Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you addicted to alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You just need to drink more.

You just need to learn how to handle your booze sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

Personally I am not and could easily go the rest of my life without. But growing up I hung around with a group of 5 girls and 8 lads. 7 of the lads have drink problems these days which I find so sad and shows you the times we are living in. I don't think its a coincedence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Some pathetic posts in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

1.I always try to give up but can't. I'm not drinking every day or anything but I binge like crazy.2. I'd often start on a Friday after work and be fairly pissed till Monday morning.
    3.People never think I'm too drunk either because I don't act much differently. But I blackout basically every night I go out, 4. like a lot of people - in this country anyway.
    5.What's really **** is not wanting to drink one Saturday night to find yourself drinking a few hours later.
    I love to give the **** up for ever, not that it's affecting me too badly or anything its just that life passed you by living for the weekends.
    6.Do you think you could give it up - if you wanted to?

1. What do you mean here? that you genuinely want to quit or that you swear off it when hungover?

2.I refer to this as going on a session. When I'm home with my friends it's a common way to spend a weekend, pub Friday then back to a house, down to watch the games Saturday and out Saturday night, games again Sunday then home or out again.

3.Had a problem myself with this for a while myself, wasn't particularly drunk but couldn't remember what happened. Not a problem any more. Not sure what caused it or caused it to stop.

4. Different people will tell you different things regarding how common this is depending on their own social circle and personal experiences, I personally know plenty of people who fall into this bracket.

5.Are you being talked into going out drinking by your mates or are you sitting at home alone despite not wanting to drink?

6.Yeah I'd say I could but hard to know until you actually want to give it up, now I often go extended periods of time without drinking when I'm busy with other stuff: Friday night I turned down a night out with free pints and shots and free club entry because I had things to do but I have no wish to stop drinking permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

used to be like that in my early twenties, grown up a small bit, still drink too much according to the government health warning on my can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Blackouts while drinking are very common from my experience. I have often had nights that I can't remember large parts of and other people have told me they have experienced the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hey, whatever makes you feel better man.
    sad, but true. I'd say most people who are in a nightclub blackout.

Keep telling yourself that and you'll probably feel less embarrassed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I always try to give up but can't. I'm not drinking every day or anything but I binge like crazy. I'd often start on a Friday after work and be fairly pissed till Monday morning.
    People never think I'm too drunk either because I don't act much differently. But I blackout basically every night I go out, like a lot of people - in this country anyway.
    What's really **** is not wanting to drink one Saturday night to find yourself drinking a few hours later.
    I love to give the **** up for ever, not that it's affecting me too badly or anything its just that life passed you by living for the weekends.
    Do you think you could give it up - if you wanted to?

Without wanting to put a downer on this thread, you are showing the characteristics of an alcoholic.

If you feel up to it, get in touch with the following: http://alcoholireland.ie/get-help/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Best to take a break from alcohol teddy, even a month off can make all the difference.

At least you're only a wanker when drunk though, whereas some posters here come across as being **** even without alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You just need to learn how to handle your booze sunshine.

I really hope you're joking with all of your posts in this thread. But if for some reason are you actually being serious, then you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol (like I used to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

I went off it for the 1st time there since I was 14, I'm 25 and have drank pretty much every weekend, not always mad but usually something, like having a glass of wine. I decided to see if I could do it so went off it for November. It was really hard and didnt see much of my friends, but I could do it and saved a load of money!! You should try to go off it for January, when people ask you to go drinkin you can say you are having a drink free month after Christmas. I have only had the odd glass since November ended and honestly I am dying for a mad one!! But You should try to do it for a month, it will give you an indication of what you might need to change in your life, including friends and pastimes. Good luck! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What's really **** is not wanting to drink one Saturday night to find yourself drinking a few hours later.

Thats the big one i think. If that's consistently happening then that is not a great sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I always try to give up but can't. I'm not drinking every day or anything but I binge like crazy. I'd often start on a Friday after work and be fairly pissed till Monday morning.
    People never think I'm too drunk either because I don't act much differently. But I blackout basically every night I go out, like a lot of people - in this country anyway.

Teddy, 5 years ago this was me except the drinking slowly became a 7 day a week thing. The blackouts were replaced with dread and embaressment as the stories filtered back to what I was getting up to. I basically was addicted to drink, it nearly ruined my life, the lives of others and I still have trouble holding my head up when I meet certain people.

Drinking to the point of a blackout is not healthy or smart, trust me I know. I also unknowingly at the time damaged my health to the point that I nearly died. Too drunk to realise.

Addiction to drink is as deadly as addiction to Heroin, it may take longer but it will eventually get you.

I was also constantly saying I would give it up, eventually I did and have remained sober for 5 years, the fear of an early death helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I think its fair to say that we've all succumbed to the demon drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They're the worrying bits.
    Lots of people have blackouts the odd time, but if it's happening every night you go out it's definitely bad. And if you set out to not drink but end up doing it anyway, not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

later10 wrote: »
    Personally I don't seem to get along well with non drinkers.

I find them a little judgemental on nights out. The reason I sometimes find them a little judgemental is because although I drink, I tend to look and sound reasonably sober even when I have probably lost the use of my legs (I'm exaggerating,all you non drinkers). And so many times I have been approached by non drinking acquaintances (usually 30 something women) to "look at the state of X" (usually 20 something women) and has she no self resepect? I think she must be depressed.

I really dislike this. /QUOTE]

Have you any idea how irritating drunk people are to non-drinkers? Stay on the dry one night when you go out with your mates. You'll see them in a whole new light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I gave up in september, used to love a few beers now im happy enough shooting gear in between me toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I gave up in september, used to love a few beers now im happy enough shooting gear in between me toes.

Please take heroin responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What does the OP mean Fri thru to Sunday though? Is that drinking only on evenings or drinking also from early afternoon straight thru to the late hours of the night?

To help you stop drinking is up to yourself when you know you have a problem from excessive drinking. Also, try some exercise in the daytime\evening, I think that helps against the urge to drink. Just do some activity that keeps you away from the pub or from home drinking, you are the only one who will know what that activity is which helps you 'think away from the bottle'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

You can't be having much fun in the toe sucking department...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

orourkeda wrote: »

Well... no, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Yes, that's why I don't drink already 16 years. Tempted every single day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No I'm addicted to going out and having fun with my mates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

No doubt man, piece of piss.

Except the fact that you would be addicted.

The addiction isn't the substance you give up the drink and you still live with addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've a pretty comfortable relationship with alcohol, I drink it, it makes me feel good, the next morning it tells me I'm a cnut and punches me, later on we make up and do it all over again.

By a lot of people standards I would be told I have a problem, but TBH, I don't care, it's very relaxing for me and makes me a better me. I don't let it effect my personal life and even if I have a drunken ONS I am home the next morning by 8am to take care of my responsibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I've taken the first step of admitting I am addicted to alcohol.
    I however have no notion or plans to even look at step2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I blackout basically every night I go out, like a lot of people - in this country
    I don't understand how people find this normal and acceptable? If I blacked out after drinking, I wouldn't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

orourkeda wrote: »

Only if the words "fair" and "accurate" are mutually exclusive.

I know there are lots of people in this country who abuse drink, and I know there's a big culture of "ah ya will, you'll have one".....but the retarded attitude of drinking til you puke/fight/pass out is crazy!

Not only that but it also shapes the laws for us normal people (even though someone who blacks out wouldn't care or even know whether the driving limit was two, one or zero).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I can go months without booze but when I do go out I go all out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No
    I haven't drank in about 2 months, but someone said could you give it up forever and I shuddered, absolutely not was my answer.

So somewhere in me I am addicted to the joyous stuff, I do plan to have a very wet xmas and I am looking forward to that.

So its AA for me in the new year.

Advertisement