'll ask you. Now stop getting so irritated just because I make fun of ridiculous religious beliefs.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: We are no longer living in the era when people like me could be easily shut up if we said anything that offended the kiddy-fiddler church or those who believe in the bilge it peddles. :)

Mind you, I understand the strong feelings that the Turin Shroud prompts in some. Even Hitler is reputed to have wanted to gain possession of it. They say he also wanted to get hold of the holy grail, which is likewise bound to turn up somewhere sooner or later and have some scienntists --- ;);):

http://truereligiondebate.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/christian_hitler.jpg

So your using this supposed release from "oppression" to be as unfunny and offensive as possible.

Well done.

There are other posters on here who use humour and reason to try and provoke thought and debate about The Big Question... you just come across as a bit of a gob****e tbh.

Advertisement