Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The point, Chuck, about where the incident took place is how it's reported in the news. Look at any online report about this and see the comments underneath all pointing the finger at Blanchardstown like it's the worst place in Dublin. A number of years ago Blanchardstown was pretty bad for this type of thing and was in the news a lot for it. Recently it hasn't been and yet people still have this idea about the place. Now maybe it's a case of Blanchardstown being a recognisable place geographically speaking, if they said Clonsilla on the news nobody would know exactly where it was, I don't know. The problem with that is those of us who actually live in Blanchardstown and can't decide to say we live somewhere else get painted with this kind of incident and I for one get pretty sick of getting the same reaction anytime I meet someone new and mention that I'm from here. Would it even be so hard for the news to report it as happening in "the greater Blanchardstown area" rather than just Blanchardstown? I wonder if the reason so many people claim their address as Clonee or Clonsilla is for that very reason.

In terms of Neighbourhood Watch it's irrelevant as it is all Dublin 15 but in wider terms it matters where they report it as.

I heard what you're saying.

Sure I'm still a toerag from Corduff and when I'm having a few down the village, i cannot shake that off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Is it legal for the ordinary Joe Soap to do this? I thought it had to be done by a Registered Installer (Home Insurance Policy) or am I thinking of something else? Apologies if I'm wide of the mark.

You only have to be registered to get paid to work on alarms. if you are doing your own or a friends for free then you do not legally have to be registered. Many aspects of domestic alarm installation are no more difficult than wiring a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

AlanG wrote: »
    You only have to be registered to get paid to work on alarms. if you are doing your own or a friends for free then you do not legally have to be registered. Many aspects of domestic alarm installation are no more difficult than wiring a plug.

After I got charged the guts of €200 to replace a battery and a faulty sensor (which was still faulty :mad:), I learned pretty quickly how to "maintain" my own alarm.

Once you have the engineering code, and a decent manual (the guys on the home security systems are really helpful;) it's pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Thought people might want to know, caught a grown man taking pics on his phone today of teenage girls in the shopping centre. The girl was bending over looking at makeup and he stuck his phone under her. Happened at least 2 times as had to make sure we saw what we saw. Late 20s early 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

PucaMama wrote: »
    Thought people might want to know, caught a grown man taking pics on his phone today of teenage girls in the shopping centre. The girl was bending over looking at makeup and he stuck his phone under her. Happened at least 2 times as had to make sure we saw what we saw. Late 20s early 30s.

Did you report it to centre security?

Yeah first thing we did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Just wanted to give some advice on burglar alarms and insurance, I work in insurance and never take the alarm discount option for the sake of about 10% discount.

They used to be best endeavours basis which would allow you to forget to set the alarm when you leave the house, a lot of companies now have alarm warranties which would mean if you forget to set your alarm and your house burns down they wouldn't pay your claim. Just something to bear in mind.

On the areas thing, Roselawn Road is called Castleknock as the developer who built the houses moved the Castleknock sign over the hump back bridge and sold them as Castleknock and when they were sold he moved it back and then the residents went to court to have their addresses as Castleknock.

That post about the house for sale is criminal, I hope the purchaser sued Lloyd Daly over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A neighbour in Riverwood estate in Carpenterstown woke to find his car with building foam over the paintwork and windows. It looks like the "No More Big Gaps" type stuff. It is not coming off easily.

Yesterday another neighbour had their living room cracked by a thrown stone. My young kids were in the front garden and saw a 10 year old boy walking by. He threw a small stone at the neighbour's house and it put a hole in the window (one pane of the double glazed window) and set off the alarm. I don't think it was malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Brand new Mondeo I see. Nice of some pond scum to do that.

• Advertisement

Nothing malicious about breaking a window? Have to disagree. You Don't just throw stones at windows what was expected to happen??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We played pebble dash all the time as kids during the 80s, never once even cracked a window back then. It was either a big stone and he gave it a good hefty throw, the glass very weak, or just a freakish incident in order to put a hole in the window.

Come off it, punching a hole in a double glazed unit take some serious heft, somebody meant it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Eh, isn't that part of my point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PucaMama wrote: »
    Nothing malicious about breaking a window? Have to disagree. You Don't just throw stones at windows what was expected to happen??
    He might have been intending to hit the brickwork and was a bad aim. Or was trying to get it near my kids to give them a scare
    ThisRegard wrote:
    It was either a big stone and he gave it a good hefty throw, the glass very weak, or just a freakish incident in order to put a hole in the window.
    I think freakish incident.
    Larbre34 wrote:
    Come off it, punching a hole in a double glazed unit take some serious heft, somebody meant it.
    It looks like it only broke one pane. See attached photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shemale wrote: »
    Just wanted to give some advice on burglar alarms and insurance, I work in insurance and never take the alarm discount option for the sake of about 10% discount.

They used to be best endeavours basis which would allow you to forget to set the alarm when you leave the house, a lot of companies now have alarm warranties which would mean if you forget to set your alarm and your house burns down they wouldn't pay your claim. Just something to bear in mind.

Totally agree with you Shemale.

It is just a method to potentially deny payout.

Never opted for it ever, even though I have an alarm system.

Anyone know what caused the power cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Maybe u could give some more information.

huntstown/briarwood area

Some people of ethnicity going door to door "selling", this afternoon, looking at more than the front doors.

White Hiace van <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Just out of curiosity what is the law regards door to door selling? Is it licensed via the council or is it just plain illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Some people of ethnicity going door to door "selling", this afternoon, looking at more than the front doors.

White Hiace van <snip>

Where?

dibs101 wrote: »
    Where?

Apologies; Littlepace, Ongar, Portersgate

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Larbre34 wrote: »

White Hiace van <snip>

People of ethnicity - I know speaking with a Dublin accent is rare these days but to call them "people of Ethnicity" is a bit off the mark.

Anyway they knocked at my door selling cakes for the local drug clinic (coolmine lodge) I watched them come up and down the road and they went straight to doors and didn't seem to be looking at anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Who sells cakes door to door? That's like the worst idea ever.

Buy nothing at the door. Its just encourages all types of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

AAD wrote: »
    People of ethnicity - I know speaking with a Dublin accent is rare these days but to call them "people of Ethnicity" is a bit off the mark.

Anyway they knocked at my door selling cakes for the local drug clinic (coolmine lodge) I watched them come up and down the road and they went straight to doors and didn't seem to be looking at anything else.

I assumed people of ethnicity meant travellers

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No vehicle registration numbers please folks. If you want to report a number plate to someone then please contact the Gardaí in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Indiscussa

Just had some random people at my door selling knives? They were ringing the bell and knocking on the door like crazy...
    What's it all about?
    Just got bit scared...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Indiscussa wrote: »
    Just had some random people at my door selling knives? They were ringing the bell and knocking on the door like crazy...
    What's it all about?
    Just got bit scared...

Where was this? We had them round last year in hartstown; I tore them a new one for clattering on the door like that (woke the baby) there was 2 of them working from a van IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Indiscussa wrote: »
    What's it all about?
    Just got bit scared...

They were at my door a few times in the last year. A group of lads from the traveling community, selling multi colored kitchen knives. They were fairly forceful in bartering even though i had no interest in buying anything.

Advertisement