Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two outdoor cats insatiable appetites

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kash wrote: »
    I see what you are saying, but I don't see that as undermining my position.
    I don't feel a need to follow that latest trend in cat food advice as the cat is doing extremely well on his own personal diet, which currently happens to be Go Cat and low flying birdies.

When I lived in the city, the cat was aged 1-4, and he did not hunt at all (unless ping-pong balls count) as he was kept inside. He lived almost entirely on dry food (i was a broke student). I had read at the time that raw food would be very good for him, and had sweet-talked a local butcher into giving me a load of leftover meat and poultry, which I painstakingly chopped up into pieces - which Loki promptly turned his nose up at, despite me following the "you're not getting anything else until you eat that" rule.

But despite my best efforst to educcate his palate, he thrived on the dry food at the time - the vet always commeneted on how healthy he was.

We now live in the country, and I am lucky in the fact that he likes to hunt, and seems to be very good at it. He doesn't hunt every day, but i would make an eductaed guess that he catches three times as much as he brings home, and eats less than half of that - so maybe 4-5 small animals a week?

But I am not promoting the dry food diet - nor a dry food and happy hunter diet - what I am promoting is feeding your cat whatever keeps him at his healthiest, and paying attention to whatever that may be. I follow the same rule for my dogs - and will for my future kids too :)

Agree wholeheartedly.
    And I have changed their diet many times.

I no longer have any idea what the cats catch as they have learned NOT to bring it in.. oh but I just moved a cupboard and lo! A bird's wing. Their most spectular catch was a a magpie; feathers all over the drive.

Limited now by the wee girl's issue with grain in any form and with tinned foods in any form. But we get the chicken necks so cheaply that that is fine and she is more than worth it all.

Advertisement