Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No. 10 bus being suspended?

Options
  • 16-12-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭

I heard a purportedly true rumour today, that Bus Éireann were discontinuing the No. 10/210 service in the new year. Granted this came through two people before I heard it, but allegedly this came from the driver of said bus.

Anyone hear anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Not a chance. It serves a large area and is the main bus to Mahon Point.

Hearing porkies I say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not a hope. It's the only bus serving those areas, particularly Ballinlough and Blackrock until Supervalue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Not a chance. It serves a large area and is the main bus to Mahon Point.

Hearing porkies I say.
    Faith wrote: »
    Not a hope. It's the only bus serving those areas, particularly Ballinlough and Blackrock until Supervalue.

Just a note on these posts,

as far as i know,these days it doesn't matter if an area has a service or not they are no longer obliged to service all areas, if the bus route is making some kind of money and not a huge loss it will be run.

if the number 10 (or any other route) is making huge losses it will have reduced runs or be removed,

but honestly i cannot see it having less customers then some of the other routes tbh so i would also agree it wouldn't be suspended, they would reduce frequency before suspending anyway so you'd have some notice the route was in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

The No10 is the only bus that serves MP though, so I honestly can't see it being terminated. And it's frequency isn't all that great anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It won't be suspended - it's a very busy bus - the only time I'd imagine it'd be quiet is during the day midweek when people are working so they might consider dropping a few of the times from the timetable but they can't stop the whole route there'll be uproar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I find that hard to believe also.

It tops the charts with hits on Corkpublictransport.com, with the No.2 (202) coming in second (By name and nature)

They've already suspended the No.10A! Maybe its an old rumour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I used to live in Jacob's Island and was a frequent user of the 10A (hence the very unispired username on here), and while the 10A was underused, the 10 itself nearly always had people standing on it, regardless of the time of day. Very, very busy route with both Mahon Point and all the companies/call centres out there too e.g RCI and Big Fish. I would not believe this at all. Probably a lowering of frequency maybe, and this got blown out of proportion as is the tradition in Cork. :)

Edit: and I used to live at the other end of it too for a while in Glasheen and that part of the service is also very well-used. So I can't see very much if any truth in this rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Good to hear that this doesn't seem to be too widespread so. I had my concerns about the Glasheen side all right, any time I've been on it recently it's just been me, the driver, and the man who likes to talk about the weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

IIRC they did talk about scaling back the service on the Glasheen side of things a few years ago but the residents were against it and it was pretty much left alone. That segment of the journey is always mad quiet and has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The guy who runs the "swift taxi" 10a will be licking his lips reading this thread.

It must be bullsh*t though, it's a busy enough route...I lived in Jacobs island until recently and I'd be lost without the 10/210.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes I'm sure the No 202 will divert of the Skehard road to serve Jacobs Island and Mahon Point thus rendering the 210 redundant. And on the other side the 214 uses the same route as far as Barrack St/Togher Rd. I'd say public opinion will ultimately save the route though.

The prophecy has been fulfilled. Route 210 is no more. We now have the 216 from CUH on towards Mount Oval via the City Centre.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056700178

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks chiz... The map is a it on the vague side. It looks like the 215 is taking over from the 10 on the ballinlough end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Shite! I was gonna start talking this bus out to Mahon for work in a week or two. Looks like i'll have to get a bus into town and then one onto Mahon.

If anybody takes the 216 and 215 bus the whole way, can ye tell me what route it takes i.e streets/roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd say you'll be alright a while Knifey Spooney. This won't be done in the next week or two I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Shite! I was gonna start talking this bus out to Mahon for work in a week or two. Looks like i'll have to get a bus into town and then one onto Mahon.

the 219 could do the same job for you I'd say if you're close enough to Wilton or the Lough.

I'd say you'll be alright a while Knifey Spooney. This won't be done in the next week or two I'd say.

The new route changes were scheduled to start yesterday.

ze7tT.jpg

another map from that facebook page. should give you a better idea of where the routes go.

apologies for the size.

So it's basically extended out to CUH and follows the 207 to Douglas and then out to Mount Oval. I can understand hem taking Mahon out of it. Very few people ever stayed on. Unfortunate for people like KnifeySpooney :(. Doubly expensive until some kind of electronic payment system is introduced.

true, but depending on where KnifeySpoony lives they can get on the no.219 to Mahon from Wilton/Togher/The Lough. So they might still only have to get one bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Surely what with Mount Oval being in Rochestown, would it not have been more fitting for Bus Eireann to put Limo's on the 216 route, then instead of the service going to CUH, it would have been more fitting going to The Bons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Oh! Fancy shmancy new timetables, they weren't there yesterday afaicr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

The 219 would be very handy alright, just that they aren't very regular, which is a shame. Thanks for the suggestions though everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

kub wrote: »
    Surely what with Mount Oval being in Rochestown, would it not have been more fitting for Bus Eireann to put Limo's on the 216 route, then instead of the service going to CUH, it would have been more fitting going to The Bons :D

you have clearly never been up here! :pac:

question does the 216 go up or down the maryborough hill and am i right in thinking it doesnt go both ways? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lottyb

Does anyone know will the new 215 stop in jacob's island. Will it take long to get into city centre? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Anybody notice something very obvious about the city centre map ? Maybe Daley Thompson was right...

Some of the routing at the bottom left is also wrong on the CC map, Doesn't do a good job of showing the 215 through the city either.

Have a look where the river runs, A fool could draw better..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Where does that map above come from? Unofficial I assume as the routing of the 216 at the Rochestown end appears to be incorrect as it goes along Clarkes Hill and not Coach Hill...unless this has change very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

lottyb wrote: »
    Does anyone know will the new 215 stop in jacob's island. Will it take long to get into city centre? Thanks :)

Yes it does. Takes about 20 mine

• Advertisement

Thanks KCAccidental!

I keep forgetting about that map!

Advertisement