Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish descended from Turks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

charlemont wrote: »
    True the Turks only migrated there from central Asia, Most ancient ruins etc there would be Greek. I was only discussing with my son yesterday how the word Gypsy is supposedly to do with Egypt/Egyptians and that got me thinking about the show on RTÉ to do with the Travellers and how the DNA showed that they spent few thousand years in Middle East which then got me thinking about the Exodus from Egypt.
    Travellers spent zero time in the middle east. They're 100% Irish. Romany people originate from India though.

The answer is simple, some came from Scandinavia, Basque region, Morocco, France, England, Scotland, Spain & central Europe, and the rest from elsewhere.

Over time they all interbred and today we have the current pure bred Mongrel Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

You can also find a theory that we are one of the Lost Tribes of Israel. I wish they'd make up their minds, it's starting to affect my sense of identity, I don't know which theory about where the Irish came from to not give a **** about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

dilbert2 wrote: »
    This article is a bit old, but would make for an interesting discussion. It would appear that we are closer to the Turkish people than to Central Europeans.

http://www.turkishnews.com/en/content/2010/02/02/turkish-farmers-%E2%80%98fathered-the-irish%E2%80%99/

The Turks weren't in Turkey then. From wiki:

The Turkic languages spread from its homeland over much of Central Asia and the Eurasian steppe during the Turkic migrations of the 6th to 11th centuries.[83]
    The Turkic migration reached the territory of what is now Turkey, by the 11th century. The Turkomen, Oghuz Turks who had been converted to Islam, were the main component of Turkic migration into

The present division of skin colour was not always so - the Galatians were described as red haired in the bible.
    The answer is simple, some came from Scandinavia, Basque region, Morocco, France, England, Scotland, Spain & central Europe, and the rest from elsewhere.

Over time they all interbred and today we have the current pure bred Mongrel Irish.

Ireland being an Island, has had plenty of periods of little or no migration. There is little evidence of Viking blood, but there is Norman and French.

The whole "we are all mongrels" ideology, which is hardly something that anybody in the modern age has come up with on their own ( it's exactly the philosophy that benefits modern globalised capitalism), is largely cant. It would deny the existence of all ethnic groups, and no-one would have rights or sovereign rights in any country. Yes, we once all came from Africa, but ethnic groups evolved - culturally, and to a certain extent genetically - since then. So we are not all africans, now, in culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Oh Africa brave Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

They could have brought the weather with them, twats:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Turkey wasnt always islamic so 6000 years ago they would be as white as Michael jackson after a bleach bath.

Gee, so adopting a religion changes people's skin colour? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Why haven't we Irish started to look like Palestinians, Lebanese and Israelis since we adopted Christianity, which began in their part of the world?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

This is how it is IMO.

Take for example the surnames of your 8 great grandparents, going to this minimal degree of investigation, each of these surnames would represent an eighth of a person ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Perhaps the original Irish from thousands of years ago had Turkish origin, if you insist. That said, we've surely got much more in common genetically with the English, the Scottish, the Normans and the Vikings in total than the Turks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Gee, so adopting a religion changes people's skin colour? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Why haven't we Irish started to look like Palestinians, Lebanese and Israelis since we adopted Christianity, which began in their part of the world?:D

his general idea, that the people there were historically lighter skinned is possibly correct. Not that the "Turkish" origin of Irish people has been proven.

What is certain is what is now Turkey wasn't Turkish then, in fact it wasn't Turkish during the Roman Empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Saila wrote: »
    we are from the basque region of spain/france so unless they moved it since then :confused:

yea i remember reading the very same fact about the Irish and the origins of us genetically
    it also stated north Spain / south France as our nearest genetic match

mind you we look neither Spanish or Turkish - more from the polar regions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

dj jarvis wrote: »
    yea i remember reading the very same fact about the Irish and the origins of us genetically
    it also stated north Spain / south France as our nearest genetic match

mind you we look neither Spanish or Turkish - more from the polar regions :D
    There's an interesting article on Irish origins here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

The English are the descendants of the Anglo-Saxons, one of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There are arguments that we're originally descended from nomadic Berber tribes of North Africa 7,000+ years ago. There was a very good RTE documentary on this in the mid 90's - my brain fails me now.

Certainly, the one and only time I went to Morocco I noticed some freaky similarities. Locals pepper their phrases with "God Willing" and "God is Good" the same way a lot of older Irish still use "Please God" and "Thanks be to God".

I remember waking up one night after a feed of drink hearing a local wandering Moroccan street band wander by the hotel window and for a second I swore it was a Ceilidh band, the time scale, phrasing and the use of minor scale was exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Batsy wrote: »
    The English are the descendants of the Anglo-Saxons, one of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.

What, everyone who is English?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

pmcmahon wrote: »
    turning muslim gives you dark skin?,surely middle eastern migration would be a bigger factor :confused:

And I wonder where the islamic religion came from:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Again with the above statement,the push of islam was the reason turks are now darker,after invasions and settlements hence why turks can vary in colour,fook sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Among some of the more delusional Turkish nationalists is the widespread belief that just about everybody is a Turk.

While Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (founder of Turkish nationalism and the modern Turkish state) espoused a few relatively progressive ideas in his early years In later years he went somewhat bat$hit crazy (not to mention espousing a few relatively fascistic ideas) and at one point declared to a startled American journalist that all his (the journalists) countrymen were really Turks.

Advertisement