Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing

Options
  • 19-12-2011 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

My brother told me recently about his workmate who regularly steals food/ drink / newspapers from the shop near their work. He said that the guy volunteers to get everybody's lunch, and while he's there just hides his own stuff under his jacket, and has been getting away with it for ages :eek:.
    Apparently, he also uses the self checkout things in Tesco when he can and always puts through one or two cheap items, and steals the rest.

And he's never been caught!

I'm a bit envious of the cheek of this guy, because im the total opposite - so paranoid that every security guard is watching my every move, even though I've never stolen anything.

Am I totally naive or do people do this regularly and think its ok??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

You wouldn't steal a lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's fine sure, no one minds, we're in a recession after all

(When the Gardai arrest him they wont give a sh1t about the recession, trust me, they'll let him go and won't press charges)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Fooking scumbag, stealing our jobs!!!!

/food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I grew out of that when I was about 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I borrow films all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

There's nothing commendable about him OP. People who cheat the self service machines at Tesco are the lowest of the low. Worse than murderers, excessive ticklers, rapists and serial bigamists in my eyes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

if you work in any type of retail you'll quickly learn that a sh!t load of stuff walks out the door everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

I grew out of that when I was about 12.

I never grew into it.....I imagine a life of crime could be quite addictive when one would really commit to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

amacca wrote: »
    I never grew into it.....I imagine a life of crime could be quite addictive when one would really commit to it though.

I dunno.

It's often been said that if the effort people put into being a drug dealer or career criminal was expended in the pursuit of a legitimate career path the person would be just as successful if not more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Sounds like he is suffering from kleptomania and needs help. I had a friend like that when I was younger, it can become a very tough, sad situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

mojesius wrote: »
    Sounds like he is suffering from kleptomania and needs help. I had a friend like that when I was younger, it can become a very tough, sad situation.
    Why does everyone have to be suffering from something?

Some people are just thieving bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

Superbus wrote: »
    You wouldn't steal a lunch.

Reminds me of that IT Crowd piracy ad - "you wouldn't steal a baby..!" :D

I dunno...maybe I just can't decide if I think he's an asshole for doing it or if im jealous of his skills.

I dunno.

It's often been said that if the effort people put into being a drug dealer or career criminal was expended in the pursuit of a legitimate career path the person would be just as successful if not more so.

I doubt it. Selling drugs & nicking stuff doesn't take much effort or any great level of skill or intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Never really got into the stealing from shops scene to be honest. Although Super Hans looks pretty cool when he does it.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

brummytom wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to be suffering from something?

Some people are just thieving bastards.

I didn't say everyone has to be suffering with something.

Just making an observation. If he keeps boasting about it and repeating it, he's obviously getting kicks off it - A possible symptom of kleptomania.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kleptomania/DS01034/DSECTION=causes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It sounds like this guy is doing it for the thrill which is so bad, if someone was stealing and not physically harming anyone for survival that is a different matter, a young misguided teen is even excusable.

Not a working man or a bored housewife, although the housewife isn't so bad as she won't get sacked from her job and feck up her chances of getting another one.

It's been really busy as it usually is during the Christmas shopping period and I've been in lots of situations where I could of slipped something up my sleeve or in my bag.. I don't have the money to buy these things really but I would feel so bad and guilty, I'd never be able to go back there because they know you've stolen after you've left the shop a lot of the time and pass your image onto the gaurds and over a bag of sweets and a sambo ah now.

I feel like this guy has talked himself into thinking this is fine and puts back into his life a little spark of excitement again, its probably habitual if its an addiction issue than shoplifting isn't the problem its quite easy to avoid doing that its the dealing with whats pushing him to do that which is going to be the kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I would never steal anything anyhoo im now off to download some albums from megaupload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

who steals now days.....:pac:

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I would never steal anything anyhoo im now off to download some albums from megaupload

You wouldn't steal a car?

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    You wouldn't steal a car?

You would if you could download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Gilldog wrote: »
    Stealing

I read the title and thought, off with his hands.
    Tesco

Then I read who from and thought, give him a medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'm a bit envious of the cheek of this guy, because im the total opposite - so paranoid that every security guard is watching my every move, even though I've never stolen anything.
    The reason I don't steal has nothing to do with the security guard watching.

Its because I'm not a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

....Apparently, he also uses the self checkout things in Tesco when he can and always puts through one or two cheap items, and steals the rest. And he's never been caught!

Take that with a hefty pinch of salt op. Because thats a load of bull****.
    Tesco aint fools. When the self-service till idea was popping around head office they immediately thought of people abusing it. Why you think there are so many precautions with its system?

I reckon ever since they were brought in, alot of people have all be saying how they stole shit. Putting 3 items through while not paying for 10. Such bull****. You could only get away with little small items and certainly not more than one or two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The reason I don't steal has nothing to do with the security guard watching.

Its because I'm not a dick.

This.

I can understand the old cliche of stealing a loaf of bread for your starving family etc. But anyone stealing newspapers who can obviously afford them is best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

mojesius wrote: »
    Or maybe he's just an opportunist. I used to shoplift regularly when I was in my teens. I grew out of it. Some people don't. He'll most likely stop when he gets caught, if not, the next time. Then if he doesn't stop, you could start thinking maybe he's a kleptomaniac. More likely he's just a thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I doubt it. Selling drugs & nicking stuff doesn't take much effort or any great level of skill or intelligence.

Not at the lower levels anyway but look at those like the Penguin or Christy Kinahan, I'm sure these guys are very clever. They would need to be in their line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Everyone steals. In one way or the other.
    You can get alot of hypocrisy with such threads as these. That its 'utter wrong' to steal. No matter how small it is... Same person downloads tho.

Seems to be a grey area between physical and digital.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I used to steal when I was around 12. Every day after school myself and a friend would go into Super Valu, pick up and bottle of coke and a bag of walkers crisps each, walk out and sit on the bench and munch on. Did this for a year straight.
    Then one day I stealing those sticky eye balls you can get over Halloween and got caught. He told me he was going to my parents and the guards so naturally at 12 I got pretty scared, cried I believe :pac: but he never went ahead with it. After that I stopped hanging with that douche of a friend and didn't ever rob again. i think he knew himself that he had changed my life for ever and fair play to him, he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Everyone steals. In one way or the other.
    You can get alot of hypocrisy with such threads as these. That its 'utter wrong' to steal. No matter how small it is... Same person downloads tho.

Seems to be a grey area between physical and digital.

Downloading isn't stealing, it's duplicating.

Advertisement