Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian scientists claim sky fairy used UV radiation to zap image into Turin Shroud

Options
  • 20-12-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

The catholic world's fascination with relics of all kinds has never ceased to amaze me, and it has generated a massive trade that has flourished for the best part of two millennia. Bits of hair, fingernails, skin, bone of this or that supposed holy figure, or things they touched, possessed - and most probably even more fake than a $2 Rolex watch - all coveted collector's items. Indeed, someone pointed out in a recent book that no fewer than five churches and cathedrals in various parts of the world claim to have Christ's foreskin among their collection of relics.:D

Now some Italian scientists claim the sky fairy used UV radiation to create the image in the Turin shroud, a piece of cloth that reputable scientists long ago dismissed as a medieval hoax.

It is part of Berlusconi's legacy that the Italian scientific community has strayed so far from reality, or are we only dealing with a fringe group of nutters? :confused:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-say-turin-shroud-is-supernatural-6279512.html#disqus_thread

Italian government scientists have claimed to have discovered evidence that a supernatural event formed the image on the Turin Shroud, believed by many to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ.
    After years of work trying to replicate the colouring on the shroud, a similar image has been created by the scientists.
    However, they only managed the effect by scorching equivalent linen material with high-intensity ultra violet lasers, undermining the arguments of other research, they say, which claims the Turin Shroud is a medieval hoax.
    Such technology, say researchers from the National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (Enea), was far beyond the capability of medieval forgers, whom most experts have credited with making the famous relic.
    "The results show that a short and intense burst of UV directional radiation can colour a linen cloth so as to reproduce many of the peculiar characteristics of the body image on the Shroud of Turin," they said.
    And in case there was any doubt about the preternatural degree of energy needed to make such distinct marks, the Enea report spells it out: "This degree of power cannot be reproduced by any normal UV source built to date."

What next? Irish scientists claim the moving statues in 1985 were caused by the sky fairy using telekinetic techniques?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What next? Irish scientists claim the moving statues in 1985 were caused by the sky fairy using telekinetic techniques?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

what's the problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ellis Dee wrote:
    Sky fairy

My mate John works for Sky. He's gay.

I hope you're not having a go at him. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    My mate John works for Sky. He's gay.

I hope you're not having a go at him. :mad:

No, but if he has a good looking sister, can I have a go at her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

There is an oil stain in the Tesco car park in Naas which looks just like Richard Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Seems legit.

I think his name is Terry or Trevor or something like that. Begins with a T anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I just made a dump that spells out your username OP........shít happens eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's a hoax, and has been dated to be a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

a piece of cloth that reputable scientists long ago dismissed as a medieval hoax.

..and yet they still can't actually say conclusively how the image was made. I haven't the foggiest notion of what the hell it is or when it was made but lol at the automatic discrediting of the scientists credentials because they disagree with whatever you are having yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-say-turin-shroud-is-supernatural-6279512.html#disqus_thread

Italian government scientists have claimed to have discovered evidence that a supernatural event formed the image on the Turin Shroud, believed by many to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ.
    After years of work trying to replicate the colouring on the shroud, a similar image has been created by the scientists.
    However, they only managed the effect by scorching equivalent linen material with high-intensity ultra violet lasers, undermining the arguments of other research, they say, which claims the Turin Shroud is a medieval hoax.
    Such technology, say researchers from the National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (Enea), was far beyond the capability of medieval forgers, whom most experts have credited with making the famous relic.
    "The results show that a short and intense burst of UV directional radiation can colour a linen cloth so as to reproduce many of the peculiar characteristics of the body image on the Shroud of Turin," they said.
    And in case there was any doubt about the preternatural degree of energy needed to make such distinct marks, the Enea report spells it out: "This degree of power cannot be reproduced by any normal UV source built to date."

I'm confused!
    Where does it say anything about a "sky fairy" as you mention in the thread title?

:confused:

I am also having trouble finding any mention of God aka "the sky fairy" in the article whatsoever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There is an oil stain in the Tesco car park in Naas which looks just like Richard Dawkins.

Are you sure it's not a skid-mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm confused!
    Where does it say anything about a "sky fairy" as you mention in the thread title?

You mean you actually read it? With all your AH ecperience?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

prinz wrote: »
    ..and yet they still can't actually say conclusively how the image was made. I haven't the foggiest notion of what the hell it is or when it was made but lol at the automatic discrediting of the scientists credentials because they disagree with whatever you are having yourself.

I believe it is the scientists who discredit themselves by jumping to such an absurd and unscientific conclusion. And they are government scientists.;) I'd have thought they have enough problems to solve in Italy without getting involved in superstitious mumbo-jumbo. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You mean you actually read it? With all your AH ecperience?

I give all the benefit of the doubt and read their material. :)

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm confused!

I never said the article mentioned a sky fairy. That is my interpretation of what supernatural, i.e. something for which there isn't a scientific explanation, is supposed to mean.;)

I believe it is the scientists who discredit themselves by jumping to such an absurd and unscientific conclusion. And they are government scientists.;) I'd have thought they have enough problems to solve in Italy without getting involved in superstitious mumbo-jumbo. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But how many scientists have been able to accurately replicate the image as it is in the shroud? Should be a pretty simple job if it is a medieval hoax no? What exactly is unscientific about the conclusions by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It doesn't help when you make stuff up about what they said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It is part of Berlusconi's legacy that the Italian scientific community has strayed so far from reality, or are we only dealing with a fringe group of nutters? :confused:
    Strange conclusion to make. A team of scientists used science to give a scientific explaination of how the item could have been created! How are they nutters?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Strange how scientists telling everyone that supernatural events don't exist are geniuses, yet scientists who say they do are barking mad cretins.

I never said the article mentioned a sky fairy. That is my interpretation of what supernatural, i.e. something for which there isn't a scientific explanation, is supposed to mean.;)

That's because you are looking at with ignorant blinkers on ;).

• Advertisement

So you demanded the Italian scientists hide the evidence/data they uncovered as it does not make you and your atheists agenda feel so secure?

I actually respect the fact they came out and said "we haven't a clue" and then refused to alter or hide the data to fit in with the Richard Dawkins' mentality that all science is infallible. They are real scientists in my book. Good for them. All they said was "super natural" - what is wrong with this?

Ignoring of course that using the words preter- and supernatural doesn't automatically imply any sort of sky fairy, spaghetti monster or anything else.
    Supernatural: departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature
    Preternatural: exceeding what is natural or regular : inexplicable by ordinary means

From Merriam-Webster. I'd say medieval hoaxers harnassing and using short directed bursts of UV to make an image definitly departs from what is usual, normal and regular.

Strange conclusion to make. A team of scientists used science to give a scientific explaination of how the item could have been created! How are they nutters?

They are nutters if they believe the explanation is supernatural, because nothing is supernatural, there are just things for which science does not have an explanation - yet!. They would be more credible if they just admitted that they didn't know how the hoax had been perpetrated rather than claiming that some supernatural entity - read the sky fairy - had used a burst of UV radiation.

Don't you find it a bit incredible, by the way, that someone would have gathered up every item that was associated with Christ - that is if there really was such a person way back when - and carefully kept them? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Will you quit with the "sky fairy" sh1te already....

prinz wrote: »
    That's because you are looking at with ignorant blinkers on ;).

Blinkers are not ignorant, only people can be, and I have not insulted you or any other poster, so please refrain from doing so as well. :)

Oh right I see now. Scientists are supposed to HIDE DATA if it conflicts with the ethos of the scientific principle. They are are not allowed to be honest in their conclusions.

Interesting. Sounds like you are the one with the dogmatic approach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But the scientists who did the research (Enea institute) never mentioned the word 'supernatural' either, let alone 'sky fairy'.
    They seem to have said "theres our research, make of it what you will, its very inconclusive".

And whilat some professor at Pavia university has indeed mentioned the word 'supernatural' , he indicates that he doesn't think it is actually so.

... rather than claiming that some supernatural entity - read the sky fairy - had used a burst of UV radiation.

They didn't make that claim. That's your confirmation bias speaking.

Noopti wrote: »
    Will you quit with the "sky fairy" sh1te already....

Sorry, Father!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They are nutters if they believe the explanation is supernatural

You are making me want to worship the Sky Fairy.

Advertisement