Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lana Del Rey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Finally got around to listening "Video Games" after hearing all the hype about it. I wasn't blown away or anything. It's not terrible by any means, and she has a decent voice, but I thought it was quite dull. To me, she seems like a glossier but less interesting Fiona Apple.

Still, more luck to her if she does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

video games..some song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Unquiet Nights

She's certainly being hyped. I'm playing a game to see how long I can go without hearing any of her music.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

a video game???? LoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Hideous performance on SNL, people already calling her one of the worst performers in its history. She looked extremely nervous and uncomfortable, the breathing was all off, she seemed out of time and tune in places. The whole thing was a mess really. Could make or break her. She came out and defended herself by saying that music wasn't the main focus of her life, and that she thought performing on television was "weird" and that sometimes she doesn't feel it, especially if she feels like she's doing it for someone else rather than herself. Seems like a bit of a lame excuse to cover up the fact that she's just not very good live. I watched a few of her other live performances, and while they weren't as bad as SNL, they weren't exactly very convincing either. She looks terribly uncomfortable and awkward onstage, and her voice isn't exactly the strongest live. Could turn out to be one of those that benefits a lot from the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Hipsters will lap that crap up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

One of my mates was pushing her to me last weekend, found it kinda surprising. Guess she's been positioned as the pop act it's ok to like or something, and some people have bought into it.

I think the authenticity thing is a non-issue, I don't think that any performer is just being themselves on stage, everyone's got a persona. If she and her handlers want to reinvent her as some kind of tragic doomed 30s movie star diva thing, then have at it. Some of my favourite bands have been contrived as hell: Roxy Music - a lounge band from the future, Mick Jagger - an authentic LSE blues man, Bowie - whatever the hell he wants to be.

Problem is, you need to be a great actor to pull off that kinda trick, like Ferry, Jagger and Bowie. With Lana del Ray, her music has all the elements in place to be half decent, but it just doesn't reach me. Not terrible or anything, but I don't really believe her. Now, going to the other end of the spectrum, if say Billie Holiday sang Video Games, that would be a whole different story. Maybe she just needs to come back after a couple of years of acting lessons and/or hard living.

Also, her lips are ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I don't think the problem is that you need a good 'actor' to pull off character based music, but that it needs to come from either a real place or a conceptual place and the thing with LDR(Lana Delano Roosevelt is her real name) is that this is seemingly just coming from a commercial place.
    Also, I do think that there are performers that are just being themselves on stage, people strive to do different stuff with music and sometimes that comes from such a personal place that to exaggerate everything would only cheapen it.
    Saw her SNL performance and knew that the internets backlash would be big, but honestly it was as limp and lifeless as her recorded music to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

she'll be gone and forgotten within a year ,all this hype around her will fade . i dont get all the hype to be honest ,she aint that good.people will find someone to drewl over soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I find it a bit suspect that I've yet to see her pull off one of her own songs live. I heard her doing Video Games on Jonathan Ross a while ago and it sounds as though she's trying to sing twelve different songs at once. My other half suggested that it was her way of trying to make a live performance memorable and unique, but it took a detour and ended up at slight wince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Two pretty decent singles released so far well I think anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

A V A wrote: »
    she'll be gone and forgotten within a year ,all this hype around her will fade . i dont get all the hype to be honest ,she aint that good.people will find someone to drewl over soon enough

People thought the same about Madonna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Yahew wrote: »
    People thought the same about Madonna.

not a hope in hell you can compare this young one to madonna ,for the record i dont like Madonna

Say what you want about Madonna, but she had charisma and knew exactly how to sell herself and compensate for where she was lacking. Not sure this girl is as media saavy or charismatic.

A V A wrote: »
    not a hope in hell you can compare this young one to madonna ,for the record i dont like Madonna
    Say what you want about Madonna, but she had charisma and knew exactly how to sell herself and compensate for where she was lacking. Not sure this girl is as media saavy or charismatic.

I said people said the same about Madonna. At the time she became famous for Material Girl, and there were other contenders for female artists around - Suzanne Vega, Cyndi Lauper, Tracey Chapman, Paula Abdul and more - nobody would have guessed her longevity.

Madonna survived, but you can never tell.

video Games is a good song. the fact that her father is a millionaire, or that she was encouraged to change her name is irrelevent to the viral nature of how that song caught on. You cant really fake you tube, or twitter.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's hilarious that the same Net experts and bloggers who were making out she is too perfect, glossy, manufactured, just well trained etc are the same ones now complaining she isn't perfect, glossy and manufactured enough and nervous live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I like the 2 singles. Looking forward to the album, which is due on Friday.
    Don't really care about any of the stories or hype. I didn't even know about any of it when I first heard Video Games.
    KeanSeenan wrote: »
    ...Lana Delano Roosevelt is her real name...

According to her wiki page it's Elizabeth Grant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lana_Del_Rey

I heard songs by her under that name as well, from a few years back.

I said people said the same about Madonna. At the time she became famous for Material Girl, and there were other contenders for female artists around - Suzanne Vega, Cyndi Lauper, Tracey Chapman, Paula Abdul and more - nobody would have guessed her longevity.

Madonna survived, but you can never tell.

video Games is a good song. the fact that her father is a millionaire, or that she was encouraged to change her name is irrelevent to the viral nature of how that song caught on. You cant really fake you tube, or twitter.

With Madonna though, it was all about the songs, as it tends to be in pop music. Nobody has longevity in pop music without the tunes. I'm not denying that Video Games is a good song and is clearly very popular, but if all this stuff about her is true, then I don't know if she'll last. At least Madonna never pretended to be anything that she's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

At least Madonna never pretended to be anything that she's not.
    Except English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Zing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

At least Madonna never pretended to be anything that she's not.
    Except English.

And a competent film director.

She didnt claim to be anything except Madonna, which is as invented as Lana.

She didnt claim to be anything except Madonna, which is as invented as Lana.

Madonna is a superstar persona, yes, but she never pretended she was an organic, struggling singer-songwriter artist, which is what I mean. Madonna is what she is, which is a pop star, and doesn't claim to be anything more. You can take her and leave her and accept her for what she is. That's kind of the difference between someone like Madonna and someone like Lana Del Rey. While I don't think it matters too much, and the songs are good, I can see how it might all fall apart for her. It's one thing having an onstage, invented persona like Madonna or Lady Gaga, it's another thing to pretend to be a real struggling singer-songwriter when you're not, especially if you can't pull it off when it matters. I can see how some people might not take too kindly to that. At least Madonna and Gaga can pull it out of the bag when they need to. In fact, Lady Gaga is actually a pretty amazing live performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Have a feeling there wouldn't be so much hoopla about her if she wasn't such a ride, personally I think she's ok, Video Games is a good pop song but all this hype and she hasn't even released her first album. Btw not sure she is alt/indie, sometimes I wonder what some of the bands and artists here (including ones I've mentioned probably!) are doing on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

The album will make or break her and I'm quite curious to see if it's any good. If she's got an album full of stuff as refined as the two singles she'll make a mint and go on to be huge.

If it's 90% filler it'll stink like a stone. The fact it hasn't been leaked yet has got to be a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sillo wrote: »
    The album will make or break her and I'm quite curious to see if it's any good. If she's got an album full of stuff as refined as the two singles she'll make a mint and go on to be huge.

If it's 90% filler it'll stink like a stone. The fact it hasn't been leaked yet has got to be a bad sign.

Her first two single are quite similiar, she'll need a fair bit of varitation from those songs for it to be successful.

In fairness Maccabee's album only leaked the night before it's release and it was a cracking album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think Del Rey is an interesting study in what it takes to make a semi-credible popstar in 2012. Really clever, calculated hype machine behind her.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I think Del Rey is an interesting study in what it takes to make a semi-credible popstar in 2012. Really clever, calculated hype machine behind her.

If these "hype machines" worked then every you tube video would go viral. They dont. I watched Video Games when about 300K people watched it, it is now 20M. I retweeted it, and other people retweeted me.

We liked the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

If these "hype machines" worked then every you tube video would go viral. They dont. I watched Video Games when about 300K people watched it, it is now 20M. I retweeted it, and other people retweeted me.

We liked the song.

Not so sure about that. I know for a fact that artists like Ed Sheeran have been working with tech companies who analyse data on twitter to find out who are “influential” people online and then personally meet with them/ free intimate gig/ free stuff in order to get the good word out.

No doubt Lana Del Rey is any different. In saying that I think Video Games is a pretty catchy song and not surprised its so popular.

• Advertisement

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. I know for a fact that artists like Ed Sheeran have been working with tech companies who analyse data on twitter to find out who are “influential” people online and then personally meet with them/ free intimate gig/ free stuff in order to get the good word out.

No doubt Lana Del Rey is any different. In saying that I think Video Games is a pretty catchy song and not surprised its so popular.

You wouldnt neet much analaysis to work out who is popular on twitter. Stpehen Fry is a huge "node". The question is whether they can be bought. I doubt it.

Advertisement