Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Yes.

Prove me wrong.

I guess it will be fun to play with the food before eating it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Didnt take you long to come to the same conclusion as the rest of us there sam.

Oh boo hoo. Are you taking a principled stand against registering your septic tank to help ensure it's not an environmental pollutant, for the princely sum of a fiver too? Men of high principles indeed. Maybe your garden car is hiding your septic tank? It all starts to make sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    Oh boo hoo. Are you taking a principled stand against registering your septic tank to help ensure it's not an environmental pollutant, for the princely sum of a fiver too? Men of high principles indeed. Maybe your garden car is hiding your aseptic tank? It all starts to make sense!

WTF:confused:

Can I have some of what your smoking please?

Maybe your garden car is hiding your septic tank? It all starts to make sense!

Eh..anyone know what a "garden car" is?

According to Al it's the gate to enlightenment! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Oh boo hoo. Are you taking a principled stand against registering your septic tank to help ensure it's not an environmental pollutant, for the princely sum of a fiver too? Men of high principles indeed. Maybe your garden car is hiding your septic tank? It all starts to make sense!

What you on about now? I'm a woman of high principles thank you very much.
    €5 this year, how much after that, they reduced that figure if I remember correctly. It was €50.

He means a ride on lawnmower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Is the current climate of corruption in this country something people want to fund? Is the wasteful nature of the county council something we want to fund? Also will stamp duty laws be revised because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Is the current climate of corruption in this country something people want to fund? Is the wasteful nature of the county council something we want to fund? Also will stamp duty laws be revised because of this?

In the overall it seems Ireland is not very corrupt when measured against other countries. People here set very high standards for others but when it comes down to a little harmless tax evasion or maybe TV licence evasion they can find all sorts of excuses not to part with their money.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/dec/01/corruption-index-2011-transparency-international

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

This is a property tax. It's not the same as the upcoming property tax, but it's still a property tax - and requires that you have actual 'property' to be liable for the tax. Don't know why this needs repeating - its pretty straightforward.
    The local authority owns quite a few houses that they are getting an income from. Will they be paying €100 for each of those as the people paying them will be using the same local services as myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ghandee wrote: »
    WTF:confused:

Can I have some of what your smoking please?

Comical ali is right.

jluv wrote: »
    The local authority owns quite a few houses that they are getting an income from. Will they be paying €100 for each of those as the people paying them will be using the same local services as myself?

Sorry jluv; Alaister does the scuttlebuck when I'm here to correct his grammar, error and other oddities.

Log in about 4am when he feels it's safe to emerge from under his blankie :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's not about saying you're broke - its about providing evidence that you're not in a position to afford to pay. And a cottage in Foxrock might well be more valuable than a oversized pad in Leitrim. It's down to market value - not scale.

It costs just as much to clean sh!te from a kerb in foxrock as it does in crumlin. Why does the size of a house matter? If anything, it should be based on the frontage and "actual" average cost to clean an area.

One other thing I really dont get is why council houses are exempt. There are plenty unemployed living in private houses and plenty working who live in council houses. And lets face it, council areas cost more to run (nothing against those who live in a council estate), because litter and graffiti are two of many fund draining problems in those areas at the best of times.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Sorry jluv; Alaister does the scuttlebuck when I'm here to correct his grammar, error and other oddities.

Log in about 4am when he feels it's safe to emerge from under his blankie :cool:
    A definate wind up merchant but at least he gives other people the opportunity to raise valid questions which only validate my opposition to this tax:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hondasam wrote: »
    What you on about now? I'm a woman of high principles thank you very much.
    €5 this year, how much after that, they reduced that figure if I remember correctly. It was €50.

He means a ride on lawnmower

I think he is making reference to me not paying for a septic tank inspection, even though i dont have one, and my car that i cant drive at the moment through an injury, which i mentioned i dont have to pay tax on even though i own it. It was in reference to his comparing motor tax to property tax where i said motor tax is not for owning a car.

As ghandee pointed out nicely a couple of days ago, thats comical ali for ye. He disappeared for an entire day the other day after trying to be the grammar nazi as a method to discredit points made by various posters, but failed in the best possible way that grammar nazis can fail.

Or maybe he was talking to you here, as he mistook me for another poster only 2 posts after telling me to learn to read a few days ago also.

A definate wind up merchant but at least he gives other people the opportunity to raise valid questions which only validate my opposition to this tax:D
    And don't you dare correct my spelling or grammer;)Wild Bill

And don't you dare correct my spelling or grammer;)Wild Bill

Grammer/grammar - it's the same thing between friends ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I think he is making reference to me not paying for a septic tank inspection, even though i dont have one, and my car that i cant drive at the moment through an injury, which i mentioned i dont have to pay tax on even though i own it. It was in reference to his comparing motor tax to property tax where i said motor tax is not for owning a car.

As ghandee pointed out nicely a couple of days ago, thats comical ali for ye. He disappeared for an entire day the other day after trying to be the grammar nazi as a method to discredit points made by various posters, but failed in the best possible way that grammar nazis can fail.

Or maybe he was talking to you here, as he mistook me for another poster only 2 posts after telling me to learn to read a few days ago also.

The septic tank issue was aimed at me because I had a little whinge about it. He told me it was €5 and pay up. He likes to move from one topic to another without offering any answers to questions or he answers with a silly comparison.
    It quite amusing to read actually, he was probably in the Dail the day he disappeared.:pac:
    I was joking about the lawnmower, he has it in his head we all live in big houses we cannot afford.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Grammer/grammar - it's the same thing between friends ;)
    It felt like the teacher standing over your shoulder. Knew I would get it wrong;)
    But in not paying,I know I'm right:D For me..

It felt like the teacher standing over your shoulder. Knew I would get it wrong;)
    But in not paying,I know I'm right:D For me..

I wouldn't doubt it :)

The milky bars are on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

Where To wrote: »
    I will pay and so will 90% of the people who say the won't.

Armchair rebels surrender easily.

the people who have payed have no back bone , the remaining 1.6 millon we stand our ground , if not for ourselfs then for our kids, sometimes in life we have to lose control to gain control, make a stand unite and become one!!!

I'm more of a reader than a poster here however my 72 year old mother who is an invalid and who has no idea of what we are discussing here,actually brought the subject up tonight as I was putting her to bed. She was speaking to a friend on the phone today who said she should pay the household tax.She has no idea what it is all about.This is the first time she mentioned it. But now she is worried that this is something she should do but doesn't know why.I told her not to worry and that we would discuss it tomorrow.At least she has me to talk it over with. Imagine all the older people who have noone to talk to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

the people who have payed have no back bone , the remaining 1.6 millon we stand our ground , if not for ourselfs then for our kids, sometimes in life we have to lose control to gain control, make a stand unite and become one!!!
    Even if the campaign against this charge succeeds it will do nothing other than embarrass the government. If the charge is abolished then there will be a quite return to funding local services from exchequer funds, leaving a slightly bigger hole in our budget deficit. And that gap WILL be filled, somehow.

Of course, when people have to ensure perhaps a slightly larger increase in car tax rates in the next budget or a slightly greater cut to child benefit, they won’t realise, or even know, that this was because the campaign against the household charge “succeeded”. We are going to pay this charge, at best we might succeed in changing how.

These silly campaigns against some tax or cut or another are just that, silly, unless you propose we go in a radically different approach such as that proposed by Sinn Fein and the ULA. There was little doubt before the last general election that both FG and Lab were going to substantially follow the same path as FF had being doing and basically play ball with Europe. And they got the support of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

mikom wrote: »
    Remind me again about his ceiling cap for advisers.

I was talking about Ministers salaries.

hondasam wrote: »
    Did he really and expenses, what happened there?

Yes he did really cut ministers salaries. What do you expect me to say? "No just kidding"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wow! What an insight. Edward deBono watch out!

And STILL no answer! Coward!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Mark200 wrote: »
    I was talking about Ministers salaries.

Yes he did really cut ministers salaries. What do you expect me to say? "No just kidding"?
    Please. We still overpay to a level that makes being a minister in Ireland one of the best political gigs going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Endas wage should be cut to.about 60 grand a year, the rest should be payed between 30 to 35k.
    Get rid of at least 100 ministers, there is way too many.
    The council for greater london has 14 people on it, there is about.7 million people in greater london.

if there was less ministers you can garauntee they would save enough to pay off plenty of our debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Endas wage should be cut to.about 60 grand a year, the rest should be payed between 30 to 35k.
    Get rid of at least 100 ministers, there is way too many.
    The council for greater london has 14 people on it, there is about.7 million people in greater london.

if there was less ministers you can garauntee they would save enough to pay off plenty of our debt.
    Agreed. We should definitely have less than 100 ministers.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Interesting after all this anti-household charge noise, a new poll shows the ruling parties increasing their share of the vote to 49%. That's half the electorate who still support the govt, how is this possible? http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0324/referendum.html

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

lugha wrote: »
    Even if the campaign against this charge succeeds it will do nothing other than embarrass the government. If the charge is abolished then there will be a quite return to funding local services from exchequer funds, leaving a slightly bigger hole in our budget deficit. And that gap WILL be filled, somehow.

Maybe, maybe not. But it will remind the government who they are supposed to be working for . It'll also send a message that people are no longer prepared to be the only solution to our countries problems. Maybe expenditure and the cost of our national and local governments should be looked at more closely before laying everything at the foot of the taxpayer.
    Of course, when people have to ensure perhaps a slightly larger increase in car tax rates in the next budget or a slightly greater cut to child benefit, they won’t realise, or even know, that this was because the campaign against the household charge “succeeded”. We are going to pay this charge, at best we might succeed in changing how.

Some of these increases can be avoided via Personal choice (drive a smaller car, spend less on taxed services etc). Legal tax avoidance if you will. As opposed to having no choice in paying ad this household charge demonstrates.
    These silly campaigns against some tax or cut or another are just that, silly, unless you propose we go in a radically different approach such as that proposed by Sinn Fein and the ULA. There was little doubt before the last general election that both FG and Lab were going to substantially follow the same path as FF had being doing and basically play ball with Europe. And they got the support of the people.

This charge is maybe the straw that breaks the camels back. People wanted rid of FF. FG/Labour appeared to offer a real chance to change things (pre election promises, 5 point plans, no more money for the banks etc etc). Now it looks like they are going to maintain FFs previous policies despite telling the public the opposite. This now means people are doubly ****ed as there is no longer any viable alternative for change and the country is still on its knees and will be for some time. Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

So what are some of the main arguments ?

That it's a ''wealth tax'' and this makes it ok... er no it's not if it doesn't take negative equity into account. Capital Gains Tax is a wealth tax. Inheritance tax is a wealth tax. Windfall tax is a wealth tax. A tax on gambling wins is a wealth tax. See the difference ?

That it goes to pay towards essential local services. Big fail there too. Services are non existent in many places, paid for already to private companies and central government is withdrawing money from local services while individuals neglect to cut expenses e.g when a bunch of councillors disgracefully insist upon using their power to order in fancy iphones for themselves

http://www.herald.ie/news/2600-on-new-phones-for-councillors-and-we-pay-2982381.html

thus cementing the banana republic label at the worst time possible in recent history. It should be called a the quango iphone tax. We the public are getting shafted by greed and blackmail in high places. I can't respect anything but top down leadership. This nonsense of us having to do their jobs for them and force them to not get the latest iphone at our expense leads one to question why they have jobs at all when we do all their work and pay for our own services. Bin charges, water, road tax (if you have a car) etc what exactly does the council do for me that isn't already being paid for or will be paid for separately anyway ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

psychward wrote: »

Bin charges, water, road tax (if you have a car) etc what exactly does the council do for me that isn't already being paid for or will be paid for separately anyway ?

This has been asked several times on this thread already, and so far, the yes camp have flat out refused to answer. Bar one, a 'mod' in another form admitting the answer was none!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement