Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

JCJames wrote: »
    After much waiting, I have decided to abandon any informal correspondence with the London embassy whatsoever. It's a total nightmare trying to get answers from these guys, and you'd think a more efficient Q&A service would be in place. Who knows, maybe some of you have had a better experience than me. :confused:

Either way I've given up, and booked my flights to Canada, heading there in 2 weeks, on a standard 6 month UK-citizen holiday stay. From there I will be taking care of my visa application on the UK side. I've pretty much completed it now anyway, just need to send it off. And I imagine I'll be in the same position as you Speri, except you have an email reply!

For anyone in a similar situation, may I draw your attention to the following passages from the IEC website FAQ section...

This pretty much answered my question. I will print this off at least. Not as good as a personalised email but from my understand is exactly what situation I am in.

Good luck to you all. And for me too!

I'm gonna be in the same situation cept mine is maybe a bit more risky!
    I've already been in Canada 1 year and visa expires today (Jan 18th), and I'm currently at home in Ireland on holiday. I've sent my IEC application but yet to hear anything.

My boyfriend and I are flying into Vancouver next Mon the 23rd and simply plan to tell imigration that we worked all last year and are now back to travel BC, the States etc.
    We're both actually going to Vancouver to work (under the table so to speak) until our visas go through.

At the mo I've nothing booked to proove my exit from Canada, or proof of funds or anything like that - do I really really need all this? Can't I just say that I plan to leave through the US but as of yet am not sure of an exact exit date?

Also do I need to apply for a holiday visa or can I just enter the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

Sheebs wrote: »
    I'm gonna be in the same situation cept mine is maybe a bit more risky!
    I've already been in Canada 1 year and visa expires today (Jan 18th), and I'm currently at home in Ireland on holiday. I've sent my IEC application but yet to hear anything.

My boyfriend and I are flying into Vancouver next Mon the 23rd and simply plan to tell imigration that we worked all last year and are now back to travel BC, the States etc.
    We're both actually going to Vancouver to work (under the table so to speak) until our visas go through.

At the mo I've nothing booked to proove my exit from Canada, or proof of funds or anything like that - do I really really need all this? Can't I just say that I plan to leave through the US but as of yet am not sure of an exact exit date?

Also do I need to apply for a holiday visa or can I just enter the country?

Hey there Sheebs.

If you check out this webpage it states which countries/citizens require a Visa to enter Canada as a visitor/tourist. Both UK & Ireland are not there which from my understanding means you can travel solely on a passport without visa. As for UK, I know we can travel for upto 6 months as a visitor.

As for proof of funds for tourists I've not read anything about this. I've never been asked for proof of funds in any country I've entered as a tourist, and I imagine telling them that your parents are willing to support you financially incase you get into trouble would suffice.

I was lucky to find a return flight for so cheap, but also check out this ferry webpage which runs ferries from Victoria over to Seattle. Tickets are pretty cheap compared to flights, so proving you have enough to at least get a ferry out may be enough for proof of exit.

I've also read once you get your 'Letter of Introduction' you have to exit/re-enter Canada at a port of entry, to initiate your IEC work visa. So far I've found out that on a UK passport you need a travel/visitor visa to enter the USA. Unless you have one of the new passports with electronic chip. More info on there here.

Hope that clears up a few things for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hitch11

Can you apply for a second year IEC visa while over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ashemaly65

Could someone post the payment request email (you can take out your personal details) so that we know what to add as beneficiary and such. I know this takes time so id like to do it in advance. Also has anyone wired money through 365 with the bank of ireland? Can i do this online because that would make sending from canada a lot easier.....any help with this would be great! I wired money to my irish account from here 3 days ago and it hasnt left my account so i dont want to risk my payment not getting to the embassy...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

ashemaly65 wrote: »
    Could someone post the payment request email (you can take out your personal details) so that we know what to add as beneficiary and such. I know this takes time so id like to do it in advance. Also has anyone wired money through 365 with the bank of ireland? Can i do this online because that would make sending from canada a lot easier.....any help with this would be great! I wired money to my irish account from here 3 days ago and it hasnt left my account so i dont want to risk my payment not getting to the embassy...

Account Name: The Canadian Embassy
    Bank Name: Allied Irish Bank Plc
    Address: Grafton Street
    Dublin Ireland
    Account No: 41489092
    Sort Code: 93-12-33
    IBAN: IE71 AIBK 9312 3341 489092
    Swift Code: AIBKIE2D

Are the details that were emailed to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 speri_mental

After much waiting, I have decided to abandon any informal correspondence with the London embassy whatsoever. It's a total nightmare trying to get answers from these guys, and you'd think a more efficient Q&A service would be in place. Who knows, maybe some of you have had a better experience than me. :confused:

Either way I've given up, and booked my flights to Canada, heading there in 2 weeks, on a standard 6 month UK-citizen holiday stay. From there I will be taking care of my visa application on the UK side. I've pretty much completed it now anyway, just need to send it off. And I imagine I'll be in the same position as you Speri, except you have an email reply!

For anyone in a similar situation, may I draw your attention to the following passages from the IEC website FAQ section...

This pretty much answered my question. I will print this off at least. Not as good as a personalised email but from my understand is exactly what situation I am in.

Good luck to you all. And for me too!

This is the exact email that they sent me from london, so this is all im going to have as well. I'm doing likewise and going to head over in 3 weeks time. Hoping il get an email in that time to say they've received my application.

Only worried about paying the fee from canada. Hopefully my mam can send it from ireland. Seems like it's going to take too long to get it wired from a Canadian bank.

Best of luck, hope things get sorted sooner rather than later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

it takes about 3 days to wire it from a canadian bank

there seems to be a massive misunderstanding of how difficult that is

you can do it online, you dont need to set up a beneficiary, and it takes about 2 mins

you can do it online, you dont need to set up a beneficiary, and it takes about 2 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speri_mental

Helix wrote: »

Oh you can do it online?! Sweeeet! That saves a lot of hassle! :) Thanks! I'm still waiting to hear back from them about receiving my application. So I suppose I've a bit to go.

yeah once you've access to online banking you just transfer the money over and take a screen grab, then mail it to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Helix wrote: »
    yeah once you've access to online banking you just transfer the money over and take a screen grab, then mail it to them

I had to e-mail them my IMM1295 file, but it had to be re-named to the WTN number (you use the WTN number as a reference with your payment)

Didn't ask for a screenshot :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20 soundofsounds

Hey Guys...I have a quick question regarding the IEC visa....can I apply for a second visa this year?
    So far I've:
    Had a year visa with usit in 2011,
    A year visa with the IEC for this year....
    I believe I can apply for a second IEC visa??? Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

Hey Guys...I have a quick question regarding the IEC visa....can I apply for a second visa this year?
    So far I've:
    Had a year visa with usit in 2011,
    A year visa with the IEC for this year....
    I believe I can apply for a second IEC visa??? Is this correct?

Correct! But you have to do the entire application process all over again.

Answer to your question is found here

this is the part you are looking for i think :)
    Extending Your Stay in Canada

I'm currently in Canada as an IEC working holiday participant. Can I extend my current work permit, or do I have to apply again?

You cannot extend your work permit for a second year. In order to take part in the IEC initiative you will need to apply again, ensuring that you meet the new criteria. If you are accepted, you will have to leave Canada and re-enter with your new Letter of Introduction in order to be issued your new work permit.

Correct! But you have to do the entire application process all over again.

Answer to your question is found here

this is the part you are looking for i think :)

Excellent...thats what I thought/hoped - thanks for letting me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

Excellent...thats what I thought/hoped - thanks for letting me know!

Yeah but it sounds like you will be screwed going for the second IEC visa by the new amendment to the rules saying you have to have lived 18 months out of the last three years in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Hey guys how long on average were you waiting for an initial confirmation email from London? My package got delivered 8 days ago and still no email!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bagsofballs

When filling in the IM1295 form what date have people used in the country of residence section, from is obviously my D.O.B but what about the 'to' date?? it also wont let me type the dates, only lets me select from a calender :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ashemaly65

kevthecelt wrote: »
    Hey guys how long on average were you waiting for an initial confirmation email from London? My package got delivered 8 days ago and still no email!

Mine arrived in London on the 29th of december and I just got confirmation of receipt 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 namrod28

Hi im currently filling out the iec forms and have a question about the jobs part. Im currently unemplyed but have been working on a project for the last year and i put that i was working on this project down on the application. Does his matter? or should i have put down that i was unemloyed? have it printed out and ready to go like, im prob worrying about nothing here. Thanks for any response.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 namrod28

also on filling in the employment section if you need a second print out do you fill it in on the computer and then print it or do you print it and then fill it in with a pen or whatever.

• Advertisement

Yeah but it sounds like you will be screwed going for the second IEC visa by the new amendment to the rules saying you have to have lived 18 months out of the last three years in Ireland.

No I dont think so. I've only lived in Canada for a year (2011) so I've lived in Ireland for 24 months out of the last three years....does this sound right to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

No I dont think so. I've only lived in Canada for a year (2011) so I've lived in Ireland for 24 months out of the last three years....does this sound right to you?

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I was referring to your proposed plan to get the second IEC visa and not the current IEC visa you are applying for. You are fine with regard to the new rule currently as you say but you might hit problems next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Sync wrote: »
    I had to e-mail them my IMM1295 file, but it had to be re-named to the WTN number (you use the WTN number as a reference with your payment)

Didn't ask for a screenshot :o

Hey Sync,

I just got my email today requesting payment. Last year they asked you to upload your payment receipt. But this year nothing :confused: jsut to pay it I might just send a screen shot just incase.

How did you pay it? was it a wire transfer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

orgaz wrote: »
    Hey Sync,

I just got my email today requesting payment. Last year they asked you to upload your payment receipt. But this year nothing :confused: jsut to pay it I might just send a screen shot just incase.

How did you pay it? was it a wire transfer?

When was your received in london?

C@non wrote: »
    When was your received in london?

I sent it on 20th December from Canada and it was only recevied on monday 16th, and just got an email this morning requesting payment so I am on my way to do that now..

When did you send yours?

I sent it on 20th December from Canada and it was only recevied on monday 16th, and just got an email this morning requesting payment so I am on my way to do that now..

When did you send yours?

i had to send mine from canada to ireland and then to the uk.. so they only received it around the 8th of Jan :( so i will be waiting for a wile! i know they received it but i have no idea if its all ok!

and is a Second IEC application rite?

But they must of received it before the 16th or was it registered post?

C@non wrote: »
    and is a Second IEC application rite?

But they must of received it before the 16th or was it registered post?

Yes its my second year visa. I sent it on the 20th of December tracked from Canada Post and they only received it on the 16th Jan. Canada Post havent even updated there records to say it was delievered. I just got a confirmation email from IEC they received it and then Today I got an email requesting payment.

I think it really is the luck of the draw, i dont think IEC have an actual process on how they deal with the applications because everyone's so far hasnt been processed in order. So dont worry im sure everything is fine and you will hear from them soon. Keep us posted. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

Hey guys,

So I got my confirmation of payment today and they said that if I need a medical to let them know....how do we know what jobs require a medical over in Canada?!

Also, anyone have any idea how long the last phase should take? I know they say 6 weeks but SURELY it can't take that long! I wanna go ASAP!

• Advertisement

Yes its my second year visa. I sent it on the 20th of December tracked from Canada Post and they only received it on the 16th Jan. Canada Post havent even updated there records to say it was delievered. I just got a confirmation email from IEC they received it and then Today I got an email requesting payment.

I think it really is the luck of the draw, i dont think IEC have an actual process on how they deal with the applications because everyone's so far hasnt been processed in order. So dont worry im sure everything is fine and you will hear from them soon. Keep us posted. Best of luck.

Im sure you are rite about all that, i remember last year the same happened.. i hoped it would be faster this year as my visa expires at the end of march :(

Advertisement