Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of the Christmas single?

Options
  • 11-12-2011 2:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Have we seen the death of the traditional Christmas single? The last commercial Christmas songs which get repeat plays year after year have been Maria Careys "All I want for Christmas" and Chris Rea "Driving home for Christmas". I honestly cannot think of any more recent than that which can sustain repeat plays every year.
    Am I right and why is this?

Oh but a special mention to South parks "Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo"

Comments

The death of the Christmas single came once X-Factor started releasing manufactured pop bollox in an attempt to get Christmas #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

While trying its best to destroy the music industry, X Factor has inadvertently destroyed the traditional Christmas single market. So... silver lining and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It deserves to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This year, buy Nirvina.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

irish-stew wrote: »
    This year, buy Nirvana.

;)
    I'm way ahead of ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The X Factor is to blame for this, not that things were great just before with ****e from Boyzone, Spice Girls, Westlife etc clogging up the charts at this time of year.

The actual Chrimbo No 1 is often not any good. Its the songs which didn't top the chart that are the best - Pretenders - 2000 Miles, Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry, Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Have we seen the death of the traditional Christmas single? The last commercial Christmas songs which get repeat plays year after year have been Maria Careys "All I want for Christmas" and Chris Rea "Driving home for Christmas". I honestly cannot think of any more recent than that which can sustain repeat plays every year.

Pop music died several years ago (and with it the Xmas #1). X-factor just put the final nail in the coffin. Hard to believe the xmas #1 was an anticipated event once. Nowaday's everyone is more media savvy and they realise it's all just a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There hasn't been a decent Christmas single since Shane McGowan and the late Kirsty MacColl did "Fairytale of New York".:D

And that must be 20 years ago.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q

F*ck Nirvana, buy local - buy the Saw Doctors :p

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    There hasn't been a decent Christmas single since Shane McGowan and the late Kirsty MacColl did "Fairytale of New York".:D

And that must be 20 years ago.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q

Here's a list
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_Christmas_number_ones

Whether you liked the act or not it seems like the Xmas #1's were all fairly genuine attempts .... up until Mr.Blobby 1993. It's like a light went off in some PR's head that people will buy any old crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Coldplay's Xmas lights isnt too bad.

razorblunt wrote: »

Coldplay?

Might as well listen to paint dry.

I prefer Groundskeeper Willie's version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't soil my hard drive with that Saw Doctors Sh!te.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Coldplay?

Might as well listen to paint dry.

Agreed but as recent Xmas songs go it isnt bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm seeing them in a few hours, but I can't listen to that song without the Groundskeeper Willie version popping into my head!

brummytom wrote: »
    I'm seeing them in a few hours, but I can't listen to that song without the Groundskeeper Willie version popping into my head!

Duuuuuuuuunnnnnnntooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Duuuuuuuuunnnnnnntooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
    NEXT!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I like Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Cliff Richards christmas time is recent enough too.

But even ignoring the christmas number 1 slot, don't even think Mariah's All I want for christmas got there, there is a lack of good christmas songs at all. Pretty much all the chrismas songs I can think of are from years ago. Maybe its just that the sound of pop years ago was much more suited to christmas songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

That Christmas single by Darkness was more recent, 2003

kelle wrote: »
    That Christmas single by Darkness was more recent, 2003

Any top selling xmas song that can sneak "Bell end" into its lyrics deserves praise .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have we seen the death of the traditional Christmas single? The last commercial Christmas songs which get repeat plays year after year have been Maria Careys "All I want for Christmas" and Chris Rea "Driving home for Christmas".

Mariah Carey's greatest hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah the Darkness, they need a revival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Cliff Richards christmas time is recent enough too.
    Getting the christmas no 1 spot is an obsession with him .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The death of the Christmas single came once X-Factor started releasing manufactured pop bollox in an attempt to get Christmas #1.

Nope, it was when mongs started buying the crap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah the Darkness, they need a revival.

New album due out in 2012, I believe! They played a few gigs in Ireland earlier this month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its ok but will it get played next year...or the year after?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Christmas single for the most part was a 70's fad... for the most part there hasn't been an genuine, orginal christmas tune in well over a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The Darkness "Don't Let The Bells End" was class. Imagine deliberately putting the words "bell end" into a song on purpose. Class

Advertisement