Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Speaking of which

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

normal20071103auchmb6.jpg

Look at those sparks :D Amazing photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So going by that they could easily afford to lower race fees to allow some of the great tracks back instead of oil country bores. Would also translate into cheaper ticket for fans who are the sole reason for it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

does anyone know here when rte first started broadcasting F1 races. off hand i think it was around 93 or 94 up to 2003.

• Advertisement

does anyone know here when rte first started broadcasting F1 races. off hand i think it was around 93 or 94 up to 2003.

1995 - 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

1995 sounds about right. We only had RTE in our house back then and 95 was the first time I got to see F1 live. My first memory of F1 was when Coulthard crashed his Williams in the pit lane. Since then I've watched F1 on RTL, ITV, BBC and now Sky.

I know some people didn't really like Peter Collins but I thought he was alright. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the commentary box especially when Jordan were doing well.

1995 - 2004.

great thanks

recyclebin wrote: »
    1995 sounds about right. We only had RTE in our house back then and 95 was the first time I got to see F1 live. My first memory of F1 was when Coulthard crashed his Williams in the pit lane. Since then I've watched F1 on RTL, ITV, BBC and now Sky.

I know some people didn't really like Peter Collins but I thought he was alright. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the commentary box especially when Jordan were doing well.

nice one, it was wrecking my head

I also remember that race for this:

Frentzen was flying in that race until the powerplant gave up.

• Advertisement

I also remember that race for this:

Frentzen was flying in that race until the powerplant gave up.
    i remember frentzen being held up for ages trying to lap blundell in that race as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Peter Collins was sack, end of really. He tried his best but my granny would have more knowledge of F1.

Mr. Mone AC O and his 'the great WOUN Pablo MonTOYa' - a dreadful F1 commentator only equalled by his attempts at Moto GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Anybody have the Eurosport coverage of this? Ben Edwards and John Watson did the commentary and I always remember the priceless reaction from the pair of them when this happened.

6552.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Stunning photo

I prefer watching on telly, coverage is so much better. I found it impossible to follow the race when I was at one. Nowadays I would rather go to the venue for the free practise and qually days, and then watch the race at home.

With smart phones, tablets, internet streaming and fanvision it is getting much easier to follow the race when you are at the track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

With smart phones, tablets, internet streaming and fanvision it is getting much easier to follow the race when you are at the track.

Shows how long its been then for me.

Not when you realise the price of Data when your roaming! None of the tracks I have been to have free wi-fi or anything like that. If your not willing to fork out for fanvision your pretty much blind.

I went to Poland for the Euros this year and picked up a prepay data sim on the cheap. It's what I plan to do on all trips abroad in future.

I was at Mondello watching a friend racing Vee's a couple of months ago and I wasn't sure what position he was in the race. I had my phone on me and was able to look up the live timing on a website. It's amazing how much technology has improved things for the spectator, even at the lower classes of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

i had the fanvision at Le Mans a few years ago and thought it was class, a real must have for most people at the track.

However at F1 and MotoGP races this year I havent had much problem keeping up with the proceedings even though Id be moving around the whole time. Obviously you have to concentrate a lot to be able to know whats going on and it's tricky to know the exact laps etc. but whenever i sit down after a race to write a report my thoughts generally are in line with the facts of the race.

Saying that when i was at Barcelona last year as a fan it was pretty tricky to follow as i was being distracted by the noise around me from other fans. I think that's probably what makes it so hard to follow from the trackside, theres always someone that will take your attention from the screens/tracks at the worst time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dumb question here but whats Fanvision?

• Advertisement

I remember it and a similar thing mentioned last year by the BBC commentators. I want to say KangarooTV :pac: You rent it for the weekend and can pick up audio feeds of commentary and I think one of them comes with video and live timing feeds.

I remember it and a similar thing mentioned last year by the BBC commentators. I want to say KangarooTV :pac: You rent it for the weekend and can pick up audio feeds of commentary and I think one of them comes with video and live timing feeds.

Ah I see, sounds cool - are they expensive to rent yeah?

Dear enough but from what I've heard of them definitely something I'd budget for. Can't remember the prices but someone else surely will. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Dear enough but from what I've heard of them definitely something I'd budget for. Can't remember the prices but someone else surely will. :pac:

Yeah its just a renamed Kangaroo TV!

Usually you can pick up a unit for less than 100 quid a weekend but they usually offer one day free so its possible to pick one up for 50 or 60 quid for the weekend. Pretty good value at that or else you can buy a unit from them for about 200 euro

Its a pants idea the medal system, if It came out I wouldn't watch F1 any-more.

Easier said than done I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I've been to 2 races now and would echo what someone above said, for practice sessions and qualy it's ok live, but if you really want to follow the race and not miss anything then it's hard to beat watching it on tv.

Still though going to an F1 race is an experience any fan should get to do. I'd been to Australia '09 and it was a great race. Just hearing an F1 car at full pelt is worth it :D Brawns first race and Button winning. Vettels first race in a Red Bull and his coming together with Kubica. Safety car periods.

But It was only when I went to to the Hungarian GP this year that I experienced true F1 fans coming together. At Albert Park it was a very general crowd, and most people only showed up on Sunday. In Budapest there were thousands of fans from all over Europe there from the pit walk on Thursday - mad passionate Finns (they can drink!), Italians, Poles, Czechs, Germans, Dutch and Russians. It was just a fantastic atmosphere that I've never experienced before. Yeah the race wasn't very good, you only see one piece of track anyway when you're there but the atmosphere, the fans, the weather and the city made it a great few days.

In Australia there was live commentary on a radio station local to the track which was very handy - coupled with a big screen so I didnt miss any action. But in Budapest we just had the big screen. I actually thought it was Grosjean who came second. (prob should have just looked at the camera colour :o)

Anyway to get to my point, I'll definitely be getting a fanvison device for the next GP I go to.

I have done it before and I have no problems doing it again :pac:

And did you find it easy or hard to stop watching it before and what was the problem with the sport that made you stop watching it?

Spa to be on F1 calender until 2015.
    The Belgian Grand Prix's future has been guaranteed for the next three seasons, after race organisers signed a new deal with Formula 1 chiefs.

The fate of the Spa-Francorchamps event has been the subject of uncertainty over recent years, amid suggestions it was seeking a race-share deal with the Nurburgring or Magny-Cours.

But with the Nurburgring alternating with Hockenheim, and French GP plans collapsing for now, Spa chiefs have agreed their own deal.

The contract, which was announced by the Walloon Region's economy minister Jean-Claude Marcourt, will run from 2013 to 2015 - and is on more favourable financial terms for the circuit.
    Full article on Autosport.

Awesome awesome news :cool:

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Awesome awesome news :cool:

I think classic circuits like Spa should be a permanent fixture on the GP calender and never be under the threat of being removed.

Advertisement