Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stocking up at tesco's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

So here is part 2 or my stocking up at tesco's gig.

The plan is to buy food which lasts (tins, store cupboard items) with sufficient calories for a working man at tesco's.

Daily meal planner
    Breakfast: Porridge with sugar and tinned fruit
    Lunch: Bread with tinned fish/meat and jam; mug of soup
    Dinner: Rice/Pasta with Curry/meatballs in tomato sauce
    Dilutable orange/lemon squash
    1 Multivitamin with iron tablet, 1 Vitamin C tablet.

The Calorie count is about 2425.

One important thing to note is that I have not included dried milk, as I am intolerant (to the milk, not to people, mostly:D) but it should be part of the plan normally, add to porridge and use in making bread. Nor does it include tea or coffee, because I don't drink them. Neither items would drive up the cost much.
    It has a high calorie count because I presume in this scenario we will be working flat out to plant a survival garden, also maybe fishing, hunting and foraging.
    The calories could be split between 2 people, giving just enough to survive on, a least for a while, especially if it is added to by what can be grown and gathered.
    Most of the items have a shelf life well into 2013.
    It could be made more varied by finding alternative tinned meals at the same sort of price, in lidl or aldi.
    Also there are all sorts of extras one could add. like dried fruit.
    THe attachment gives the shopping list, the meal plan and bread recipe, as well as a breakdown of calorie count.
    There is no water included, I would plan for that separately. Nor are there necessities like toilet rolls, toiletries etc, but as these don't go off they are a different storage issue.

Would it be boring? Yes. Would it be better than eating the neighbours? Definitely.

Here is an idea for being able to afford to stockpile food.

1. If an item is something you usually use, just rotate them so you use them up before the sell by date.

However most of the food in my storage is not something i usually eat, becasue i eat mainly veg and meat/fish, all fresh, and no rice pasta or bread. But I do like these items so I know relying on them would not cause to much of a problem.

One way of managing the prepping is by taking some of the money you usually give to charity and using it to stockpile food. (charity begins at home).

Then about 2 or three months before it is out of date, donate the food to charity and replace it with more in date stuff.

The advantage is the food never gets wasted, becasue there really are people who would appreciate food to help feed their families, even the basic stuff in my storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

bonniebede good work and a nice food plan, I notice that it is for 1 month. How about for February you make a new menu with some variations. This way you would have a choice of 4 meals and do the same march you would have 6 variations. Also are tescos still doing 2 for 1 on potted herbs? I planted a load of these over christmas in pots and they are taking over. I got basil, rosemarry and sage.

For water as you are city based an investment in a lifesaver bottle would mean you could drink straight from the river. http://www.lifesaversystems.com/

I must spend some time doing a food plan, all I have is a attic with rice, pasta, tins, flour and sugar and no real organisation.

Thanks. I find potted herb plants from Tesco invariably die and go mouldy on me.
    But i did plant some parsley and oregano from woodies that are still doing fine. Herbs are a good way to add a least a touch of real organinc food to some of this sludge in a tin stuff.

i like the idea of varying the menu, maybe lidl or aldi would be a good place to browse, and the parameters are no clearer to me.

Think I will be starting to stockpile this way, a little per week. If I could put by a month per month, then by the end of the year I would have reached my target of having a years food put by. And would have growing security month by month.:)

Thanks for the info on life saver, I definitely want one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

The lifesaver bottle is great but the cheapest comes in at £99 :eek:.

• Advertisement

The lifesaver bottle is great but the cheapest comes in at £99 :eek:.

Its costly all right but it works out at 7 cent a liter for clean drinking water. Not that much in hindsight as Evian is 7 cent for 100ml.

krissovo wrote: »
    Its costly all right but it works out at 7 cent a liter for clean drinking water. Not that much in hindsight as Evian is 7 cent for 100ml.

I also like the idea of the mobility of the bottle unit.
    My main ideas for water are collection means like tarp, then filter (how? not sure ... sand something...) then boil...

But this thing could bridge the gap to a more permanent solution and cover for times of social unrest and widespread brigandage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

bonniebede wrote: »
    My main ideas for water are collection means like tarp, then filter (how? not sure ... sand something...
    Activated charcoal is what you want there, the normal stuff is no good. Basically filter out larger particles with cotton wool or something, then push it through the activated charcoal by gravity or pump, and then boil it. You should be pretty much good to go after that.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Activated charcoal is what you want there, the normal stuff is no good. Basically filter out larger particles with cotton wool or something, then push it through the activated charcoal by gravity or pump, and then boil it. You should be pretty much good to go after that.

sounds a bit much for me. i was thinking more along the lines of a big barrel of sand and let rainwater drip through... like this...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5879997_make-rainwater-drinkable.html

I wouldn't trust that to do enough of a job, so I would plan to boil it as well.

Anyone rate the idea of a spare mobile for my get home bag?

was Thinking of something like this

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=112

20 euros for the phone, stick a tenner on it, charge it up and switch it off.

also off course input all my emergency contact numbrs and breakdown assist.

I have a phone and car charger normally, but this could help if it is lost or stolen. or otherwise out of action.

Any cheaper way. or any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

was Thinking of something like this

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=112

20 euros for the phone, stick a tenner on it, charge it up and switch it off.

also off course input all my emergency contact numbrs and breakdown assist.

I have a phone and car charger normally, but this could help if it is lost or stolen. or otherwise out of action.

Any cheaper way. or any other ideas?
    I have a very similar phone in my bag. The more basic the better as the battery will last ages in a pinch. Let mine run out and charge it up once every 6 months, but doubt it's even necessary.

The only difference is that mine currently has no sim in it. Still fine for calling for emergency numbers, but must stick a sim card in soon.

I also have a USB car adapter from the pound shop, a wall plug to usb adapter and one of these in my kit. Means I can charger most mobile phone types either in a house or car.

I have a old unlocked Ericsson T28 (worldwide) that I use, battery still lasts at least 10 days on a charge switched on and its a quality build. The modern cheap phones I would consider disposable and not rely on them as I would this trusty phone. It works in cold, heat or rain and no fancy functions, the radio reception beats my current iphone and works in places in Kerry no other (modern) phone can.

Nokia 5110's would be another phone in a similar category for build quality, durability, battery life and reliability but are quite heavy.

I have a old a old UK cellnet sim card in the phone which is a "Pay up front for life" contract with free text and accumulating 50 minutes and 50 texts per month so topping up regularly is not a issue and roaming doesn't cost more in any country. Its worthwhile trying to get a working old sim card on a similar tariff so you know it will work when you want to. O2 have been trying for years to get me to change tariff as I have over 5000 minutes in credit to use and 6000 text's. I dont think I will ever pay another bill on this phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Off topic from Tesco, but in relation to the long lasting mobile phone to keep, there's a very interesting one coming out supposedly this year.
    It runs off a single AA battery, will keep it's charge when turned of for up to 15 years and a single battery will give up to 10 hours talk time!
    http://www.springwise.com/telecom_mobile/mobile-phone-runs-single-aa-battery/
    spareonephone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Only just thought of this because I got some today for my bag. Tesco sell toothbrushes @ 79c for 3 or 4 (I bought the 2 for 50c) and toothpaste for 49c too . Most likely not as good as your usual sensodine and tooth-gum-tongue-cheek-magic toothbrush but pretty cheap and will do great for back up (also great for cleaning)

Enough calories for three days of walking to bug out location - my 72 hour rations for bug out pack.

no. item calorie total kcals
    3 Rice creamed tin 1050 1050
    3 pineapple tin 1125 2175
    1 tesco c creams 2000 4175
    1 peanuts 2440 6615

All items will last a long time, so no need to replace too often.

Nothing there that has to be cooked, or heated, or have hot water added to, so totally convenient.

And the cost....Euro 4.33.

Think I will stock one in the car, one in bob for each family member.

Any other ideas for bob 72 hour food rations? I know it could be nice to have hot food, but it is not necessary I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I know it could be nice to have hot food, but it is not necessary I think.

Its all in the mind and most of us feel a whole lot better after a hot meal.

When we have a flood home here (not that uncommon when the river breaks its banks) we have a decent hot meal and at least one bottle of wine, we could eat a cold tin of beans and and a cold tin of creamed rice pudding but lets just say its not the same :P

forgot to mention attire for dinner on such occaions is wellies - de rigueur ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Where's that! I'd love to come sometime!

Where's that! I'd love to come sometime!

I won't say but we are a "site of special local interest" and when there's a lot of rain and or a high tide all the locals pop around to see how bad it is but nornally also help give us a hand putting stuff up out of the way while telling us how bad its been in the past and how that it sometimes floods so bad it can be 4ft deep :D

But my point was really that hot meals are a good idea just for morale.

I won't say but we are a "site of special local interest" and when there's a lot of rain and or a high tide all the locals pop around to see how bad it is but nornally also help give us a hand putting stuff up out of the way while telling us how bad its been in the past and how that it sometimes floods so bad it can be 4ft deep :D

But my point was really that hot meals are a good idea just for morale.

I do see that point, but my thinking is my bob is to get me out to rural bug in location in three days walking, presuming that stopping to camp might raise ones profile too much. I'm reckoning if its safe to light a stove, it will still be safe enough to stop in a pub.

Of course if you are offering to cook, I could just concentrate on being well dressed....

wellies.jpg

no. item calorie total kcals
    3 Rice creamed tin 1050 1050
    3 pineapple tin 1125 2175
    1 tesco c creams 2000 4175
    1 peanuts 2440 6615
    I might adjust the list a bit reduce the amount of sugary stuff. The body needs vitamins and minerals as well as calories, these things do have a high calorific content but the other effects need to be considered.

What happens is a sugar high first, which is like drinking a pot of espresso, causing a buzz, shaking hands, and concentration problems, then a sugar crash, which causes fatigue, nausea, weakness and hunger. Generally I'd advise keeping sugary or sweet processed snacks out of emergency supplies entirely except for a few hard sweets or small bits of chocolate which serve as a morale booster.

It might be a good idea to supplement the list with vitamin pills, jerky, maybe a few power bars, pemmican is really ideal for something like this and not that hard to make. Dry goods are preferable to tinned goods since they don't damage and are lighter.

• Advertisement

I might adjust the list a bit reduce the amount of sugary stuff. The body needs vitamins and minerals as well as calories, these things do have a high calorific content but the other effects need to be considered.

What happens is a sugar high first, which is like drinking a pot of espresso, causing a buzz, shaking hands, and concentration problems, then a sugar crash, which causes fatigue, nausea, weakness and hunger. Generally I'd advise keeping sugary or sweet processed snacks out of emergency supplies entirely except for a few hard sweets or small bits of chocolate which serve as a morale booster.

It might be a good idea to supplement the list with vitamin pills, jerky, maybe a few power bars, pemmican is really ideal for something like this and not that hard to make. Dry goods are preferable to tinned goods since they don't damage and are lighter.

Thanks. Vitamin pill I thought of for my bob today.
    Power bars? not sure what you mean, sounds like they would be a carb hit anyway.
    Pemmican has always fascinated me since i read about it as a child, do you have a good recipe?
    Don't know where to buy jerky, again maybe it could be made?
    Sugar rush, I agree could be a problem, I currently eat very low carb. However these foods are fairly concentrated, so maybe a little and often while on the move (this is presuming I am walking all day or night would use up the cals anyway.

I know it's not very balanced.:o But it is only calories for three days... i confess to have eaten worse with no excuse like its all hit the fan.

might add tinned mackerel, as I have just test driven a nice little tin from lidl. That should have a good calorie density in a small space, and be longlasting.

I'd replace the "1 tesco c creams 2000 4175" with some Hobnobs - the oats must be good for you ;)

Pemmican has always fascinated me since i read about it as a child, do you have a good recipe?
    Don't know where to buy jerky, again maybe it could be made?

There's a few good recipes out there, this is the basic version:

http://www.natureskills.com/wild-foods/recipe-pemmican/

It also touches on jerky. I guess if you don't want to leave the oven on overnight you could probably rig up a charcoal barbeque in our humid climate to dry out the meat. Normally I just order jerky online, some shops sell it in Galway as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

great thread, cracking idea for the lists. must get onto it myself.
    year 2
    how about locations. places with natural south facing hills, water supply, maybe some high ground, good soil etc..... or would you be telling us too much? near enough the coast would be an add benefit. any ideas?

jimmymal wrote: »
    how about locations. places with natural south facing hills, water supply, maybe some high ground, good soil etc..... or would you be telling us too much? near enough the coast would be an add benefit. any ideas?

Hey Jimmy, we are like fishermen guarding our personal favorite areas so you will not be getting grid references from us;)

We could run the risk with going off topic with good information so why not ask in new thread and I will share some tips on finding your own areas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Normally I just order jerky online, some shops sell it in Galway as well.

I've made it before. It's surprisingly easy to make but you have to get very lean meat - round steak is good and lean and reasonably priced per KG. It was actually much tastier than any jerky I've bought but a reasonable amount of hassle compared to the savings you'd make (not that much hassle, but the savings aren't that spectacular either).

Khannie wrote: »
    I've made it before. It's surprisingly easy to make but you have to get very lean meat - round steak is good and lean and reasonably priced per KG. It was actually much tastier than any jerky I've bought but a reasonable amount of hassle compared to the savings you'd make (not that much hassle, but the savings aren't that spectacular either).

Hmmmmm Thoughts of Dunnes reduced to clear shelf springs to mind :D

okay , this is a very pared down wish list.

This is about 2200 calories per day, in three easy meals...
    porridge and sugar for breakfast, flour and oil for pancakes, bannock, quick bread, spaghetti/noodles for lunch and dinner. Plus one vitamin tablet.

This could however be stretched to feed two people, at about 1100 cals per day it would just keep you alive, if you could also add another 600-1000 kcals from veg, fruit, fish, barnacles etc which could be foraged or grown. The vitamin pack has 60 so could be shared between two people.

items:
    1 kg sugar @ 1.19
    1 litre veg oil @ 1.69
    1 multi vit with iron 60 tabs@ .85
    6kg Porridge oats @ .78 per kg bag
    12 kg flour (half plain half self raising) @ 1.19 per 2kg bag

Total cost to feed one person (2200 kcals) for 30 days 15.55

or one year supply for 186.60

Any other ideas for bob 72 hour food rations? I know it could be nice to have hot food, but it is not necessary I think.

A tin of baked beans + a tin of corned beef makes a lovely corned beef hash. Can be made cold and heated by your body:
    Pour contents into zip lock bag and roughly mix together by squeezing and massaging the food. Once mixed flatten the contents and place next to your body while your mobile. Armpit/groin area will give you best heat or even the small of your back. Makes enough for 2 decent meals and once its mixed it makes a semi hard patty.

This approach works with other tinned meats, a tin of ham/pork can be chopped small however its a more sloppy mix when not cooked.

The tins/jars of paste/pate with crackers are another idea, you can get them in chicken/beef and my fav salmon. Eat this with crackers and you have a nice quick lunch.

salmon-paste.jpgTesco_Chicken_Paste_75g.jpg

Doc makes very valid points about the sugar intake, one or two chocolate bars and a few hard sweets work very well.

• Advertisement

Article in the Irish times on facing the challenge to live for 2WEEKS:eek: without shopping to see if you could eat out of your cupboards. And they nearly made it, except for a bit of fruit and veg...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0508/1224315732716.html

Some interesting things on the sort of meals they made form items which obviously store longer... pulses etc... and the rapid disappearance of meat from the menu.

But honestly, if two weeks is a stretch....they need to visit here more often.

Advertisement