Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 'rounds' of drink while in a pub ...

Options
  • 20-12-2011 3:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Was reading the 'stingiest' thread and a few posters mention about a person they know hating to buy the round when it comes to their turn. Which makes me think, How many people do the round thing? Talking about a group like ... (poll included)

For me, I'd always buy my own drink. As would my friends. Sure if one of us was short another would buy a pint no problem. But never the rounds thing and to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised that one or two people I know would take advantage of it. Be ordering doubles for themselves when its someone elses turn to pay but order cheap when it came to theirs.... Or just simply buy a round or two then say they 'dont have the money'

Do you and your friends do the whole 'rounds' thing? 77 votes

Yes. We do.
    0% 0 votes
    No, we dont.
    100% 77 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We do it very informally usually. If I'm out I usually have to get someone back a drink for the taxi or vice versa and it starts from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

not mad about rounds meself.. i like to go at my own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Voted no as I do9n't more often then I do!
    Depends who I'm with..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Depends really, though mostly do rounds.

The other night I got a round of double vodkas and redbull - 50 quid - Stupid money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Only if I was with two, at the most, close friends. If there's a group of us away on a stag or rugby weekend we split into smaller groups or if people want to take care of themselves that's fine too.

Same with restaurants. Pay for what you ate instead of this splitting the bill nonsense. I've seen that go very wrong once or twice.

For some reason that's beyond me there are those that insist on rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Oranage2 wrote: »

The other night I got a round of double vodkas and redbull - 50 quid - Stupid money
    10 of us out last Saturday night, everyone drinking Vodkas, JD or some other fucked up concotion, round came to €74.30, I nearly dropped dead there and then. Madness really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'm all up for getting rounds and I gladly do it but lately I seem to be getting screwed over with people dodging their round or I'll always be the one to buy one extra round...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Prefer getting my own drink, alot less messy (most of the time that is :p).

Won't mind buying a drink/having one bought for me if we're short, but I'll always reciprocate it the next time we're out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Nope, gets too confusing, especially as we consume more booze. I'd normally do rounds if I was with one or two friends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

i do rounds on pints for the games sat or sundays makes sence if yer with the lads watchin the match rather than all goin to the bar, wouldnt normally do rounds on vodka dont reely drink it but as the 50 quid above suggests its a bit of a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

ThePower11 wrote: »
    10 of us out last Saturday night, everyone drinking Vodkas, JD or some other fucked up concotion, round came to €74.30, I nearly dropped dead there and then. Madness really.

Actually, can I ask ya's both a question.
    Did you get your monies worth of drink that night tho?

Or would of it worked out cheaper just to buy yourself drink for the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

LighterGuy wrote: »

No because I was bought 9 JD's and coke but I didn't drink them all because I'd probably be dead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well my friends have got me loads of times before if I'd no money - So it doesn't bother me that much if it is a little off.

I was meeting with friends i havent seen in a while so the occasion kinda took over - Normally its rounds of pints or if theres only 2 or 3 of us we do rounds - Mostly in a club its do 1 round each then every man for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

depends who im with, not on a budget basis but how well they hold their drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Very Celtic Tiger the whole thing. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You could have got a fair bit of heroin for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Might do it one or two people within the group, usually stems from paying for the taxi to town or who bought the cans beforehand or some such. Usually the same craic later in the night when people start on the shots and people usually do it in twos or threes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I wouldnt be surprised that one or two people I know would take advantage of it. Be ordering doubles for themselves when its someone elses turn to pay but order cheap when it came to theirs.... Or just simply buy a round or two then say they 'dont have the money'

To be honest, I'd be really surprised if any of my mates did that. I'm sure that over the years some may have ordered a double spirit when everyone else was drinking pints but I never got the impression someone was taking the pi$$.

I like rounds, to be honest. I just feel that it's a more sociable way of going out with your mates. I'd never offence if someone wanted to be excluded from them though (which occasionally happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I find you spend way more when you do rounds on a night out. Don't mind doing it with one or two close friends who won't drink too much or go off buying doubles. As soon as I end up with two drinks or a double in my hands I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

You cAnt beat the kitty system. Buy a spAre purse, kitty. Say 10 people are out, each gives 50 and each takes a turn like a round to go buy drinks from kitty, if she runs out everybody tops up by an equal amount. Kitty is used for everything, drink, food, clubs whTever.

Saves a Fortune though I guess more of a girl thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Healio wrote: »
    Very Celtic Tiger the whole thing

Huh?

People were buying rounds long before any imaginary tiger came along. Buying a round is the norm for me, but in the last 2 years I have noticed people are paying for their own individual drinks a lot more.

Were slowly getting onto the Vietnamese way of one or two people cover the entire bill.. Last night, I covered over half the bill for 25 people with food and hours of drinking. My friend's leaving thing so it wasn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Huh?

People were buying rounds long before any imaginary tiger came along. Buying a round is the norm for me, but in the last 2 years I have noticed people are paying for their own individual drinks a lot more.

Same here, although I wouldnt always do rounds, it depends on the people and the circumstances.
    I have noticed a drop off in people doing rounds of late, which is understandable given the times we are in and the cost of drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Buy rounds all the time but I don't always expect a drink to be bought back. It depends on whether that silent round buying agreement is in place or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

You cAnt beat the kitty system. Buy a spAre purse, kitty. Say 10 people are out, each gives 50 and each takes a turn like a round to go buy drinks from kitty, if she runs out everybody tops up by an equal amount. Kitty is used for everything, drink, food, clubs whTever.

Saves a Fortune though I guess more of a girl thing :)

Not at all. Here kitty kitty.

Rounds are fine when the group is small. When it gets too big and everyone has to get their round in (to avoid looking like they're dodging it) you all end up buying drink that people don't really want.

The kitty thing works really well especially when you're on a weekend away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Healio wrote: »
    Very Celtic Tiger the whole thing. . .
    No.
    The whole rounds thing goes back years , there was even a Government ad campaign back in the 70's against doing it!(been trying to find a copy of it online).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Always buy rounds. Its too awkward otherwise as between smokers and going to the bar there would be no one at the table half the time.

Skipping rounds doesn't happen in my group but I imagine if you're drinking with someone who has a tendency to sneakily do it, leave them at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

God no. I don't know any of my mates who do this. Perhaps its more of a older persons thing to do, but I never saw this happening on nights our in college.

There's always one guy though who would take advantage of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I only do it with one other person, or max 2. Gets messy otherwise. It's just nice when your friend gets the beer in and you can stay sitting and likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Typically yep I'll do it. When I'm out with my brothers (and their mates usually), the round can be six or seven people. It's not an issue, everyone gets pints and if anyone even tried to ask for a double or otherwise take the piss, they'd be told to get the boat. Same with my mates, we'll alternate who goes to the bar. If we're on the town and someone wants to change to shorts, we'll usually check with everyone else.

Don't do it with anyone I wouldn't consider a good friend, such as work people. You can't really hound a work colleague into buying their round and give them grief if they're being scabby.

Advertisement