Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you addicted to alcohol?

Options
  • 11-12-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I always try to give up but can't. I'm not drinking every day or anything but I binge like crazy. I'd often start on a Friday after work and be fairly pissed till Monday morning.
    People never think I'm too drunk either because I don't act much differently. But I blackout basically every night I go out, like a lot of people - in this country anyway.
    What's really **** is not wanting to drink one Saturday night to find yourself drinking a few hours later.
    I love to give the **** up for ever, not that it's affecting me too badly or anything its just that life passed you by living for the weekends.
    Do you think you could give it up - if you wanted to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I could, but I don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah toughen up and stop your whining.

You're rubbish at drinking is what's evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Yes I am in fact im having one right now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah toughen up and stop your whining.

You're rubbish at drinking is what's evident.
    I see I've marked you down before

I think I;m drunk still actually. Can a mod lock this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I think the important distinction is whether you could stop if you weren't in social situations where drinking is the number one activity. If you are drinking because those around you are doing it, it's probably not alchie territory, but if your desire to drink is more intrinsic and not socially motivated, then I'd say you're probably a big ol' alchie.

I myself am not addicted to alcohol. I am perhaps addicted to other equally harmful things, but that's for another day and another thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

I think the important distinction is whether you could stop if you weren't in social situations where drinking is the number one activity. If you are drinking because those around you are doing it, it's probably not alchie territory, but if your desire to drink is more intrinsic and not socially motivated, then I'd say you're probably a big ol' alchie.

I myself am not addicted to alcohol. I am perhaps addicted to other equally harmful things, but that's for another day and another thread....

Yep, if you'd never drink alone, you're probably grand. Except if you purposefully (or subconsciously) surround yourself with heavy drinkers to normalise your own.

Do you have a limit, OP? I find I do, I get to a stage where I think "I'm done!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

But I blackout basically every night I go out, like a lot of people - in this country anyway.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better man.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better man.
    sad, but true. I'd say most people who are in a nightclub blackout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Most of us binge that doesn't mean addiction alone, I could give up if I wanted to If I was addicted (which is what addicts say sorry :p_)
    its usually not the behaviour but how its affecting your life that is the problem, the drink binge once every 2-4 weeks isn't draining my money or affecting mood (ongoing), relationships or work luckily but it could become every week and then every week day without me noticing hopefully I will never have to battle that.

For anyone who worries they are addicted:
    What is stopping you from taking a few drinks one night a week because it might be emotional.
    whether it be another drug, prescribed pills, sex, food, exercise or whatever its still addiction presenting in a different way.

I will be honest I'm not sure of all the options are and will not tell anyone what to do but AA is a good place to start if it is an issue for anyone some good mental health services so your GP is also another option.

• Advertisement

lol, like i said, whatever makes you more comfortable with your relationship with the bottle dude.
    saa wrote: »
    I could give up if I wanted to If I was addicted

No doubt man, piece of piss.

Except the fact that you would be addicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I rarely drink, and even if I do, I even more rarely get drunk. But I usually have less than €20 to my name, so I can't afford it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Addicted? Yes. Yes i think i am...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

i only drink alcohol on days beginning with T.. tuesday , thursday.....today,tomorrow

lol, like i said, whatever makes you more comfortable with your relationship with the bottle dude.

No doubt man, piece of piss.

Except the fact that you would be addicted.
    Well that's annoying.
    Come off it, you know its true. Everyone always tries to piece the night together after a night out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well that's annoying.
    Come off it, you know its true. Everyone always tries to piece the night together after a night out.

no, I don't think they do

I always try to give up but can't. I'm not drinking every day or anything but I binge like crazy. I'd often start on a Friday after work and be fairly pissed till Monday morning.
    People never think I'm too drunk either because I don't act much differently. But I blackout basically every night I go out, like a lot of people - in this country anyway.
    What's really **** is not wanting to drink one Saturday night to find yourself drinking a few hours later.
    I love to give the **** up for ever, not that it's affecting me too badly or anything its just that life passed you by living for the weekends.
    Do you think you could give it up - if you wanted to?
    Reading that back I sounds like a right alco. Try to read it in the least dramatic way possible if that makes sense..

Well that's annoying.

No Teddy, they don't. They really, really don't.

I would say that 90% of the people i know who drink have a very healthy relationship with drink and don't blackout. They get pretty drunk, but they don't need help with a memory like a jigsaw the next day. They don't drink nonstop from Friday to Sunday night and they don't project their problems on to everyone else to feel better.

About 10% of them are ****ing loser lushes though, who insist the rest of the country is just like them.

Nope.

Next question?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

I don't drink. Also...I'm Irish! Huzzahh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Personally I don't seem to get along well with non drinkers.

I find them a little judgemental on nights out. The reason I sometimes find them a little judgemental is because although I drink, I tend to look and sound reasonably sober even when I have probably lost the use of my legs (I'm exaggerating,all you non drinkers). And so many times I have been approached by non drinking acquaintances (usually 30 something women) to "look at the state of X" (usually 20 something women) and has she no self resepect? I think she must be depressed.

I really dislike this.

On the other hand, no, I'm certainly not addicted to alcohol. Could I give it up for ever? Not exactly. There would always be an inevitable birthday, wedding, funeral or Christmas party where someone asks "Carlsberg or Heineken?" and I would give in. But that's probably more to do with self-will than anything biochemical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No they don't. If you black out every time you go out drinking then you're rubbish at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Some people really don't know if they are or not.

My Uncle is normal, hardworking, 50 year old family man. He's up for work in the morning, bicycles to work each day, works hard, bicycles home. In his younger days, he'd go out and get smashed - not in 20 years. Now he just enjoys a beer or two with dinner or during a game.

I've never seen him drunk in the time I've known him.

He got pretty sick though and ended up in the hospital. And he couldn't have any alcohol while he was there. He went through withdrawl/ the DTs (I think that's waht they call it).

Kind interesting. He was absolutely addicted but you never would have thought it. He probably didn't even think he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No they don't. If you black out every time you go out drinking then you're rubbish at it.

Or are drinking too much or maybe should just not drink full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nightclubs here sober me up, I have to make sure I'm extra hammered to even consider going to one.

You just need to drink more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Shane.C wrote: »
    I don't drink. Also...I'm Irish! Huzzahh!

I think it's time to hand in your passport fella :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Am I addicted to alcohol? Nope, but I think you are OP. I never piece together nights out, not since I was in college and experimenting with how much alcohol suits me, even then I might just miss a few minutes of the activities, I have never not remembered how I got home. I might go weeks at a time without drinking, I might have a glass of wine two nights in a row, or I might play drinking games with friends on a Saturday night, but even the big drinkers in my group don't start on Friday and still be drunk on Sunday. I don't know any one close to me who has blacked out from drinking tbh.

Edit: Not a very AH answer but I just think it's frightening that the OP thinks his drinking habits are normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Alcoholics always try to piece the night together after a night out.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Only once have I forgotten a large portion of the night before, I was 17 at the time.

Advertisement