Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 'rounds' of drink while in a pub ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never do it, people have different budgets and drink at different rates. Just easier to buy drinks yourself. I'll buy someone a drink and let them owe me one back or whatever, but never do organised rounds.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Was reading the 'stingiest' thread and a few posters mention about a person they know hating to buy the round when it comes to their turn. Which makes me think, How many people do the round thing? Talking about a group like ... (poll included)

For me, I'd always buy my own drink. As would my friends. Sure if one of us was short another would buy a pint no problem. But never the rounds thing and to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised that one or two people I know would take advantage of it. Be ordering doubles for themselves when its someone elses turn to pay but order cheap when it came to theirs.... Or just simply buy a round or two then say they 'dont have the money'

I dislike these threads so much.

All my mates drink larger, we do rounds generally 3/4 in the group. no one takes the piss.

I do wonder at people who allow others to steal drinks or generally go around to stinge you out of money on doubles call these guys your mates?

Why do you go out with them or know them for that matter if they are such stinge balls.

I dont have this issue with any of my immediate friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Used to do it years ago but one day just told people i'll buy my own. Really enjoyed my nights out after that just going at my own pace and saved a fortune too boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

listermint wrote: »
    I dislike these threads so much.

All my mates drink larger, we do rounds generally 3/4 in the group. no one takes the piss.

I do wonder at people who allow others to steal drinks or generally go around to stinge you out of money on doubles call these guys your mates?

Why do you go out with them or know them for that matter if they are such stinge balls.

I dont have this issue with any of my immediate friends.

agreed ^

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Used to do rounds but it used to clean my wallet out and I hated waiting others to finish their pints.

Nowadays, I pack a cyanide pill for when it comes to my round. Easy escape! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I like the system in my local, but could never see it working in Ireland, too many dishonest people imo. You order your first round, sit down, beers dropped down and you'll get a tick on your beermat. New beer gets dropped down when ready and another tick. Everyone drinks at their own pace and at the end of the night you pay for whatever is ticked off on your own beermat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Always buy in rounds when there's 4 or less people, particularly at the beginning. Then after a while people tend to drop off and go at their own pace. It becomes very relaxed round-buying. i.e. stand up and ask who wants a drink. It all works out in the end, so if you buy a small round, you do another one sooner rather than later.

It all works out in the end, none of us would be scabby or trying to dodge rounds.

I definitely notice that I drink faster in rounds. Not that we're racing or anything, but it definitely promotes knocking off that last 1/4 pint quicker than normal.

I am drunk now as it happens. 10am is the bestest time for that. In work n' all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Its to save a dozen people opening their purses and counting out change for their drink OR a dozen people handing in €50 notes and each expecting change. The night becomes a bit like standing behind the person at the Tesco checkout who is feeding in 1c coins into the machine, and then rooting around in their bag because they just know they have some other change somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Personally, I prefer rounds as it saves you all having to go up to the bar individually every single time for a drink, especially if it's very busy. Once you've done your round, that's it for 4 or 5 or whatever drinks. Generally, real mates will be conscious of not ordering more expensive drinks if everyone else is just on pints and go seperate in those cases. They certainly would not dodge rounds deliberately and if they did, why would you even drink or be mates with those type of people?

I can understand it getting a bit more awkward when out with your non regular mates - eg workmates or an acquaintance who just happens to have joined the group that night. I coudn't just not offer them a drink just because they were not part of the regular group. Even if I don't get one back in those cases, so be it. You just don't buy them one again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends a lot on who i'm with. 1 of my brothers and prob no more then a handful of mates, becuase we kniw how each other drinks and from there we can pace with ourselves for a few pints without putting pressure on someone to hurry up witb their turn.

But the amont of times it'll go around before we tail off to our own drinking will depend on how many of us there are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I usually get in rounds with my mates when we head out, it's grand but it gets annoying sometimes if you are finished your drink and you are waiting 20 mins for the next person to get their round.

I went out the other night and decided to stay on my own because the funds are a bit tight. Couldn't believe the money I saved by staying on my own, went out with 100 euro and came home with 50 of it. Going to make staying on my own a regular thing from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Always do rounds with mates.
    Usually 4-5 of us drinking.

If its bigger than that, we might split the group in two or by table. Not because we're cheap asses, but its easier. A table of people will drink at a closer rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Always do rounds. Means you don't have to go to the bar as often! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Always do rounds. None of my mates are in anyway stingy and everyone pays their way. Sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous in that a round will be called and about 2 or 3 of us will try to pay for it!

Do it with work people too, if someone didn't get theirs in it'd be the last time they'd ever be invited into my 'circle' of drinkers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's the problem with the drinks round ,somebody either drinks to fast , to slow or nobody sure who's round it is so I choose a smaller round of about 4 people which makes it quicker and easier to get the rounds in especially if it's just pints .You can easy loose an hr of the night just waiting to be served for large round of drinks .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't do rounds anymore.
    Got caught too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Always do rounds. Means you don't have to go to the bar as often! :)

Yup.
    Makes it easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Usually do rounds if theres no more then 5,6 of us out. Anything over that and its not worth it.

Always get my 6 drinks in and if as a group we're still together by the time the round comes around we decide to break ranks and buy our own or pair up with a buddy whose's drinking a similar dink or similar pace to your own.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    ................ Pay for what you ate instead of this splitting the bill nonsense. I've seen that go very wrong once or twice...................

The wine guzzlers often suggest splitting the bill evenly I notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Pros and cons

Cocktails/Spirits & mixers/Wine - I don't mind doing rounds here cause I can catch up...

Pints - I can't catch up so no point getting rounds in...

• Advertisement
Advertisement