Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

DAVE1972 wrote: »
    ITS A 2.0 195BHP MODEL ACCORDING TO MYWHEELS.IE

They do a bi turbo 195 in the UK - 2.0 diesel twin turbo afaik - so its quite possible its a genuine 195 and not a typo.

Theres a link somewhere in this thread I think about Vauxhalls police spec cars that they do in the UK.

So its entirely possible that what they've done is do a deal to buy vehicles converted by Vauxhall/GM in the UK - this would possibly enable the purchase of a 195 - im assuming you can't buy a NORMAL civi spec 195 bhp Insignia diesel from an Opel dealer over here???

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Have traffic outdone RSU now with a better vehicle?

https://www.vauxhallfleet.co.uk/pdf/specialvehicles/Police_InsigniaSportsTourer_VK14YKM.pdf

a 140 ps model demonstrator - but gives you an idea what Vauxhall can do police spec wise.

I imagine the Opel can be just the Vauxhall with different badges on - sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I really hope the insignia handles a million times better then the vectra because that was one nut too handle.

I have 1st hand experience at how much of a dog they were and lucky to be here.

I haven't driven the latest insignia only 1st when came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

I really hope the insignia handles a million times better then the vectra because that was one nut too handle.

I have 1st hand experience at how much of a dog they were and lucky to be here.

I haven't driven the latest insignia only 1st when came out.

Moate traffic had one since 2010 it got engine at 200,000 few other things and few unmarks around grand car better than 1.6/1.7 diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Old diesel wrote: »
    They do a bi turbo 195 in the UK - 2.0 diesel twin turbo afaik - so its quite possible its a genuine 195 and not a typo.

Theres a link somewhere in this thread I think about Vauxhalls police spec cars that they do in the UK.

So its entirely possible that what they've done is do a deal to buy vehicles converted by Vauxhall/GM in the UK - this would possibly enable the purchase of a 195 - im assuming you can't buy a NORMAL civi spec 195 bhp Insignia diesel from an Opel dealer over here???

Interesting

UK - 163PS on top model :)

IRL - 140PS max :o

Germany - 2.0 ECOTEC Direct Injection Turbo, 250 PS Petrol ;)
    2.0 BiTurbo CDTI ecoFLEX, 195 PS Diesel

Brings to mind the old Rekord 2.2i's and Ascona 2.0i's for the original Traffic unit - maybe Opel have done a package again ;)

Capri wrote: »
    UK - 163PS on top model :)

IRL - 140PS max :o

Germany - 2.0 ECOTEC Direct Injection Turbo, 250 PS Petrol ;)
    2.0 BiTurbo CDTI ecoFLEX, 195 PS Diesel

Brings to mind the old Rekord 2.2i's and Ascona 2.0i's for the original Traffic unit - maybe Opel have done a package again ;)

The Auto express I have here from less then a month ago shows the 195 ps Insignia on the price list :confused:

And this 2014 model was for sale (sold now) - its the facelifted model too

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/insignia/vauxhall-insignia-sri-vx-line-nav-cdti-195-biturbo/2922263

Doesn't really surprise me you can't buy a normal non emergency services spec private car 195 ps Insignia through Irish Opel dealers - its common for manufacturers to offer reduced options in terms of engines in Ireland compared to UK.

It does make sense for Opel to bring in the 195 ps for this order - as its a way for them to get back into the Garda fleet again

Old diesel wrote: »
    The Auto express I have here from less then a month ago shows the 195 ps Insignia on the price list :confused:

And this 2014 model was for sale (sold now) - its the facelifted model too

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/insignia/vauxhall-insignia-sri-vx-line-nav-cdti-195-biturbo/2922263

Doesn't really surprise me you can't buy a normal non emergency services spec private car 195 ps Insignia through Irish Opel dealers - its common for manufacturers to offer reduced options in terms of engines in Ireland compared to UK.

It does make sense for Opel to bring in the 195 ps for this order - as its a way for them to get back into the Garda fleet again

Saw a white UK reg biturbo Insignia near the Park the other day,might have been a tourist ..........:rolleyes:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/15/vauxhall-unveils-new-police-package-insignia/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I know that Garda car choices are often criticised, but has anyone noticed the cars being used by the French police forces with their recent troubles?

Peugeot 308s, Renault Scenics, Focus Estates. That's what the ERU equivalent is getting out of. Nothing so impressive as a Land Cruiser or XC70 there.

I know that Garda car choices are often criticised, but has anyone noticed the cars being used by the French police forces with their recent troubles?

Peugeot 308s, Renault Scenics, Focus Estates. That's what the ERU equivalent is getting out of. Nothing so impressive as a Land Cruiser or XC70 there.

Some of the pugs they use though are wolfs in sheep clothing.

They now are buying a lot of Dacia also which seems a mad choice.

Also look at the silly little old light bars they still use.

I think the cars there in cities wouldn't need to be demons to go as there are so many of them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I always thought it was an unoffical rule that the French public/ civil service would choose French manufacturers over imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Don't think the French like spending money on cars. If you look at the videos on youtube most of them are unmarked with a little blue light on the roof.

carzony wrote: »
    Don't think the French like spending money on cars. If you look at the videos on youtube most of them are unmarked with a little blue light on the roof.

Well, which would you rather have, a Hyundai with €1000 worth of lights and battenberg/ stripes, or a BMW with €200 worth of gumball and a single reflective stripe all round. I don't think all the lights and stripes will make a stupid road user notice the car any better - IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DAVE1972

AGREE WITH YOU THERE I RECKON OVER 2500 TO 3000 IS SPENT ON BATTENBURG LIGHT ETC WHEN YOU COULD SPEND 300 ON 1 LIGHT AND SINGLE STRIPE OR JUST A ONE BULB MAGNET ON THE ROOF OF UNMARKED, THEY DID IN OLD DAYS AND YOU WOULD NOTICE THEM NO PROBLEM

Also at times they are private cars not actual police bought machines.

They have a magnet light and a police sign on sun visor they get paid for use.

I was over there a few years back and couldn't believe some of the stuff they have likes of v6, v8 jobbies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The french gendarme have always had some oddball cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

We haven't got one of these beauties, though.

Some of the pugs they use though are wolfs in sheep clothing.

They now are buying a lot of Dacia also which seems a mad choice.

Also look at the silly little old light bars they still use.

I think the cars there in cities wouldn't need to be demons to go as there are so many of them around.

I'm rather fond of the gallic lightbar, 3 generations of lightbar below. Agree regarding the Dacia, they're criminal, saw the pompiers driving them down in Nice and died a little inside.

Mycroft H wrote: »

The french gendarme have always had some oddball cars.

They seem to be a bit oddball themselves - see the looks they were giving each other ;) And as for the amber/blue 'Yoplait' pots on the roof :rolleyes:
    S'pose the other side of it is they could charge you with not paying attention to your rear view mirror :mad:

belacqua_ wrote: »
    We haven't got one of these beauties, though.

We just borrow them from up the M1
    14 May 2011
    TWO PSNI water cannons have arrived in Dublin -- in the event of riots during the queen's visit.
    Gardai borrowed the two water-cannon trucks to help with crowd control during the monarch's four-day visit here next week.
    The two large white trucks were spotted being driven in the direction of Dublin on the M1 at Dundalk yesterday afternoon

BRI - Brigade de recherche et d'intervention - Research and intervention brigade

http://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/layout/set/print/Nous-connaitre/Services-et-missions/Missions-de-police/La-direction-regionale-de-la-police-judiciaire/La-brigade-de-recherche-et-d-intervention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Dacia are owned by Renault, that's why the French are using them.

The photo I posted is actually of a Renault armoured car, the type that's seen a lot of action over the last few days. Though from that angle it looks a little like a water canon truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Citroen C8s seemed to be what their ERU equivalent were using on the final day. Better than the C3s, Meganes etc.

As for the BRI wagon, it looks like a cash in transit van.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Citroen C8s seemed to be what their ERU equivalent were using on the final day. Better than the C3s, Meganes etc.

As for the BRI wagon, it looks like a cash in transit van.

What's BRI stand for ??
    I knew of a new age traveler in the uk with an ex French riot police bus, it was seriously armoured- had a handle that when pulled released and locked in place shutters over the windows and doors, had grills that dropped underneath to stop anyone getting at the under carraige- seriously heavy - man :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's BRI stand for ??
    I knew of a new age traveler in the uk with an ex French riot police bus, it was seriously armoured- had a handle that when pulled released and locked in place shutters over the windows and doors, had grills that dropped underneath to stop anyone getting at the under carraige- seriously heavy - man :)

BRI - Brigade de recherche et d'intervention - Research and intervention brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Research as in Intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

D Trent wrote: »
    Research as in Intelligence

Probably surveillance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

i keep seeing an unmarked one of those in town most days. i'v no camera though :( really nice looking car. Do we know what do the drivers think of them?

• Advertisement

i keep seeing an unmarked one of those in town most days. i'v no camera though :( really nice looking car. Do we know what do the drivers think of them?

You talking about the insignia?

Advertisement