Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus diesel or petrol?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭maidhc

I had a 1.8TDCi Focus Mk1, and my mother has a new Focus with the 1.6HDI engine.

The 1.6 is a far nicer powerplant. It feels like a petrol with progressive power delivery, the 1.8 had about 1,000 rpm of power from 1700 to 2700. The 1.8 was a good engine, but needed a DMF. The EGR valve was replaced before I got the car, and needed to be replaced again when I disposed of it.

I wouldn't have any fear of the 1.6HDI, they power every second car in mainland Europe and PSA have a great reputation for making reliable diesels.

I suspect PSA engines are being built in Dagenham now anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Petrol is 1cent cheaper than diesel in my local forecourt now. Its no longer as black and white which engine to go for. If you are not doing big mileage go petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

maidhc wrote: »
    I wouldn't have any fear of the 1.6HDI, they power every second car in mainland Europe and PSA have a great reputation for making reliable diesels.
    I would agree PROVIDED the engine has been serviced properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

This has gone on a bit of a tangent about the diesel engines (shocking given the Irish passion for a diesel Ford ;)) but to sum up, as the OP will be doing substantially less than average mileage the best choice would be to go for a well spec'ed petrol model?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

This has gone on a bit of a tangent about the diesel engines (shocking given the Irish passion for a diesel Ford ;)) but to sum up, as the OP will be doing substantially less than average mileage the best choice would be to go for a well spec'ed petrol model?

I'd usually agree, if it was going to be constant stop/start driving, but the OP will be doing Dublin--->Drogheda every weekend. The 25-30 minute spin up the M1 should be more than enough to clear the pipes on a diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

Thanks for all the replies.

Im really considering the petrol 1.6 as itcan be bought alot cheaper and I can keep the rest of my money for a rainy day. However apparently the 1.6 petrol can seem a bit weedy in terms of power. Has anyone had any experience driving one, how does it compare to the 1.6 diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

mac_attack wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

Im really considering the petrol 1.6 as itcan be bought alot cheaper and I can keep the rest of my money for a rainy day. However apparently the 1.6 petrol can seem a bit weedy in terms of power. Has anyone had any experience driving one, how does it compare to the 1.6 diesel?

If you get a Ghia or Titanium spec manual 1.6 it has a more powerful 1.6 petrol that is more than enough for the car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

EPM wrote: »
    If you get a Ghia or Titanium spec manual 1.6 it has a more powerful 1.6 petrol that is more than enough for the car.

Yep, but the "ordinary" 1.6 has only 15bhp less, and is still plenty good enough. I've owned and run both engines btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have a nearly 12 year old Focus 1.6 petrol and its not much slower than the new 1.6 diesels. For your type of mileage a petrol is a much better option, but as said ten million times avoid the 1.4.

The ghia's and titanium's have the vvt 1.6, its more powerful and more economical.

Advertisement