Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which county can we sell to raise money?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

We're in deep poo-poo at the moment, and need creative ways to raise money. How about we sell a couple of counties to Iran, Russia or China to raise money. They could use it as a base for nuclear weapons to target America and the UK, and we could use their money to pay the debt. I vote we sell Louth and Mayo, the Iranians could put their anti UK misiles in Louth and their anti-US missiles in Mayo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That's a louthy idea. Where would we put all our wee?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

How about Dublin? We'd kill two birds with the one stone, since they'd be stuck with our government, and we'd be rid of the ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Pherekydes wrote: »
    That's a louthy idea. Where would we put all our wee?

You know, if we took Louth off the map, it wouldn't really change the general appearance of the island. I see we go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

firefly08 wrote: »
    How about Dublin? We'd kill two birds with the one stone, since they'd be stuck with our government, and we'd be rid of the ****ers.

Yeah, you would be rid of most of the taxpayers too, so that wouldn't really help the rest of the country :)

I'd say Monaghan, just because, well, it's Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Leitrim! Too few people, no real benefits, not too sure we'd get too much for it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Leitrim! Too few people, no real benefits, not too sure we'd get too much for it though!
    This, the know mans land of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Leitrim, who are you kidding !!!. Everyone knows it doesn't exist, its on the list of counties with Longford thats made up to make everyone thing we have 26 counties instead of 20.

I mean really, have you ever met anyone from Leitrim ??? really think about it . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

KTRIC wrote: »
    Leitrim, who are you kidding !!!. Everyone knows it doesn't exist, its on the list of counties with Longford thats made up to make everyone thing we have 26 counties instead of 20.

I mean really, have you ever met anyone from Leitrim ??? really think about it . :rolleyes:

Yeah, sorry :o:o:o

I'll just go now, sorry for any inconvenience caused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:o I want to add another 6 counties :) oops wrong thread :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

We should try sell Antrim, Down, Tyrone, fermanagh, Armagh and Derry --- pull the ole switch-er-oo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Don't be cruel, it's a very modern county, especially since the first traffic lights were installed in 2003. Germans seem to like it though so it could fetch a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Did you ask Germany´s permission yet,afaik it is against the law to sell something without the owners consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Sell most of Dublin. We could use the m50 as the border to keep them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

1.) Round up everyone who is unemployeed/on the dole/collecting government benefits.
    2.) Sell them as slave labour to China

Now, it's a little immoral, but if we can get past that - imagine.....

First - we can lower taxes because we won't need to support those who aren't working.

Second - we get a lot of cash from China for them.

Third - slave labour == cheaper goods. We might save a few cents on our next Chinese purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Robdude wrote: »
    1.) Round up everyone who is unemployeed/on the dole/collecting government benefits.

Now, it's a little immoral, but if we can get past that - imagine.....

First - we can lower taxes because we won't need to support those who aren't working.

Second - we get a lot of cash from China for them.

Third - slave labour == cheaper goods. We might save a few cents on our next Chinese purchase.

Big flaw, China already has more slave labour than it needs, and they're hardworking Chinese people, not feckless Irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

firefly08 wrote: »

If we got rid of Mayo Enda would be an illegal alien so we could deport him in chains back to Castlebar. Also selling Mayo to the Iranians would teach the feckless natives a lesson for inflicting that moron on us every election since 1974.

Big flaw, China already has more slave labour than it needs, and they're hardworking Chinese people, not feckless Irish ones.

Eh - China has cheap labour - but not slave labour. And everyone will work hard provided you make the punishment for not working hard worse than the hard work itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Don't be cruel, it's a very modern county, especially since the first traffic lights were installed in 2003. Germans seem to like it though so it could fetch a decent price.
    Wow, thought you were joking, well done Louth Co.Council :rolleyes:
    I'm sure there's other threads on this already, no need to hi-jack this one.
    But in reply do you mean to work in one of the many companies that sacked their 15year+ workforce and relocated to China. Btw heard from the grapevine, YOUR're going to be laid off for xmas.

Totally unrelated, suddenly I'm inclined to nominate The Pale.

Tomk1 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's other threads on this already, no need to hi-jack this one.
    But in reply do you mean to work in one of the many companies that sacked their 15year+ workforce and relocated to China. Btw heard from the grapevine, YOUR're going to be laid off for xmas.

You can't expect a serious discussion in After Hours, in a thread entitled 'Which country can we sell to raise money'.....

And, if I do get laid off for Christmas, rest assured, I'll be no burden on the Irish taxpayers. Granted, I won't be sold into slavery, but I won't be eligible for any for any of government assistance and will be forced to leave the country. If Ireland treated everyone they way they treat me, they'd be doing a lot better economically :)

Just sayin....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

vetstu wrote: »
    Sell most of Dublin. We could use the m50 as the border to keep them in.

Or sell the all the other counties and use the m50 to keep you all out :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

You can't expect a serious discussion in After Hours, in a thread entitled 'Which country can we sell to raise money'.....

And, if I do get laid off for Christmas, rest assured, I'll be no burden on the Irish taxpayers. Granted, I won't be sold into slavery, but I won't be eligible for any for any of government assistance and will be forced to leave the country. If Ireland treated everyone they way they treat me, they'd be doing a lot better economically :)

Just sayin....
    Fair enough... just bringing the point home, hope your job is secure and no-one this year gets laid off this xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cork. Always Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Wexford, Finally an excuse to get rid of them :)

Offaly aswell since it's just as irritating as Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Eh - China has cheap labour - but not slave labour. And everyone will work hard provided you make the punishment for not working hard worse than the hard work itself.
    China has workers in remote areas that it pays partly in noodles , i cant see even an Irish slave settling for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Oh please pick Dublin!

Sell it to whoever!

We can start up a Culchie tax, Dublins economy will boom every December 8th with all the cross border shopping.

Anyone found wearing a GAA jersey in a nightclub will have to pay an on the spot fine.

Flannerys & Coppers would generate enough money in taxes to pay off the Bailout Debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

What? Nobody wants to get rid of the Kingdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

Westmeath. They can't even come up with an original county name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Oh please pick Dublin!

Sell it to whoever!

We can start up a Culchie tax, Dublins economy will boom every December 8th with all the cross border shopping.

Anyone found wearing a GAA jersey in a nightclub will have to pay an on the spot fine.

Flannerys & Coppers would generate enough money in taxes to pay off the Bailout Debt.

So its offical were selling dublin.

Whats our supermarkets going to be called. I vote we bring back Quinnsworth:P

Advertisement