Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Zamboni wrote: »
    What did I do to prepare today?
    Found my new favourite forum :)
    Looks like I have a lot of reading and work to do. Some fantastic info on here.
    Welcome along zamboni ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Welcome!

Stuff from Deal extreme:

Whistles - cheap and loud. For my own kits and for the kits I am putting together for friends children.

Fire striker. Seems to work, I think there is a knack to using it, I'll try practicing later on.

Survival match. This thing. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/steel-reuseable-matchstick-wilderness-survival-keychain-19144

Took it outside and tried it on a pieceof my cotton wool /vaseline tinder.
    Lit it first time. Can't get it to light like a match as in the video, but it certainly does the job . BTW the tinder worked great, and lasted quite a while, certaily long enough to get a fire going if need be. Thanks for all here who suggested it.

Woohoo, I burnt stuff. Feels great.:D

Also playing with newly acquired Morakniv, companion version, stainless steel. My first real knive.

So far, very sturdy, and very sharp. Was good value I think.

DEal extreme seemed to work out well, not the fastest, but good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

bonniebede wrote: »

Woohoo, I burnt stuff. Feels great.:D

Also playing with newly acquired Morakniv, companion version, stainless steel. My first real knive.

So far, very sturdy, and very sharp. Was good value I think.

So the next thing your going to do to prepare today is to check the FAK and make sure you are stocked up on burn dressings and plasters :D

So the next thing your going to do to prepare today is to check the FAK and make sure you are stocked up on burn dressings and plasters :D

Hah.:D good point.

might also look at aldis coming soon cheap fire extinguishers.:)

• Advertisement

Driving passed aldi in dunboyne and decided i havent had a look in a while so decided to stop and glad i did! Picked up a pack 'festival chef compact cooking set', basicaly 2 mess tins, 2 sets of fork, knife and spoon that clip together and a hexi cooker with tabs for €4.49!!! Mess tine are good quality and so is the cutlary and i guess we all have their hexi cooker at this stage which is also good quality. Dont know when these were originally on sale ir why my hunting buddy who works in their warehouse on specials didnt tell me about them :rolleyes: but its worth getting in for a look if your passing an aldi. Dunboyne have a few left and loads of hexi tabs if anyone is looking for them

Driving passed aldi in dunboyne and decided i havent had a look in a while so decided to stop and glad i did! Picked up a pack 'festival chef compact cooking set', basicaly 2 mess tins, 2 sets of fork, knife and spoon that clip together and a hexi cooker with tabs for €4.49!!! Mess tine are good quality and so is the cutlary and i guess we all have their hexi cooker at this stage which is also good quality. Dont know when these were originally on sale ir why my hunting buddy who works in their warehouse on specials didnt tell me about them :rolleyes: but its worth getting in for a look if your passing an aldi. Dunboyne have a few left and loads of hexi tabs if anyone is looking for them

Really varies from store to store for both Aldi and Lidl, I was in Waterford Lidl last week and they had some great fishing bargins from a previous months offers but Dungarvan shop had none. Waterford (cork road) Aldi also had the hexi stoves and blocks but I didn't ever have (except during the offer) the dry bags another poster reported on a while back. You just have to be a "hunter gatherer" and go out and keep hunting for the bargins ;)

Its mad sometimes alright, certain areas sell out of certain things and others sell feck all. Hunting around is grand for me, i live in kildare Near 3 aldi and 3 lidl and work in dublin on the road alot so pass loads of different ones so if anything is missed at home i can usually pick it up somewhere else

From DEal extreme, - two wire saws for the bob or survival tin, very nice, don't really understand how they work but I 've tries them and the do.

Also a little laser pointer, doesn't work, only disappointing thing from this lot ordered from DX.

My spinach and lettuce are thriving, I'm going to eat it this week. Few slugs also tucking in, wish I had some hens to feed them to.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

made more jerky. about the tenth batch without actually storing any.

i can eat it slightly faster than i can make it, and people always help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I ordered Wim Hof's "Becoming the Iceman". Normally I'd have no truck with these wacky gurus, but his feats seem to be both reproducible and scientifically tested, as in they don't know how he does it but it does work, and works for other people too.
    Hof holds eighteen world records including a world record for longest ice bath.[1] He broke his previous world record by staying for 1 hour, 13 minutes and 48 seconds immersed in ice at Guinness World Records 2008. The night before, he performed the feat on the Today Show.

Dr. Kenneth Kamler monitored the event to explain the effects of using the Tantric practice Tummo to control one's body temperature. Tummo has been practiced by Yogi monks in Tibet. Wim describes his ability to withstand extreme cold temperatures as being able to turn his own thermostat up by using his brain.

In February 2009 Hof reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in his shorts within two days.
    [2]

In 2007 he attempted, but failed (due to a foot injury), to climb Mount Everest wearing nothing but shorts.[3][4] Hof has been criticized for his stated justifications for this attempt: "Edmund Hillary's ascent of Mount Everest was a testament to human achievement; my climb of Mount Everest in my shorts will be a monument to the frivolous, decadent nature of modern society."[5]

In 2009 Hof completed a full marathon (42.195 kilometres (26.219 mi)), above the polar circle in Finland, in temperatures close to −20 °C (−4 °F). Dressed in nothing but shorts, Hof finished in 5 hours and 25 minutes. The challenge was filmed by Firecrackerfilms, who make productions for BBC, Channel 4 and National Geographic.[6]

wim-hof-ice-man-thumb.jpg

Hof again broke the ice endurance record in 2010 by standing fully immersed in ice for 1 hour and 44 minutes in Tokyo, Japan.[7]

In 2011 Hof broke the ice endurance record twice, in Inzell in February and in New York in November. The Guinness World Record is now set for 1 hour and 52 minutes and 42 seconds by Hof.[8] On April 18, Hof got the test results regarding the "The influence of concentration/meditation on autonomic nervous system activity and the innate immune response" case study, demonstrating that he is able to directly influence his own Autonomic Nervous System and Immune System. Hof seems to be able to raise his cortisol levels and lower the amount of cytokines(flammatory bodies) just by using his meditation techniques. a different study on Hof while immersed in ice showed that Hof suppressed the cytokins (flammatory bodies) by 100 percent.[9] In September Hof also ran a full marathon in the Namib Desert without water. The run was performed under the supervision of Dr. Thijs Eijsvogels in assessment of prof. dr. Maria Hopman[10]

On April 19, 2012, an episode of the US television program Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, featuring Hof, was broadcast. Hof was tested against a member of the team named Austin, both sitting in a tank full of ice. Austin sat in the tank for about 20 minutes, with his surface body temperature falling to eight degrees above freezing. When he got out of the water, the other two team members used a heat camera to reveal that his body was at about forty degrees. Wim's core body temperature stayed the same for the entire twenty minutes, as did his heart rate.

I reckon I'll give it a blast anyway and see how I get on, if it at least makes my morning swims in the icy Atlantic more palatable I call that a win.

Assuming, as seems to be the case, that he's really onto something, the techniques and abilities he's mastered could give an enormous advantage in survival situations. Exposure becomes someone else's problem, extremes of heat and cold can be laughed off, the first rule of the three slips down to the bottom of the list, it changes the game completely.

I'll give ye a quick review whenever it arrives and a more thorough analysis in about ten years. :D

Also I added honey capsules, activated charcoal pills, vitamins, and jerky to the third belt pouch, and I'll top it off with some plasters, bandages and so on to complete the set. If I can squeeze in some powdered potato mix too I'll put that on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_honey
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

i found this a wile ago and am glad i did so..just today my missus found my hoard of non perishables in the attic...twas funny trying to explain and justify but to be honest she understood where i was coming from under recent events etc...and is actually coming on board re a kit for the car boot...as i said to her ive a four year old depending on me....and even if it sounds a tad nuts...one thing for sure...il be prepared...

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I ordered Wim Hof's "Becoming the Iceman". Normally I'd have no truck with these wacky gurus, but his feats seem to be both reproducible and scientifically tested, as in they don't know how he does it but it does work, and works for other people too.
    Hof holds eighteen world records including a world record for longest ice bath.[1] He broke his previous world record by staying for 1 hour, 13 minutes and 48 seconds immersed in ice at Guinness World Records 2008. The night before, he performed the feat on the Today Show.

Dr. Kenneth Kamler monitored the event to explain the effects of using the Tantric practice Tummo to control one's body temperature. Tummo has been practiced by Yogi monks in Tibet. Wim describes his ability to withstand extreme cold temperatures as being able to turn his own thermostat up by using his brain.

In February 2009 Hof reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in his shorts within two days.
    [2]

In 2007 he attempted, but failed (due to a foot injury), to climb Mount Everest wearing nothing but shorts.[3][4] Hof has been criticized for his stated justifications for this attempt: "Edmund Hillary's ascent of Mount Everest was a testament to human achievement; my climb of Mount Everest in my shorts will be a monument to the frivolous, decadent nature of modern society."[5]

In 2009 Hof completed a full marathon (42.195 kilometres (26.219 mi)), above the polar circle in Finland, in temperatures close to −20 °C (−4 °F). Dressed in nothing but shorts, Hof finished in 5 hours and 25 minutes. The challenge was filmed by Firecrackerfilms, who make productions for BBC, Channel 4 and National Geographic.[6]

wim-hof-ice-man-thumb.jpg

Hof again broke the ice endurance record in 2010 by standing fully immersed in ice for 1 hour and 44 minutes in Tokyo, Japan.[7]

In 2011 Hof broke the ice endurance record twice, in Inzell in February and in New York in November. The Guinness World Record is now set for 1 hour and 52 minutes and 42 seconds by Hof.[8] On April 18, Hof got the test results regarding the "The influence of concentration/meditation on autonomic nervous system activity and the innate immune response" case study, demonstrating that he is able to directly influence his own Autonomic Nervous System and Immune System. Hof seems to be able to raise his cortisol levels and lower the amount of cytokines(flammatory bodies) just by using his meditation techniques. a different study on Hof while immersed in ice showed that Hof suppressed the cytokins (flammatory bodies) by 100 percent.[9] In September Hof also ran a full marathon in the Namib Desert without water. The run was performed under the supervision of Dr. Thijs Eijsvogels in assessment of prof. dr. Maria Hopman[10]

On April 19, 2012, an episode of the US television program Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, featuring Hof, was broadcast. Hof was tested against a member of the team named Austin, both sitting in a tank full of ice. Austin sat in the tank for about 20 minutes, with his surface body temperature falling to eight degrees above freezing. When he got out of the water, the other two team members used a heat camera to reveal that his body was at about forty degrees. Wim's core body temperature stayed the same for the entire twenty minutes, as did his heart rate.

I reckon I'll give it a blast anyway and see how I get on, if it at least makes my morning swims in the icy Atlantic more palatable I call that a win.

Assuming, as seems to be the case, that he's really onto something, the techniques and abilities he's mastered could give an enormous advantage in survival situations. Exposure becomes someone else's problem, extremes of heat and cold can be laughed off, the first rule of the three slips down to the bottom of the list, it changes the game completely.

I'll give ye a quick review whenever it arrives and a more thorough analysis in about ten years. :D
    ive read and seen bits about this guy the last couple of years....what is going on here??running up everest? in his shorts..incredible!

Maudi wrote: »
    ive read and seen bits about this guy the last couple of years....what is going on here??running up everest? in his shorts..incredible!
    If it wasn't so well documented I'd have serious doubts myself. The medical explanation given doesn't wash, and I'll tell you why; the bottom line is energy in, energy out. If he's trekking through -20 conditions for hours on end, unless his skin has somehow become the perfect insulator he's radiating heat at a far greater rate than he can possibly replace it, that's why the autonomic responses are there in the first place.

All the medics are saying is that he's suppressed the basic symptoms of cold damage, but his blood hasn't somehow changed into antifreeze, he should still be suffering frostbite and worse.

Its simple physics.

That's not to say there isn't a medical explanation, of course there is. We just don't have it yet, there's something more going on here. Should be an interesting read.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Maudi wrote: »
    If it wasn't so well documented I'd have serious doubts myself. The medical explanation given doesn't wash, and I'll tell you why; the bottom line is energy in, energy out. If he's trekking through -20 conditions for hours on end, unless his skin has somehow become the perfect insulator he's radiating heat at a far greater rate than he can possibly replace it, that's why the autonomic responses are there in the first place.

All the medics are saying is that he's suppressed the basic symptoms of cold damage, but his blood hasn't somehow changed into antifreeze, he should still be suffering frostbite and worse.

Its simple physics.

That's not to say there isn't a medical explanation, of course there is. We just don't have it yet, there's something more going on here. Should be an interesting read.
    my head hurts just trying to figure out how he physically does these feats...i experienced minus 15 once in belarus..locals poo pooed me.they were used to it...but this guy..practicually naked..has to be some kind of mut..phy..i dont know what...but skin.blood and tissue has its limitations...

Got a solar shower in lidl for a fiver...

As i don't think I'm likely to ever relax fully in a tub of ice, as suggested by Doc.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

bonniebede wrote: »
    Got a solar shower in lidl for a fiver...

I got one of these last year, still not brave enough to try it out though :o

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I got one of these last year, still not brave enough to try it out though :o

If you get it to work it will also be a good day to try out the polished drinks can fire lighting trick :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Spent another day on reccy, found some interesting things but also a lot of disappointment. Commercial forestry is often barren, inhospitable and incredibly dense at floor level.

But managed to pass a quiet afternoon away

7286629680_cb240091a0_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Spent another day on reccy, found some interesting things but also a lot of disappointment. Commercial forestry is often barren, inhospitable and incredibly dense at floor level.

Still a good place to hide provided you don't go mad hacking a path into your campsite with an axe or machette. Can also be quite dry and a bit warmer than in the open in winter.

bought some new first aid stuff. cuts and burns. dressings and steri strips and such. also put aside some medical grade superglue that work donated to me at some point

mawk wrote: »
    bought some new first aid stuff. cuts and burns. dressings and steri strips and such. also put aside some medical grade superglue that work donated to me at some point

Is the medical grade superglue sealed, if its been opened I find it goes off very quickly?

yeah sealed, but in slightly unwieldy tubs. they have a nice accurate nozzle but they are very big.

also I got a gift of a marine flare set, rocket, parachute and hand flares. got them, for sea kayaking but god knows what use I could find at some point

Bought an "interesting" bit of junk from TK-MAX, a Large kitchen kit :rolleyes::eek:.

OK I just love organiser bag thingies, and this one is a handy size for putting a few extra cooking bits and bobs in or at least keeping all the ones I use in one place.

For a Fiver I got a little back zip bag (about the size of a wash kit) with loads of pockets and elastic retainers. In the bag were, compo type tin opener, tiny wisk, small grater, some ziplock bags, 6 various size bottles, a thin nylon cutting board, two washing line pegs, a pan scrubber and a cleaning cloth.

Basically a load of junk but plenty of room to add matches, a lighter, a vegatable knife, a filleting knife, salt, pepper a few herbs and spices, stock cubes, folded up kitchen foil and some wet cleaning wipes - other items will surely follow :D

Well my book arrived today. At first glance, I'm not too impressed, I wanted an instruction manual but what I got was more like a lengthy diary. Not really interested in the rambling tales of personal growth, I'll distill down the details in my notebook here and see what I can do with them. My immediate feeling is that supplementary research will be required.

i had some time on my hands and a camping trip coming up, so i made a machete!

pretty fun, need to fix on a handle tomorrow but i ground the blade today and split some logs to test it

i had some time on my hands and a camping trip coming up, so i made a machete!

pretty fun, need to fix on a handle tomorrow but i ground the blade today and split some logs to test it
    Pics dude!!

Pics dude!!

ill throw some up when its done. mildly embarrassingly the only metallic paint I had lying around was gold and i didnt want it corroding:o

• Advertisement

ill throw some up when its done. mildly embarrassingly the only metallic paint I had lying around was gold and i didnt want it corroding:o
    hey when the SHTF at least ta will look good :rolleyes: haha

Advertisement