Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In contrast to that 'never hand money in'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How much was the reward ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

LighterGuy wrote: »
    true story, bro.

Cool.

It's

"Cool story, bro"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Pj! wrote: »
    Found an envelope with a couple of thousand punts about 20 years back. I was young, but old enough to know that I should hand it in. But also old enough to know that I could stash it and spend it in bits over a number of years and have an epic time.

Anyway I picked it up, looked up and down the street and noticed a young woman from the other side of town looking very panicked (she didn't see me). She was looking under cars and stuff. It was obvious it was hers.

So I quashed my dreams and gave it back. I felt sort of proud walking up to her to return her hard earned. I suppose I was thinking that she might give me a small reward. £20 was the figure I had in mind but I wasn't picky.

She grabbed it off me and more or less shouted at me asking was it all there. I stood there stunned and she walked off.

Bitch.

Indeed, some people just don't have any class. The matter is simpler in most other European countries, where persons who find valuables and either hand them in to the police lost property office or contact the owner directly are entitled by law to 10% of the value of what they find.:)

I have found several mobile phones and some other stuff over the years (never any more than a single banknote in cash, and I've kept that), but always refused the money offered me. I tend to believe that what goes round comes round.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Glad you got it OP...would have been a crappy Xmas for you to lose that amount of money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

later10 wrote: »
    Cool.

It's

"Cool story, bro"

I know what I said :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

cloud493 wrote: »
    I got my wallet back today that I lost in town, with all my money in it, right down to the cent, and my medical card :D. So, do hand money. If you know exactly who lost it anyway.

i handed back a stuffed wallet before and the guy never said thanks... typical d4 batsards eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Sure what self respecting student coming up to Christmas doesnt go arounds with the guts of €600 in his wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I used to find loads of wallets when I was working in retail. Oh the fun we had rooting through people's wallets, looking at their notes and receipts and cards and the like (we also used this information to locate the owners).

I think where we worked was the 'drop off' point for thieves dumping wallets, though, as there was never any money in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I work in retail currently, and we have a box of stuff in the back thats 'left or lost' Don't think any actual effort is put into finding whose it is though, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I was in a department store today and a young lady lost her purse with 400e in it, it was all her christmas money. She was going frantic looking for it and my sis came over to tell me what had happened and asked me to help look. I turned around and spotted the purse on a shelf. I was so delighted for the girl she had a young child and christmas would have been ruined if she didnt get it back. She was so thankful and tried to give my sisters baby some money as a reward which she wouldnt accept. No reward was necessary the relief on the ladys face was a reward in it self.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Handed back a guy's wallet in work in town today after a customer handed it in. Don't know exactly what was in it as I didn't check (guy came in looking for it) but if it was you, HI! Thanks for the reward! /sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I found a really tacky green and white ring when I was about 10. Held onto it for a few days, wore it going to school, thought it was a bit gaudy so let my sister wear it to school another day.
    Parents eventually reported it to the guards. Turns out it was reported missing by a lady who lost it out of her pocket, was real emeralds and diamonds!
    She gave me £100 reward, which was a fortune...until I was made share it with my sister, give a tenner each to my brothers, and put a few bob in the trocaire box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I found €20 in a bag of walkers crisps once and I kept it all for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP is too embarassed to mention the Tesco Clubcard that was also in the wallet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Tesco's are ****. Game reward card though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭irish_man

Was your gay card in it as well?

Can't really talk with your username. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I do hand up stuff when I find things.

I heard this story from a guy I use to work with, he was out "hunting" around the Skerries area and he found a bag loaded with cash, 1000s, he called the Guards and it turned out to be proceeds from a Securicor robbery.

He got 20 quid reward and all he ever talked about was what he should have done with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I found a wallet one time and coincidentally knew the person from the IDs in it. I knocked up to their gaff and they thought I was mental for returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

cloud493 wrote: »
    Erm

585 euro in notes
    8.52 in coins
    Xtra vision card
    Medical card
    Library card
    English travel pass from 2009
    A load of old train tickets
    School ID card

Liar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Liar

Why? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I have found several mobile phones and some other stuff over the years (never any more than a single banknote in cash, and I've kept that), but always refused the money offered me. I tend to believe that what goes round comes round.;)

The money offered to you is what comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Pj! wrote: »
    Found an envelope with a couple of thousand punts about 20 years back. I was young, but old enough to know that I should hand it in. But also old enough to know that I could stash it and spend it in bits over a number of years and have an epic time.

Anyway I picked it up, looked up and down the street and noticed a young woman from the other side of town looking very panicked (she didn't see me). She was looking under cars and stuff. It was obvious it was hers.

So I quashed my dreams and gave it back. I felt sort of proud walking up to her to return her hard earned. I suppose I was thinking that she might give me a small reward. £20 was the figure I had in mind but I wasn't picky.

She grabbed it off me and more or less shouted at me asking was it all there. I stood there stunned and she walked off.

Bitch.

A young woman carrying around thousands of pounds in the early 90's? It wasn't Miriam Ahern by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Unknowingly dropped my wallet last night outside a shop (there was over 200 in cash in it for Christmas shopping) - I was nearly sick when I couldn't find it about half an hour later at home. But it had been put behind the shop counter for me. I was very lucky. :)

Heard on the news a fella in west Cork recently found a five-figure sum of money at the side of the road - handed it into the guards, and if there is no claim on the cash for a year and a day, the finder gets to keep it. Probably linked to something dodgy - the guy would wanna keep schtum.

I remember my friend found a wallet in a pub in Cork with a good bit of cash and a Brown Thomas voucher for a significant amount - she tracked down the owner, and the aforementioned muttered "Ta" and went back to chatting to her mate. My friend was speechless - but what do you say to kunts like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yo Cloud, there's this thing going around at the moment, it's called laser yo, you should try it out, respect, have a happy Christmas, fo shizzle nizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I use Laser but I can't understand the not-carrying-cash-at-all thing - there are lots of things you wouldn't use Laser for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dudess wrote: »
    I use Laser but I can't understand the not-carrying-cash-at-all thing - there are lots of things you wouldn't use Laser for.

Chocolate, crisps, chewing gum, smokes, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

But yeah, generally speaking if you were carrying around 50 euro in cash that's cool but anything over a 100 I would be weary of... either loosing it ( more likely for me) or getting robbed

Reminds of me of a story, a friend got winnings for a bet he won in Paddy Power, went over 5oo, he then had to proceed through half of town carrying this in a sports bag... not exactly the best idea doing that in some parts of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I've found a couple of wallets with money over the years and always hand it in, I don't think it should ever occur to anyone not to.
    It's simply not your money to keep just because you found it. It's stealing.

That being said, I lost a wallet in a pub once, I eventually found it when a the one of the staff said somebody handed it in, all my cards were still there but the money was all taken :(

So much for karma heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

goose2005 wrote: »
    A young woman carrying around thousands of pounds in the early 90's?
    Yeah, mid twenties. She was bringing it to the bank, no idea why she had it.

Despite my dreams it would have been pretty useless to me anyway.
    Rolling home on a new bike with carrier bags full of sugary goodness would have aroused a bit of suspicion compared to my usual once a week pocket money investments of a drum stick, a woppa and some penny sweets.

Advertisement