Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Downloading isn't stealing, it's duplicating.

Knew someone would shit on about it!
    Look, lets not derail this thread into downloading :) ... be it stealing, be in duplicating ... be it whatever. Each to their own.

But its the aspect of getting something for free that otherwise would cost you money to purchase. Call it what you want :) But call a spade a spade when it comes down to the defining aspect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

The risk versus reward relationship seems messed up there.
    Free Lunch versus a criminal record in a recession which will send your CV straight to the waste paper basket and prevent you from getting a Green Card etc.
    Not only that but the guy is taking the risk on behalf of someone else who will eat the lunch without taking any of the risk. The guy hiding it under his coat also apparently pays for his own lunch while he hides lunch for others if I read correctly. None of that makes sense whether they pay him for the lunch he steals or not. Besides all of that it's just wrong and he shoudn't be doing it. For feck sake he even has a job. No excuses there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Knew someone would shit on about it!
    Look, lets not derail this thread into downloading :) ... be it stealing, be in duplicating ... be it whatever. Each to their own.

But its the aspect of getting something for free that otherwise would cost you money to purchase. Call it what you want :) But call a spade a spade.

Just don't think you can say it's on par with petty theft.

It's like that anti-piracy advert you see when you actually buy a DVD.

"you wouldn't steal a handbag".

No I wouldn't but Im gonna download everything for now on because of your shi*e ad.

Just don't think you can say it's on par with petty theft.

It's like that anti-piracy advert you see when you actually buy a DVD.

"you wouldn't steal a handbag".

No I wouldn't but Im gonna download everything for now on because of your shi*e ad.

Shite ad?
    as in advert?
    you feeling alright. you see an advert with my name on it?

Shite ad?

Yes
    as in advert?

Yea.
    you feeling alright

Fine thanks, yourself?
    you see an advert with my name on it?

No.

• Advertisement

Care to explain to me, and the rest of boards, as to what advert that would be?

or did you fu*k up and say advert instead of post & now trying to cover it up?

You're confusing yourself. I was ranting about the piracy advertisement, not you ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

I think he is actually talking about the "You wouldn't steal a handbag/car/baby/movie ads at the start of a dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I can honestly say I have never stolen a thing in my life.
    I feel better for it.
    Over the years I have met some very prolific thieves, and experience has taught me to avoid these people.
    I simply put people into 2 categories; criminals, and law abiding citizens.
    I choose to have people around me that are law abiding citizens. When you are in prison you are not afforded that luxury, and that for me is enough deterrent.
    I have been flat broke, homeless, and starving in my life. Believe me I have thought about stealing. I was so desperate I even considered committing a crime just to get jailed so I could be warm and fed.
    But even in those times when I had nothing, I never stole.

You're confusing yourself. I was ranting about the piracy advertisement, not you ffs.

Well, coletrain,
    I just a right vibe off you.
    A person who downloads .. and hey, i've downloaded my share over the years and will continue to do so ;) ... But you justify your downloading as not stealing, but duplicating. To soften to blow to your conscience. While me, I download. So what. So be it.

And thats one thing I hate in a person ... While not being honest to themselves but also they try and justify (or mask) their actions onto others. To ease their conscience of doing something illegal. Rather than simply saying "i dont give a fuck"

• Advertisement

I think he is actually talking about the "You wouldn't steal a handbag/car/baby/movie ads at the start of a dvd.

But re-read my post.
    I was making a statement about how the average person would not do what that annoying dvd advert says ... but would gladly download, buy off the illegal blackmarket, etc (rather than go into a shop and take)
    The "grey area" as I said in my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

There's nothing commendable about him OP. People who cheat the self service machines at Tesco are the lowest of the low. Worse than murderers, excessive ticklers, rapists and serial bigamists in my eyes :cool:
    :D

You would if you could download it.

Best post in this section so far:D

Well, coletrain,
    I just a right vibe off you.
    A person who downloads .. and hey, i've downloaded my share over the years and will continue to do so ;) ... But you justify your downloading as not stealing, but duplicating. To soften to blow to your conscience. While me, I download. So what. So be it.

And thats one thing I hate in a person ... While not being honest to themselves but also they try and justify (or mask) their actions onto others. To ease their conscience of doing something illegal. Rather than simply saying "i dont give a fuck"

Not being honest to myself?
    Softening blows to my conscience?

You misread a post above and now you're trying to play forum psychiatrist so you don't look like such a tit. That's the vibe I'm getting off you and that's one thing I hate in a person.

Gilldog wrote: »
    Reminds me of that IT Crowd piracy ad - "you wouldn't steal a baby..!" :D

I dunno...maybe I just can't decide if I think he's an asshole for doing it or if im jealous of his skills.

It's classic competitive behaviour,really think these people feel hard done by in life and it's their subconcious urge to settle their personal score,eg:thieve's co worker/friend,family member buys new luxurious item,thief gets jealous and steals something luxurious for themselves to compensate their feelings of financial inadequacy.just a theory of mine.Know a girl(defo not me btw) and this girl steals most of her own clothes,changes barcode stickers to the price she likes and more but certainly don't want to promote these actions by describing them in detail,might give somebody ideas;) she's calmed it done a lot,strangely enough soon after the end of "The Celtic Tiger";)

Not being honest to myself?
    Softening blows to my conscience?

You misread a post above and now you're trying to play forum psychiatrist so you don't look like such a tit. That's the vibe I'm getting off you and that's one thing I hate in a person.

Thats odd.
    You've recycled my previous post....that being the themes of misread + directing an assumption to ones own character. Is that not a rehash?

Doesnt take a psychiatrist to spot that ;) .. or perhaps you were trying to spin what I said onto myself to validate your opinion? .... poorly. Mister "i'd never steal, i only duplicate! theres a difference mister bad man!" :pac:

Thats odd.
    You've recycled my previous post....that being the themes of misread + directing an assumption to ones own character. Is that not a rehash?

Doesnt take a psychiatrist to spot that ;) .. or perhaps you were trying to spin what I said onto myself to validate your opinion? .... poorly. Mister "i'd never steal, i only duplicate! theres a difference mister bad man!" :pac:

WTF are you on about?

WTF are you on about?

Ahhh, I'm just slagging you :)
    Because you are the type of person to justify every so called "bad thing" to yourself, and project your innocence on to others. As illustrated with your "its duplicating" post :) ... (you can read alot from what a person says in certain topics)

Don't take it personally. I've just met my fair share of people who twist what they do in life. To suit their conscience. In this example, I download and I quite frankly dont give a fu*k. I admit its illegal. But you ... you're the type of guy who downloads and says its nothing 'wrong' ;) ... not for legal reasons. Because its who you are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So your brother knows and hasn't reported him ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So your brother knows and hasn't reported him ?

Ah now it would be fairer to have a word with him, give him a warning rather than getting him sacked like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

What sort of scumbag would rob lunch for himself and make his coleagues pay for theirs??

You should make a list of what everyone in the office wants for lunch and make him rob it all...................that will learn him!!

And i want a chicken roll, no butter or mayo!!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Thieves are scum, and I'd have no problem with repeat offenders having their hands chopped off. Simples :)
    I'm not a violent person by nature either, very passive generally. I just don't think these scum bags should be treated like real people. I know of people who lose sleep thinking someone will break in, tie them up, (maybe even rape the women?) and rob the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It starts with petty thieving and just gets worse and worse. Since retailers have to allow for stuff being stolen, it just goes onto the price that everyone else pays.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Yeah if there was no shoplifting then Tesco would immediately lower all their prices.

As if...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"i'd never steal, i only duplicate! theres a difference mister bad man!" :pac:

He's right that it's not stealing. Not legally, nor morally.

By downloading a film you are denying the creator their right to control the distribution of their creation.

You are not stealing the film by any definition of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

brummytom wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to be suffering from something?

Some people are just thieving bastards.

HAHA...brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Thieves are scum, and I'd have no problem with repeat offenders having their hands chopped off. Simples :)
    I'm not a violent person by nature either, very passive generally. I just don't think these scum bags should be treated like real people. I know of people who lose sleep thinking someone will break in, tie them up, (maybe even rape the women?) and rob the place.

I like your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. However I fear this type of regime when applied to Ireland would get implemented as follows: People would end up with their remote control pressing fingers being chopped off for not having a TV licence while the connected scum who bankrupted and raped the country would be walking around smirking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

frag420 wrote: »
    What sort of scumbag would rob lunch for himself and make his coleagues pay for theirs??

You should make a list of what everyone in the office wants for lunch and make him rob it all...................that will learn him!!

And i want a chicken roll, no butter or mayo!!

frAg

When I was young I used to steal those big dairy milk bars and sell them to the fat kid in the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

psychward wrote: »
    I like your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. However I fear this type of regime when applied to Ireland would get implemented as follows: People would end up with their remote control pressing fingers being chopped off for not having a TV licence while the connected scum who bankrupted and raped the country would be walking around smirking.
    It will take years of hard work to undo the wreckage the state has created here in that regard. Liberals will say were crazy rednecks and the likes, but it's time to cut the bull****.

Advertisement