Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish descended from Turks?

Options
  • 11-12-2011 5:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

This article is a bit old, but would make for an interesting discussion. It would appear that we are closer to the Turkish people than to Central Europeans.

http://www.turkishnews.com/en/content/2010/02/02/turkish-farmers-%E2%80%98fathered-the-irish%E2%80%99/
    The majority of Irish men are descended from farmers who came to the country 6,000 years ago, not from an older line of hunter-gatherers as previously believed, a study has found.

Researchers at Britain’s University of Leicester have discovered that 85% of Irish males are descendants of farmers who migrated to the country from Turkey and surrounding Mediterranean areas, bringing agriculture with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

dilbert2 wrote: »
    This article is a bit old, but would make for an interesting discussion. It would appear that we are closer to the Turkish people than to Central Europeans.

http://www.turkishnews.com/en/content/2010/02/02/turkish-farmers-%E2%80%98fathered-the-irish%E2%80%99/

Alert the government, they can give us all grants to open kebab shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

em,no we are not..
    no way.shape or....form..or.ever...
    oh,maybe on boards we are....Mmm:o
    the only link can be..we like beers an
    afterwards.a kebab!
    am i wrong?1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

[QUOTE=dilbert2;75938984]This article is a bit old, but would make for an interesting discussion. It would appear that we are closer to the Turkish people than to Central Europeans.

http://www.turkishnews.com/en/content/2010/02/02/turkish-farmers-%E2%80%98fathered-the-irish%E2%80%99/[/QUOTE]

Yes it may be an intersesting topic.

Not in after hours??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd murder a kebab,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm delighted to hear news that I'm distantly Turkish :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Is this why we have turkey at Christmas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

we are from the basque region of spain/france so unless they moved it since then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saila wrote: »
    we are from the basque region of spain/france so unless they moved it since then :confused:
    So Spain can't be an intermediate stop? Turkey -> Spain -> Ireland?

But what's the point? We all come from Africa, if you look back far enough. Everywhere else was just a stop on the way here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ultimately we are all descended from primeval slime. Fortunately, only some of us still behave like that.;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

it's a beautiful thing to see middle aged Irish women returning to their roots... http://www.veoh.com/watch/v9359934cq4BHPrt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The Spain and Portiugal thing was also proven wrong as it turns out. As for this latest "research" from the UK, where else naturally,
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Men with Gaelic surnames coming from the west of Ireland are descendants of the oldest inhabitants of Europe. In a recent study, scientists at Trinity College, Dublin, created a new genetic map of the people of Ireland. By comparing this map to European genetic maps they have shown that the Irish are one of the last remnants of the pre-Neolithic hunters and gatherers who were living throughout Europe over 10,000 years ago, before the invention of agriculture. The Irish really ARE different. [/FONT]
    and of course
    These very early dates prove that the practice of constructing megalithic monuments in Ireland began on the west coast. This culture thrived over the next few thousand years, with the monuments growing in complexity and reaching a peak with the awe inspiring monuments of the Boyne Valley from 3500 BC. Furthermore, these early dates prove that the megalithic culture of Ireland is the oldest in Europe, and so it should not be assumed that the culture was brought to Ireland from Britain or the European mainland, on the contrary, these findings would seem to suggest that the megalithic culture was developed in Ireland and that the practice was carried out from Ireland onto the continent. Not only is this theory supported by the radiocarbon dates being produced by archaeologists, but stepping outside the field of archaeology, a study of the evoloution of archaeoastronomy and astrotheology confirm this.
    I think the chimps at the University of Leicester better get back to their million typewriters if they want to hang on to that research grant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Wouldn't really surprise me honestly.

Irish people have blood lines tracing back across Europe and Scandinavia, and it's not exactly a hidden fact that Ireland had major trade routes with Turkey, and other parts of the Middle-East and North Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Turkey wasnt always islamic so 6000 years ago they would be as white as Michael jackson after a bleach bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I hate these threads about the 'exact origins' of Irish people. One day it's from the Basque region and the next its meant to be from Turkey.

At the end of the day we all came from Africa, like the rest of friggin humanity. We're all related and we are all one, remember that. Where we were 6000 years ago, 10000 years ago etc is irrelevant because all genetics lead to Africa anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Somebody tell Jo Duffy that those people buying apartmrnts in Kusadasi are just goin home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Riverdance with guns ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Africa

kazul wrote: »
    Riverdance with guns ;-)

Was I the only one hoping that a bird would drop out of the sky and drop on one of their heads! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Yes, you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Gnobe wrote: »
    At the end of the day we all came from Africa

I don't. I come from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Next people will be saying mad things like farming originated in the middle east and was brought to Ireland from there, giving its name to an entire age: neolithic Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Turkey wasnt always islamic so 6000 years ago they would be as white as Michael jackson after a bleach bath.

turning muslim gives you dark skin?,surely middle eastern migration would be a bigger factor :confused:

Dionysus wrote: »
    Next people will be saying mad things like farming originated in the middle east and was brought to Ireland from there, giving its name to an entire age: neolithic Ireland.
    Err...
    The Céide Fields are the oldest known field systems in the world, over five and a half millennia old.
    Yes yes I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Err...

Yes yes I know...

Seriously, are you denying that farming originated in the middle east and was brought to Ireland, thus beginning the neolithic period?

Dionysus wrote: »
    Seriously, are you denying that farming originated in the middle east and was brought to Ireland, thus beginning the neolithic period?
    Not at all. It is pretty nice having the oldest developed field systems on earth though, you must agree.

So does that mean it's now our business why we can't go back to Constantinople?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

True the Turks only migrated there from central Asia, Most ancient ruins etc there would be Greek. I was only discussing with my son yesterday how the word Gypsy is supposedly to do with Egypt/Egyptians and that got me thinking about the show on RTÉ to do with the Travellers and how the DNA showed that they spent few thousand years in Middle East which then got me thinking about the Exodus from Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

So, wait, does that mean we're all "non nationals"?

We took er jerbs!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

You can also find a theory that we are one of the Lost Tribes of Israel. I wish they'd make up their minds, it's starting to affect my sense of identity, I don't know which theory about where the Irish came from to not give a **** about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Sure everyone knows that the Turkish are Irish...

Advertisement