Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

there was one in my estate for a while (neighbourhood watch) patrolling during the evenings was a good idea havint noticed them since............good time to bring it back ! for the whole area

I don't like the idea of people patrolling the streets as honestly it's just too dangerous - I mean...the scumbags go on like they've nothing to loose. Getting into a confrontation is a nightmare as they'd 'know where you live', and whats not to stop some lunatic watch-person taking the law into his/her own hands?

I like the idea of 'anonymous managing' of it all (as someone else pointed out in this thread - using sms to access an online group as such).

Now let me tell ya', yesterday I went and wrote a nice reply here to this thread explaining how I went through every post with a fine tooth-combe and in-turn spending 3 day's making a platform to run this 'anonymous groups' on...long story short, username got banned and slapped for 'plugging your website' - a load of $hite imo.

As I mentioned before - anyone interested in getting together to try get a handle on this madness and start an awareness/pro-active group please pm me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

CSU wrote: »

Now let me tell ya', yesterday I went and wrote a nice reply here to this thread explaining how I went through every post with a fine tooth-combe and in-turn spending 3 day's making a platform to run this 'anonymous groups' on...long story short, username got banned and slapped for 'plugging your website' - a load of $hite imo.

Duplicate accounts? Tut tut. Questioning moderation on thread? Tut tut indeed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We have rules on this site, you broke them and were banned for it. And let me just state that only for the fact that you've been around a while with a pretty clean record I'd be sitebanning this account too for posting while you have another account banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't like the idea of people patrolling the streets as honestly it's just too dangerous - I mean...the scumbags go on like they've nothing to loose. Getting into a confrontation is a nightmare as they'd 'know where you live', and whats not to stop some lunatic watch-person taking the law into his/her own hands?
    Most of the time the presence of people walking around an estate will be enough to move the scum along.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I just arrived home and my Da told me a story.

Being from the country, he leaves the back door open during the day. He heard some commotion. It was around 7pm. He went out the back, and we've had a garage built on, and for some reason, an external bathroom behind that again (baffles me to this day why it was ever built). He'd left the door to that open for some reason. Two foreign nationals were in the back garden heading into our external bathroom when they saw him. They claimed they were being chased by travellers and asked if they could cut through the house. My da doesn't let them, so they hop the side wall into the adjoining back garden where our neighbour was sitting out the back reading her book. She gets a fright anyway, and my dad and some other neighbours who happened to be around ran in there, and the two lads were corralled. The Garda chopper was out over the area at the same time, and the guards were fairly quick in coming to get the two chaps.

So ywah, make sure to lock up your external bathrooms I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

JoePie wrote: »

Being from the country, he leaves the back door open during the day. He heard some commotion. It was around 7pm. He went out the back, and we've had a garage built on, and for some reason, an external bathroom behind that again (baffles me to this day why it was ever built). He'd left the door to that open for some reason. Two foreign nationals were in the back garden heading into our external bathroom when they saw him. They claimed they were being chased by travellers and asked if they could cut through the house. My da doesn't let them, so they hop the side wall into the adjoining back garden where our neighbour was sitting out the back reading her book. She gets a fright anyway, and my dad and some other neighbours who happened to be around ran in there, and the two lads were corralled. The Garda chopper was out over the area at the same time, and the guards were fairly quick in coming to get the two chaps.

seen the chopper hovering around a good while was wondering what was going on..
    Lucky your dad seen them makes one think how often had they been using the bathroom till they got caught.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

glossy wrote: »
    Lucky your dad seen them makes one think how often had they been using the bathroom till they got caught.

They were using the bathroom?? For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Those foreign nationals at it again lol. Did they drop their passports in the jax? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

glossy wrote: »

True, they could have lived there for generations.... but most likely they just went out of the drain....
    Poor foreigners, they took gardai for travellers. Let someone tell them thats missunderstanding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

markas wrote: »
    True, they could have lived there for generations.... but most likely they just went out of the drain....
    Poor foreigners, they took gardai for travellers. Let someone tell them thats missunderstanding

You're right Markas.
    If they hadn't been caught, within a week they probably would have moved their whole family in there.

Thank god we had the resource of the Garda chopper to tackle them and stop them living in the external bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Haha, I'm pretty sure they weren't living in there. We've never actually used it as a bathroom, despite all facilities being present. My Da uses it as a storeroom for all kinds of magical crap no-one has any use for anymore. They probably wouldn't have known it was a bathroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

My Da uses it as a storeroom for all kinds of magical crap no-one has any use for anymore.

Sounds like perfect place for foreigners..
    But decluttering by taxpayers money? Shame on you! and your family ;)

Seriously, I have no idea what are the statistics, but being a foreigner myself, I do see a problem here - I think it would be better if we do not avoid providing more details about the suspects, including nationality. Once, that could prevent creating myths, and second, could mobilize the respective foreign communities to clear their good name. I probably want too much, and I would gladly get rid of criminals irrespective of their origin, but my compatriots should leave first :) (does it sound like giving preference to a specific nation? well, I am sick of teating all the same way - there is no such thing like Eastern European people - there are dozen of different cultures there, sometimes having nothing in common)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bighorsebiceps

no doubt the increase in break - ins has been severe.

sort sort of deterents need to be put in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Friend told me yesterday of a girl being mugged walking on the Ongar Road just before the Hartstown turn off last week. Two guys on a trail-type motorbike stopped and asked a girl the time, then swiped her handbag and knocked her to the ground. My friend was driving by at the time so he swerved across the path of the bike forcing them to drop some items in the road, among them the girl's purse. The girl was extremely shaken, but was relieved to get some of her stuff back.

It has occurred to me before that both the Ongar Road and the Snugborough Road are areas which are very open to this type of crime. Wide open roads with walls/fences on the inside leaving the victim no place to escape. I live in Waterville and had dropped my car off to be serviced in Ballycoolin and walking down the road before the NAC I actually felt very vulnerable. This story was made me more wary of this kind of attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Just on the above post,A girl got her phone robbed in huntstown yesterday afternoon,she was in bits after it,she was no more than 16

2 junkies asked her for the time and took her phone ...police said its an everyday occurrence nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

26 yr old woman stabbed to death in Ongar last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Is Allendale part of Ongar?

I would've thought it was more Clonsilla or Hartstown than Ongar, but shure they say it is in the north of the city as well. Either way it won't help the poor victims :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

On the news there they said someone called to the house and an argument started.
    Women dead and a man from the house also stabbed a number of times.
    What the f is going on with people.
    Don't know the area, would have thought it was an ok spot, what's it like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It is an ok spot, always seems very quiet. Its a terrible thing to happen but its odd, about once a year there seems to be an out of the blue domestic tragedy like this - whatever the reason - in some location in the wider area, Hazelbury, Littlepace, the apartments near Coolmine station, Porterstown. I suppose whats remarkable is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

nudger wrote: »
    On the news there they said someone called to the house and an argument started.
    Women dead and a man from the house also stabbed a number of times.
    What the f is going on with people.
    Don't know the area, would have thought it was an ok spot, what's it like?

Nothing to do with the area as you said " what the F is going on with people"..there is the common denominator...Society in general as it is a regular occurence unfortunately and affects all areas.

Needs to be a combined approach of zero tolerance to POSSESION OF KNIVES AND OTHER SERIOUS CRIME

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Hi All

There was an attempted burglary in Portersgate 2 nights ago. 4 men scaled over the converted garage roof into the back garden however they were interrupted by some very vigilant neighbours. I was told they sped off in a silver punto.

Apparently 2 other houses in Portersgate were broken into last week also.

Just a heads up for anyone living in or around the area.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Arciphel wrote: »

Turns out it was her ex partner, and he killed her and attacked her brother.
    Being murdered by an ex or a current partner is shockingly common for women in ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0924/1224324326076.html

Sharrow wrote: »
    Turns out it was her ex partner, and he killed her and attacked her brother.
    Being murdered by an ex or a current partner is shockingly common for women in ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0924/1224324326076.html

Oh my gosh that is just awful. The poor family.

Jesus thats desperate. And that she had been in a safe house god knows what her life had like previously.

Poor girl. RIP.

Why weren't the guards watching the house to make sure the ex-partner didn't turn up? It just makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

It's sad but unfortunately typical that the victim is the one that has to move away for their safety while the perpetrator is just told he's a bold boy and to leave the victim alone.

You would have to wonder why AGS would have told her it was ok to move back after feeling it serious enough for her to have to move into a safe house as she must have been a witness in a criminal case against the suspect in her killing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Absolute scum. May he rot away in prison for whatever shockingly lenient sentence he will no doubt receive.

Advertisement