Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of the Christmas single?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Mariah Carey's greatest hour.
    Favourite Xmas song guilty pleasure:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Mariah Carey's greatest hour.

I would have said puberty was her greatest hour..;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Why I was a kid I used to like Cliff Richard's 1988 Christmas hit "Mistletoe and Wine."

My mum bought it on LP and me and my brother often used to beg our mum to put it on - even if it was July! We used to lie in bed sometimes and listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Batsy wrote: »
    Why I was a kid I used to like Cliff Richard's 1988 Christmas hit "Mistletoe and Wine."

My mum bought it on LP and me and my brother often used to beg our mum to put it on - even if it was July! We used to lie in bed sometimes and listen to it.

I hate that fcuking song so much it makes me want to go on a christian killing rampage with an Uzi.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kelty

Wattle wrote: »
    I hate that fcuking song so much it makes me want to go on a christian killing rampage with an Uzi.

Reminds me of a Christmas when I got the first title of the GTA (Grand Theft Auto) game on the playstation :). The rampage bit in the game was very enjoyable. Hours of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I could never stand the pious prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The Christmas single for the most part was a 70's fad... for the most part there hasn't been an genuine, orginal christmas tune in well over a decade.

Does anyone actually buy singles anymore ?

The decline of the single started around 1982/3 with the release of two albums -Michael Jacksons "Thriller" and the first of the "Now (thats what I call music)" compilation album series both of these started a trend whereby the general public had less and less reason to buy their music in the form of singles. Thriller reversed a longstanding industry practice by releasing songs on an album first and spending the following few years reissuing the songs as singles, On the one hand the airplay for the singles promoted sales of the (more profitable) albums from whence they came greatly extending the retail shelf life of said albums. on the other hand fans had little reason to buy the singles as they already had the songs on the album. While there were compilation albums before the "Now" series they tended to be the preserve of smaller labels like KTel (who licensed the music from the majors) who didnt have the resources to promote them as heavily. The "Now" series made the compilation album big business. For the consumer it seemed to represent a great deal (leaving aside the dirty little secret about songs being heavily edited on early editions of the now series) as a double compilation album cost far less than buying the music in the form of 30+ singles (even accounting for a few of the songs being crap/fillers)

By 1987 the record industry effectively regarded the single as nothing more than a promotional tool for the sale of albums. Some retailers even sold singles at a loss and single buying was often looked down as being the preserve of younger (and/or less affluent) "teenyboppers" By the early-mid 1990's (as the issuing of compilation albums hit a dizzying peak) the single was practically a dead format with even modest sales figures being sufficient for an artist to spend several weeks at the top of the charts. (in 1983 it took several million sales to spend three weeks at No 1 in the UK charts and any act managing to do so was regarded as hugely successful by the 1990's a run of ten weeks or more at the top of the charts was regarded as neither unusual nor a particularly big deal) By the same token topping the singles sales chart on the busiest week of the year for record sales was once a considerable achievement (and generally pretty lucrative for the act involved) but for a long time now it has become something that is patently undeserving of all the hype still lavished on it by the industry and the media.

( TL: DR ) "Christmas No 1" -why should anyone give a fuk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I could never stand the pious prick

:cool:did you know St. Cliff had four xmas hits...

Little Town, 1982
    Mistletoe & Wine, 1988
    Saviours Day, 1990
    Millennium Prayer, 1999

Advertisement