Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settle a debate - did he or didn't he snub Cameron?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Cameron had one of those awkward moments where you're not sure if you should greet them or not because you're not sure if they're going to greet you or not.

He handled it well.

Top marks.

He looked like he was going somewhere anyway, but that could be a front for a sad little boy who just wants to be loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In keeping with Franco-British relations, there's no love lost there, that's well known.

But as for snubs, it's a pretty pathetic snub if it is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Whatever happened there seemed amicable enough

Now if you want to see a guy getting snubbed ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lock_stock

Sarkozy: (underbreath) "Merde..."

Cameron: "Wanker"... walks on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sarkozy only recognises people by their belts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

No, If Cameron wanted to shake hands he would have slowed down to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He must still remember Waterloo. No dignity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Dotrel wrote: »

Holy christ that's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sarkozy only recognises people by their belts.
    He could do with one around his neck...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He must still remember Waterloo. No dignity at all.

After all those years of being around, I'm surprised that he's only dead from the neck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

hell,its david cameron! who woudnt snub him? there was probably a cue forming in the background just to walk past and blank him;like a cat turning their nose up at cheap crappy food.

Scruffles wrote: »
    hell,its david cameron! who woudnt snub him?
    I think he's a swell guy.

I'd give him a hug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I don't know the answer to this one, but I find the wildly different ways todays events have been reported really funny - the Irish Times and the Guardian going with the idea that the UK is isolated (bad day for UK), sky and others on how Cameron welcomed home a hero (huge success for UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Fair play to Cameron

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Faye Dunaway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

He's French - he snubs EVERYONE!

...Merkel finds snubbing especially arousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Cameron is billy no mates and Sarkozy is just a little jumped up ****er

If I was Cameron, I'd just get the next private jet home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Sarkozy is some arrogant little prick, that video just confirms it.

I don't know the answer to this one, but I find the wildly different ways todays events have been reported really funny - the Irish Times and the Guardian going with the idea that the UK is isolated (bad day for UK), sky and others on how Cameron welcomed home a hero (huge success for UK).

I think both are true. Cameron keeping the UK out of the new fiscal arrangement for the EU17+(?) is a major sop to the 100 or so Tory backbenchers who wanted it confirmation of their independence from Europe. He also did very well to save The City from The Tobin Tax, and he was perfectly correct to do so.

But in the long term he has possibly isolated the UK from the rest of the European Union in the long term by failing to bring the other non Eurozone members with him.

He also lost his bluff against Merkozy's insistence that they could just go ahead and push for fiscal reform without the EU27, thereby creating a two tier Europe, which is the current reality.

The Tories probably don't appreciate what a bad day this is for the UK and the old EU as it was up until last night. I think the realization will sink in over the coming months, and they may regret some of their more vociferous calls of Euroscepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, that was boring.
    No snub there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

later10 wrote: »
    I think both are true. Cameron keeping the UK out of the new fiscal arrangement for the EU17+(?) is a major sop to the 100 or so Tory backbenchers who wanted it confirmation of their independence from Europe. He also did very well to save The City from The Tobin Tax, and he was perfectly correct to do so.

But in the long term he has possibly isolated the UK from the rest of the European Union in the long term by failing to bring the other non Eurozone members with him.

He also lost his bluff against Merkozy's insistence that they could just go ahead and push for fiscal reform without the EU27, thereby creating a two tier Europe, which is the current reality.

The Tories probably don't appreciate what a bad day this is for the UK and the old EU as it was up until last night. I think the realization will sink in over the coming months, and they may regret some of their more vociferous calls of Euroscepticism.

Yes, I can see how saving the City would be a massive priority for him. I also think todays performance might have been tactical to look like he was standing up to Europe to keep those domestic cries for a potentially disastrous referendum on EU membership at bay. If it looks like he's doing something for the eurosceptics, they might relax a bit? Not sure.

I think it will take everyone, UK included, a while to figure out the full consequences of todays events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well since Cameron clearly didnt attempt to shake his hand, I can't see where a snub occured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No snub there in that one shot that I could make out, but he looked like he was getting a fair old bollocking off Baroso.

lol @ Kenny, tagging along behind Cameron with his hands in his pockets and then all smiles standing beside Prodi and the Greek guy... fitting almost.

Cameron made a good point about 17 or 26 countries using the institutions of the EU without the UK....interesting times ahead for Britain. Rock and a hard place choice for the brits there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Either that video file is corrupt or my amstrad cpc 464 is ****ed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't see a snub either, everything looked rosy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I don't think so, tele pictures can take things out of context, like did they officially meet already outside the conference, I do hope it was a snub.

We haven't had an Anglo/French war in centuries and little Sark-dosy does remind me of Napoleon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Dotrel wrote: »

It is cringingly embarrassing that this is the person who represented our country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Holy christ that's embarrassing.

In fairness, there was thoughts at the time it was contaigous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If the Daily Hatemail said it was a snub, then it must have been ...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2072061/EU-treaty-change-Nicolas-Sarkozy-snubs-David-Cameron-swife-body-swerve.html

Jumped up little frog snubs jumped up little Tory toad.;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

No snub at all.

Cameron is pulling the oldest trick in the book, walking fast looking important carrying a piece of paper..
    Could of only been better if he'd stuck a "kick me" sign on froggys back..

Advertisement