Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco tin roses - are the sweets gone bigger?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

just opened a tin of roses and the size of the sweets seem to go much bigger than last time i had it. And the blue one - the caramel one - is even different shape :eek:

And the Tassimo competition advertised on the leaflet found inside is only open to UK residents :(

I always thought that Roses are pure Irish...Such disappointment ahead of the Crimbo...

Rant over :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

just opened a tin of roses and the size of the sweets seem to go much bigger than last time i had it. And the blue one - the caramel one - is even different shape :eek:

And the Tassimo competition advertised on the leaflet found inside is only open to UK residents :(

I always thought that Roses are pure Irish...Such disappointment ahead of the Crimbo...

you do know cadburys is english yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sweets might be bigger but the boxes are smaller but there a less of them

as can be seen here....

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/12/19/the-disappearing-roses-an-investigation/#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

They don't taste as nice anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

you do know cadburys is english yes?

American these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Why mention Tesco in the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

bronte wrote: »
    They don't taste as nice anymore. :(

Totally agree they are grainy and over sweet and the majority of them have that yucky caramel gue in them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The blue one was recently the same shape as the current fudge and has indeed changed to a bigger square now, but before they changed it to the thinner sweet in the blue wrapper, it was a square as it is now, but in a gold wrapper. There was less chocolate on them then too.

listermint wrote: »
    sweets might be bigger but the boxes are smaller but there a less of them

as can be seen here....

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/12/19/the-disappearing-roses-an-investigation/#comments

It's probably just me, but I don't see where he provides evidence of there being less roses - is there a hidden (or bloody obvious) link that I'm supposed to click after I click the link in your post?

4.50 in tesco for 800ish grammes of chocolate is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

quality street are much nicer

quality street are much nicer

Don't be a fool :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Roses have gone to shíte.
    Quality Street have always been shíte.
    Minature Heroes and Celebrations are the only truly satisfying mini chocolate mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I used to like Roses, but after I can't eat them any more. After years of eating Belgian, Swiss & German chocolate it now feels like it's the Roses that are eating you. I find them way too sweet now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Ficheall wrote: »
    Don't be a fool :eek:

Quality Street are nicer.Who fool now?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The blue one was recently the same shape as the current fudge and has indeed changed to a bigger square now, but before they changed it to the thinner sweet in the blue wrapper, it was a square as it is now, but in a gold wrapper. There was less chocolate on them then too.

It's probably just me, but I don't see where he provides evidence of there being less roses - is there a hidden (or bloody obvious) link that I'm supposed to click after I click the link in your post?

4.50 in tesco for 800ish grammes of chocolate is not bad.

Well as you can see the box sizes have been decreasing for years (in weight)

Its a well known fact that cocoa prices have increased over the same period so it makes obvious business sense to sell less chocolate for the same price.

I wouldnt have thought you needed that pointed out. but hey there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Are the sweets gone bigger?

Nope.

But they went less tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

livinsane wrote: »
    True. Ever since a few years ago when they got rid of the Truffle Chunk, Nutty Truffle Log, Praline Moment, Chocolate Crisp (or going further back, the Coffee Creme and Bournville). Basically bye-bye to all nice truffles and pralines, leaving only the absolute shite creme-filled and chewy ones. Cost cutting to its worst effect.
    True, except interestingly their fudge is a lot nicer than the Cadbury's Rose's version. And the green triangle is nice enough.
    Minature Heroes and Celebrations are the only truly satisfying mini chocolate mix.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Heroes got rid of the Crunchie Bite a couple of years ago. MOST UPSETTING THING EVER. That was by far the nicest sweet in the selection. By far. (Also to go further back, I miss the Fuse bar and the Nuts About Caramel.)

And Celebrations got rid of the Galaxy Truffle this year. Like, what the fu(k were they thinking??? (Although on a slightly positive note, they have replaced the Topic with Twix which is only a good thing.)

Basically there is no typical Christmassy selection of chocolates that have maintained their original good quality.

Christmas is not the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

They are about 6 euro a tin now, they used to be 12-15. Makes sense that they've halved the weight and halved the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

These are all american 'candy' now and dont have the cocoa content to be classed as chocolate at all, dispite what the cadbury advertising tries to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The original Miniature heroes were amazing

Crunchie
    Fuse
    Picnic

Were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The original Miniature heroes were amazing

Crunchie
    Fuse
    Picnic

Were lovely.
    And yet people will keep buying them, for nostalgic reasons/out of habit.

There should be a boycott.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk will be discussing this pressing issue between now and one O'clock.

Sweeties gone bigger? Bogger talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Both Cadbury's and Nestle chocolates are pure shit. I'd rather get nice bar of real chocolate than a massive tin of mass produced muck any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy a dozen bars of chocolate in Lidl and break them into chunks, place them in an empty sweet tin.

listermint wrote: »
    Well as you can see the box sizes have been decreasing for years (in weight)
    I can't see anything of the sort. I now suspect, though, that there is a picture in the link, which, for some reason, is not showing up on my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't care what anybody says, half a tin of roses makes an ideal breakfast over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭surferdudz

Heros for me!!!

perfect selection for familys.....kids tend to hate the soft centres ..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Loudova

More importantly, are the coffee creams finally back?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - Check out the YLYL thread, Tallon posted a series of pictures in there showing how a box of Roses has virtually halved in size in the last 4-5 years.

The coffee creams were horrible. No one ever ate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Loudova

The coffee creams were horrible. No one ever ate them.

That's not true! I did :(

Advertisement