Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooley Distillery Sold

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Off topic, but where is Tullamore Dew distilled?

I know that Diageo bought Bushmills off IDL a few years ago.

I know that IDL make Paddy / Powers / Jameson in Midleton.

But where is Tullamore Dew made?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Geuze wrote: »
    Off topic, but where is Tullamore Dew distilled?

I know that Diageo bought Bushmills off IDL a few years ago.

I know that IDL make Paddy / Powers / Jameson in Midleton.

But where is Tullamore Dew made?

In Midelton, there's rumors afloat that Grant are looking at building a dedicated distillery for "Tullamore Dew". Supposedly looking at potential of bringing it back to Tullamore where it was last distilled in the 1950's!

The brand had been bought by Powers who distilled it in John's Lane before the move to Midelton. Where it stayed even with change of ownership to first C&C and then Grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Some of the Tullamore Dew range is actually distilled by Cooley too.

Some of the Tullamore Dew range is actually distilled by Cooley too.

The Single Malt right? I forgot bout that one, was just thinking of standard blend. Still personally I would think it's a good thing if Grants do build their own distillery. Question is would they ever create a "Tullamore Single Pot Still" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dubhthach wrote: »
    Question is would they ever create a "Tullamore Single Pot Still" ;)

Single pot still are very much the buzz words in Irish Whiskey at the moment.
    I think it's quite likely that there will be lots of 'single pot still' whiskes knocking around in the not too distant future.

And just to further confuse the whole who distills what? thing....
    IDL distill whiskey for Bushmill's (the single malt, I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I think it's quite likely that there will be lots of 'single pot still' whiskes knocking around in the not too distant future.

I actually did a tour of Bushmills yesterday and asked them about that. IDL only distill the grain whiskey which Bushmills use in their belnded whiskeys. All the malt whiskey is distilled by Bushmills themselves.

I believe part of the confusion is due to fact that IDL do also distill Malt Whiskey in Midleton, it's used for blending. I believe they did release one Single Malt whiskey for the US market (90's -- early 00's) -- "Erin go Bragh" :rolleyes:

Erin2.jpg

Erin3.jpg

Review here:
    http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveseptember06-1.html#010906

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

n97 mini wrote: »
    but the immediate transaction is good for the economy.
    It's good for the share holders who sold their shares. It will be good for the economy *only* if they re-invest that money in the economy.

OTOH, Beam will start repatriating profits immediately.

This is getting off topic so I'll simply say that you are missing the point: an American company that pays 95m to invest in something in Ireland is a 95m inward investmet in the Irish economy. There's no getting around that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I fear that the Beam purchase will result in a rationalising of their brands to follow IDL's path of focusing all marketing onto one brand at the expense of the others.

well then another distillery will start up to fill that nieche. If you drink it, they will come

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

This is simply not true. Bushmills has been terribly neglected by Diageo. There has been only one new product in the past decade, despite the distillers producing all manner of amazing things that they are not permitted to release onto the market. It was only this year, after Cooley had begun distilling single potstill whiskey, that IDL finally decided to expand their range beyond two bottlings, despite every previous limited edition potstill selling out at massively inflated prices.
    Cooley have for 20 years been the innovators in Irish whiskey pushing the market forward, expanding it into new areas and re-opening the Kilbeggan distillery.
    I fear that the Beam purchase will result in a rationalising of their brands to follow IDL's path of focusing all marketing onto one brand at the expense of the others.

Diageo has only owned Bushmills for a few years, and they've increased production to capacity.

And, I think, IDL makes nearly all its money from Jameson. Not sure how much sps earns them at all. It's a very small market.

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    The Single Malt right? I forgot bout that one, was just thinking of standard blend. Still personally I would think it's a good thing if Grants do build their own distillery. Question is would they ever create a "Tullamore Single Pot Still" ;)

And another distillery too...

Yes, and Bushmills produce some single malt for IDL. There's no grain whiskey produced in Bushmills. There is malt whiskey in Paddy, for example.

IDL used to do a single malt production for blending once every eight years or so. They have not ruled in or ruled out producing a single malt in the future, although some say their stills don't really suit single malt.

I think Hewitts contained Midleton malt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

This is getting off topic so I'll simply say that you are missing the point:
    You are right it's getting off topic and we'll have to agree to disagree. I for example would not agree that Heineken buying Murphy's was an inward investment in the Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Apples & oranges being discussed now. Keep it on-topic please.

tHB

Advertisement