Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

Just got banned from r/StarTrek for saying that I'm delighted that the show is cancelled.

Apparently I was gleeful that cast and crew lost their jobs, in saying that...

PS: I'm delighted that the show is cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

r/startrek has been pointless for a while now. Absolutely nothing but fawming praise is permitted, and even the most minor critique of an episode is removed, you just need to look at the sheer number of deleted comments on episode threads. As far as I recall there was a bit of controversy a few years back where some of the mods were getting freebies from Paramount or trips which one of them posted before removing from the thread.

And it looks like you weren't the only one not too upset about the cancellation

Thread is locked, which is a pathetic response really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kind of wonder if they could favourite options like this on the replicator…since the computer never seems to know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone in here watching "The Ark" .

It is very good. It starts off a bit crap but as it goes on it gets better and better and a lot of it is very Star Trek like in that the crew work together to solve their problems.

There is good Character development in it too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched the trailer and thought it looked too CW for my blood. Bit done watching pretty young Canadians having relationship troubles in space/post-apocalypse/a world of vampires etc.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Its nothing like that show with your one "Pandora" at the centre in an Academy if that's what your thinking off. Honestly just give it about 4 episodes and if your not enjoying it by then fine drop it.

It has just got better and better with some good mystery and sadness in it too.

Also has anyone seen this You-Tube mash-up of DS9s Emiserry and TNGs Best of Both Worlds,

it's very good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Came up on my feed too. Is very good. There’s a couple of extra fleet scenes that seem a bit HD. Not sure where they’re from.

Makes me wonder what became of that Bolian officer who I’m guessing was senior staff with Sisco and Capt. Vulkan-Martok. He kind of makes all of those scenes more awesome. The whole sequence of him declaring Jennifer dead and then dragging Sisco out is burned into my memory. Great performance, we should have seen more of him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was actually thinking of The 100, but ye god's that Pandora looks about as CW as the rest going by the trailers. Obviously looking for a cheap Trek, Mass Effect thing going on.

Ms

Agreed. He should have at least got a mention or two in DS9. Without him Sisco would have died, the Galaxy would have been doomed and the Dominion would rule.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

One thought, we don’t see him again and Sisco boards the Escape Pod without him. Could there be a deleted scene where the Bolian guy also got killed? Maybe that was one disaster too many in a scene already filled with them?

PS, another thing I noticed now,

The Escape Pod appears to be a clever re-use of the Runabout set. The 2 Blue-shirts appear to be huddled into the transporter bay, and Sisco & Young Jake are sitting up on the console at the front windows. Hadn’t noticed until now.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I see Colm Meaney is in the "Marlowe" film remake along with Liam Neeson and some other big names.

It's out now on Sky and other places.

I never seen the Original but I most certainly am going to watch this one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,893 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

More Irish connections - directed by Neil Jordan based on an 'official' sequel written by John Banville using a pen name.

Its not a direct remake of an old movie, it is a new story with the character of Philip Marlowe created by Raymond Chandler and previously played eg by Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep.

Havent seen it yet but looking forward to it.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lasted 30 mins with that film, lots of talking and not making any sense

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Neil Jordan?? Wow now there's a name that has disappeared from the halls of Irish cinema. Was a fairly big name for a spell through the 90s, relatively speaking.

I have heard Marlowe is supposed to be fairly crap though; Colm Meaney also appears in this also supposed-to-be-crap Unwelcome, a horror film set in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭corkie

Despite its flaws, the strengths of Star Trek: Discovery season 1 launched Star Trek's hugely successful 21st-century TV era, which continues to go from strength to strength.

A bit of a biased article?

I tried to find a Discovery thread to post this, but didn't want to be resurfacing a dead thread.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

That's some trash article; sorry corkie I know you're only sharing as a conversation point.

Lorca was a really interesting character the writers basically sabotaged and destroyed by having him being - dramatic reveal!! - evil Lorca from the Mirror Universe... which itself was also bloody stupid when they decided it was literally a darker dimension, cos the photons are dimmer or something. It was one of those stupid "twists" that never had any retrospective nods, hints or fairness that hid the secret in plain sight; if anything it seemed to hint at some PTSD angle, not Evil Twin Shenanigans. In retrospect probably a bit hint at just how chaotic the production was in season 1.

It is true though: Discovery definitely brought Trek back, but the slow creep back towards something resembling quality, and tonal resemblance to Trek's past, didn't start with Disco however.

I think there was one decent Trek'esque episode from SEason 1, the Harry Mudd one with the Time Loop? The rest was just all over the place.

Thanks to Discovery Season 2 we have the SNW spin off.

Star Trek: Picard season 3 is the most celebrated Star Trek <<< ??? <<< show since Star Trek: Strange New Worlds took Paramount+ by storm. Strange New Worlds was literally a show fans clamored for after Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount), Spock (Ethan Peck), and Number One (Rebecca Romijn) charmed audiences in Star Trek: Discovery season 2.

~~ https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-25th-century-timeline-continue-why/

But Star Trek: Picard has, at long last, given new life to the timeline after Star Trek: The Next Generation, which arguably remains the most important, complex, and fascinating era for generations of Star Trek fans who grew up on TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

There are currently no announced plans for a sequel or spinoff to Star Trek: Picard season 3. Showrunner Terry Matalas and his team have publicly stated on Twitter that no deals are in place to continue their Star Trek beyond Picard season 3.

It will be interesting to see if any new rumored show gets picked up, (Seven, Rafi & Worf, Shaw + La Forge sisters & Titan)???

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ms

A Shaw and Titan show in the 25th Century I am all for. He is kind off like a 25th Century version of Christopher Pike.

I would love to see how Shaws doing everything by the book would work. Actually I think it would make for a very dull show unless Seven and some of the crew challenge him now and then and maybe he would begin to see that Picard and Rikers ways at times were right

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah Screen Rant...doing a bit of groundwork shilling are we? It's a bit of a headache trying to find balanced option when it comes to these shows. On the one hand you've got exteme complainers on Youtube who'll often go off on rants about things being "Woke" and nit-picking even relativly ok stuff. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have the likes of this. With ScreenRant I'll also include pretty much anthing made by TrekCulture and a smattering of other "professional" geek-culture reviewers who often lean into a bias when it comes to these things, instead of being honest.

Discovery is possibly the most divisive thing to ever include the Trek name. Calling it "Hugely successful" is a lie. "From strength to strenght" is a soundbyte designed to stroke egos. The show struggled to settle on a theme for 3 years, found one that wasn't popular and now it's cancelled. Other shows came about because Trekkies wanted something much better than "The Burnham Show", and now finally I think we're getting there, but that is *in spite of* Discovery, not because of it.

The sooner this Season 5 is done the better. Then Screenrant and their ilk will have to great creative in defending a dead show that I feel few wanted to keep around for so long. With any luck, they'll shut up about it.

• Advertisement

Honestly this forum is one of the few places where there is a modicum of objectivity. Fully agree that the majority of Trek adjacent media is either hyper critical or hyper positive. Very, very frustrating because when you have obvious improvements, like Picard season 3, it's very hard to work out if the reviewer is just positive for the sake of positivity and screeners, and it's very difficult for them to point out the improvements without mentioning what bilge earlier seasons were, since they all apparently loved them so much.

With discussion with possible future shows another option shows up!

Exclusive: Star Trek Dominion War Series In Development, Details Revealed

Star Trek is returning to its most explosive conflict. According to our trusted and proven sources, a Star Trek: Dominion War series is in development at Paramount. Assuming it clears all the necessary hurdles, Dominion War will be a limited series and — rather than the war itself — it will focus on the war’s aftermath and how it impacts the Alpha Quadrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sound more Discovery-esque than SNW-esque - do we really need this show? Not me? Plenty more other stories to explore

I would much much rather this than that damned Section 31 nonsense. If written and handled well, this could be good.

But of course the latest spin off idea ... involves a war. Cos heaven forfend Star Trek actually treks around the stars! Shut up nerd, pew pew pew. The feels!

I won't deny in curious, but the story has been told. Quite adeptly at that; it's scarcely some grand take with many untold angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Make it an anthology series and you have my curiosity.

There were multiple fronts there's a lot of scope for stories.

While I want to see it, I'm quite done with Trek arsing around in the earlier series. Shaw and moving forward, or moving forward in that continuity with other characters is interesting to me. But they messed around so much in TOS and the TOS film era, and started into the TNG era, I want them to leave DS9 well enough alone!

Ms

It does not involve a war do but the aftermath if it and I agree if done right it could be good and maybe we would get some of the DS9 cast back but of course we can not have ODO back because Rene is gone :( and well Sisko is with the prophets in DS9.

Also Quark actor has passed to or was it Nog. One of them anyway still we could have come back and if the stories are done right it could be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Nog. Aron Eisenberg had kidney issues all his life

• Advertisement
    Ms

That's who it was yes thanks. Very sad that. He would have been perfect for this now maybe we would have got to see him on a ship higher up the ranks maybe third or second in command but not quiet a Captain yet. I suppose they could always recast Nog but it would never be the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement