Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lana Del Rey

Options
  • 19-12-2011 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

What do people think of her?

Apparently some people are calling shenanigans on her authenticity - her old music before her new album has disappeared from the internet, she claimed to have been raised on a trailer park, but her father is actually a multi-millionaire, supposedly she's had plastic surgery, and people are claiming her look and musical style have been moulded by record execs and managers (she freely admits that her name was changed by managers and lawyers). Basically, some people don't believe that she's anything more than a product.

I'm not sure how true any of the above is, or if it even matters. The songs are good, whether they're genuinely hers or not. Also, it's pop music. Lady Gaga is the biggest faker in the industry, but she's still a good pop star. I'm not sure how important authenticity is in pop music.

I've only heard a few of her songs so far, but I think she's got some good stuff. I think she'll be quite big, regardless.

Has anyone seen her live? Is she any good on that front?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

old news tbh, it was a great gimmick by her and fair play she used it to her advantage. Also as you said it's pop music so i might move it over to gen music, i'll see what jeff says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The single is great. I know nothing more about her.

Happy to leave it here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Move it over if yiz want lads! I forgot about the general music place when I posted it, so if ye think it's better suited there, then go ahead.

Move it over if yiz want lads! I forgot about the general music place when I posted it, so if ye think it's better suited there, then go ahead.

i'll leave it here for a few days and move it over then, you should get the most coverage that way.

Only really like video games, don't think much of the other singles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Really like 'born to die' single...very good tune

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Video Games is a pretty hypnotic song, but the whole background narrative makes it hard to know what to think of the whole situation. Hopefully her album will be noteworthy for content rather than hype and controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Love her, there's no denying she's going to be huge this year. I don't have a problem with the Lizzie Grant business, the music on that album just sounds like a less developed version of the music she is making now imo. Her videos were pretty much the same style. I don't doubt that she had to undergo some 'rebranding' to find popularity. Don't most artists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Looks to me like she was invented in a lab. The look, the music, the videos and the songwriting are trying too hard to appeal to everyone...the pop and the indie crowd. I can see right through it, it's a manifactured act but I have to say it's a very good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Liquidator

Not bothered at all about any of this background shite...The girl has tunes and could be massive from next year onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Not bothered at all about any of this background shite...The girl has tunes and could be massive from next year onwards.

True.

She never denied anything about life or her past, sure hasn't all the best had a helping hand. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Really like all the songs I've listened to by her I must say, and very much looking forward to seeing what the album will be like.

Personally, I couldn't care less about her background and her invented image. There's loads of bands/artists who have had similar influence from management and record companies, and that's not even thinking about pop stars like Gaga and so on, Stiff Little Fingers and The Sex Pistols being two notable examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Hate to be a spoil sport... But I can't stand her...

Singles are pretty boring IMO... Video Games is one of the mopiest, dreary songs I've heard in years... One of the few songs I actually have to change the radio station over...

Her image seems VERY manufactured too... Seems like a discount Amy Winehoue (whose music I'm not a fan of either). The rumors about her family, surgery don't help my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

That Video Games song absolutely wrecks my head.

Apparently she has the false past of Viva Brother as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Shocked to see how many people like her music on here. What I've heard has been some of the most bland, boring, broad and something else that starts with b stuff I've heard in a while. But yeah, she's got everyone eating out of her hand and all that. I'm not happy about any of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I'm not happy about any of this.

Why would you let it bother you that much?

Sure, the whole situation may be a cynical marketing exercise, but Video Games - while not the second coming or any nonsense like that - is a damn sight better than most crap hitting the charts these days.

I'd rather a fresh, well written song be attracting millions of listeners than any of the countless bland, derivative karaoke acts society has taken it upon itself to proclaim as 'talented'. She's a singer-songwriter. She's not a ****ing war criminal. And everyone, as always, is entitled to think what they want.

Personally, I prefer Del Rey's stuff to the vast majority of 'pop' music these days, but nor am I going to set up a small shrine to Ms. Del Ray in my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Decent pop songs, couldn't care less about her being 'fake', music is more important than image.

Look at Lady Gaga, self proclaimed bastion of original daring ideas when in reality she just pumps out the same bland pop numbers as the rest of them. At least video games is well written

Why would you let it bother you that much?

I'd rather a fresh, well written song be attracting millions of listeners than any of the countless bland, derivative karaoke acts society has taken it upon itself to proclaim as 'talented'. She's a singer-songwriter. She's not a ****ing war criminal.

I like to get annoyed at stuff, makes me more appreciative of good music/better at joking with friends.
    But seriously her music is a tragedy on par with human trafficking.
    I don't really see much difference to her and most chart music, to me, she just seems like Adele but with more of a push towards 'indie' crowds(she does have a very tumblry aesthetic going on, especially that first video), which is interesting 'cause I seem to remember Adele being the same at the start of her career. Judging from that, I'd say she'll have a similar arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,126 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I fcuking hate that Video Games single. Christ its on every radio station, played to death.

And its as dull as dishwater.

If she's the 'next big thing', count me out of music for a while. I was just getting over Adele.

As for the plastic surgery, YouTube her on the Jools Holland show. Never seen sillier lips. A shame that someone who's 20 (is she?) thinks she needs surgery.

Currently No.1 in the music charts.

So yes. I do think Video Games is ever so slightly better than your average chart hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Currently No.1 in the music charts.

Sailing close to the ban wind there Johnny posting sh*te like that!

Sailing close to the ban wind there Johnny posting sh*te like that!

Posted for information and comparisons sake only.

I should have added a Not Safe for Anyone Living or Dead tag.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I like to get annoyed at stuff, makes me more appreciative of good music/better at joking with friends.
    But seriously her music is a tragedy on par with human trafficking.
    I don't really see much difference to her and most chart music, to me, she just seems like Adele but with more of a push towards 'indie' crowds(she does have a very tumblry aesthetic going on, especially that first video), which is interesting 'cause I seem to remember Adele being the same at the start of her career. Judging from that, I'd say she'll have a similar arc.

heh, that sentence gave me a good old laugh. Way to go super duper OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I think it's a great pop song, what is there to get up in arms about? There's nothing wrong with pop music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

NEWSFLASH - music is subjective!!!

I like her stuff. i dont' really understand how anyone could think video games is a 'bad song' as such. take the background sh1te out of the equation and its a good, sombre, quite beautiful pop song. funny how people can get their knickers in such a twist about it. but each to their own.

i also like radiohead's stuff and i've always understood how others might find it 'dull', 'dreary', 'drab' bla bla bla. different strokes people...

copacetic wrote: »
    heh, that sentence gave me a good old laugh. Way to go super duper OTT.

Hahaha I was wondering if anyone got the reference. It's from Parks and Recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I quite like her to be honest. Im not going to justify it. If you like her music, you like her music. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

No reason to get up in arms over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Arguably, the forum wouldn't be interesting if people didn't discuss things with a bit of passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 greallra

she's a tasty bit of stuff alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

I like the two songs but am skeptical she has a good album in her. Looking forward to the attempt and will download it when it comes out.

Haven't cared a damn for an artists background since I was about 8. I don't care if she has a hype machine or if she was born in a cult of fish worshippers.

Advertisement