Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It will mean nothing but still....

Options
  • 09-12-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Just heard on Morning Ireland that Seanie Fitz has just been arrested, hopefully the cynic in me is wrong and its for something decent and it leads to a decent spell in Wheatfield but have a feeling he'll be tucking into his turkey and ham on the 25th.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

joe316 wrote: »
    Just heard on Morning Ireland that Seanie Fitz has just been arrested, hopefully the cynic in me is wrong and its for something decent and it leads to a decent spell in Wheatfield but have a feeling he'll be tucking into his turkey and ham on the 25th.

For what crime and based on what evidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Artificially inflating Anglo's deposit book for years by borrowing overnight from Irish Nationwide? Cooking the books.

Also this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo_Irish_Bank_hidden_loans_controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

orourkeda wrote: »

As foxyboxer says, cooking the books at Anglo, surely this counts as fraud?

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Artificially inflating Anglo's deposit book for years by borrowing overnight from Irish Nationwide? Cooking the books.

Also this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo_Irish_Bank_hidden_loans_controversy

Have the accountants been arrested too?

What breaches of company law has he been arrested for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

We'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Take your Devil's advocate crap elsewhere. This guy has single handedly bankrupted the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Obviously nobody knows yet why he has been arrested. But the allegations of fraudulent activity are very clearly in the public domain and despite the ubiquitous complaints of the inefficiency of Irish Company Law (which may be true in some circumstances which may preclude many others in Anglo from facing charges) in fairness there does appear to be extensive legal basis for a possible charge in the FitzPatrick case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have the accountants been arrested too?

I'm all for fairness in law, etc, but you sound like a Seany Fitz fan... I'm not saying you are, but thats how it's coming across...

Even if he was arrested for something decent which may get him a jail term, he'll be let out on bail until the file is complete and the case is to be heard in about 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

smcgiff wrote: »
    This guy has single handedly bankrupted the country.

No he hasn't. He ran a private bank (very private to the point of arrogant exclusivity, in fact). He didn't extend one single liability to the tax payer, and had nothing to gain from Anglo being recapitalised and eventually nationalised.

Read up on it. It's quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Take your Devil's advocate crap elsewhere. This guy has single handedly bankrupted the country.

I agree

• Advertisement

I'm just asking a question. If thats ok with you.

If you think tha Sean Fitzpatrick is the cause of all this nations financial problems then that says more about you than it does about him.

I agree

So sending Sean Fitpatricks to prison solves our financial problems does it?

It would only be the start.

I'm all for fairness in law, etc, but you sound like a Seany Fitz fan... I'm not saying you are, but thats how it's coming across...

Even if he was arrested for something decent which may get him a jail term, he'll be let out on bail until the file is complete and the case is to be heard in about 2 years.

I just asked what the basis was and never expressed an opinion one way or the other. Just asked on what grounds the arrest was made and on what evidence will the case proceed. Juming to conclusions because I asked a question is a little rash.

The whole legal system debate is a whole different argument

later10 wrote: »
    No he hasn't. He ran a private bank (very private to the point of arrogant exclusivity, in fact). He didn't extend one single liability to the tax payer, and had nothing to gain from Anglo being recapitalised and eventually nationalised.

Read up on it. It's quite interesting.

The government of the day didn't guarantee the banks on a whim. It wasn't a case of waking up one morning and deciding it'd be a grand wheeze to guarantee Anglo et al. The government felt they needed to, and we'll never know if they had an alternative.

It's easy for the Monday morning quarter backs to suggest they didn't have to guarantee the banks, but it wasn't a risk they felt they could take. And that's one thing I don't blame the FF government for.

Anglo is by far and away the biggest of the problems and that's almost exclusively Fitzpatrick's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Ah come on, the inept Michael Neary didnt spend his time so cluelessly as financial regulator to not get any recognition for allowing the banks do whatever they pleased while he played solitaire and slept behind his desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm just asking a question. If thats ok with you.

If you think tha Sean Fitzpatrick is the cause of all this nations financial problems then that says more about you than it does about him.

In fairness his bank and the culture in which it was ran made a huge impact on the whole shape of the economy, Whats interesting is that he treated the place like his own personal loan account for himself and his cohorts.

The manner in which the bank rose to prominence through rocketing revenues spurned other more sensible lenders to emulate this operation. ( to the detriment of everyone )

There are clear cases for fraud within his history of tenure and I have not idea why you choose to defend these people. He is not a broken ould pensioner in fact is living more comfortably than most of the population of which his decisions have caused such a major impact on our day to day lives.

Where is your invested interested ?

So sending Sean Fitpatricks to prison solves our financil problems does it?

Why does his arrest need to solve the financial problems? Convicting a murderer doesn't bring back the dead person. It's about justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

That cynic in me is telling me it's just to divert our attention and distract us from the budget.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Ah come on, the inept Michael Neary didnt spend his time so cluelessly as financial regulator to not get any recognition for allowing the banks do whatever they pleased while he played solitaire and slept behind his desk...

True, and we should be after him aswell. I dont know why people are choosing favourites ?

These people through there ineptitude destroyed the sector in this country. And all people say is ah sure they didnt know and they were only acting in the guidelines blah blah blah.

When in fact there is fraud riddled all over the place. not just bending the rules. Out and out fraud. And if ordinary joe on the street tried to pull a fast one on a smaller scale like this they would be up in the high court.

later10 wrote: »
    Obviously nobody knows yet why he has been arrested. But the allegations of fraudulent activity are very clearly in the public domain and despite the ubiquitous complaints of the inefficiency of Irish Company Law (which may be true in some circumstances which may preclude many others in Anglo from facing charges) in fairness there does appear to be extensive legal basis for a possible charge in the FitzPatrick case.

This goes above and beyond Sean Fitzpatrick. It has to.

• Advertisement

bamboozle wrote: »

He was merely incompetent (I believe) - whereas Fitzpatrick knew he was playing fast and loose (albeit, with the knowledge he was dealing with the likes of Neary).

Why does his arrest need to solve the financial problems? Convicting a murderer doesn't bring back the dead person. It's about justice.

It doesnt solve the financial crisis. It didnt cause it on ts own either. It contributed but is more complicated than that.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    That cynic in me is telling me it's just to divert our attention and distract us from the budget.

I wouldnt care either way. Its called justice. There were white collar crimes commited in this country and across the globe over the last 12 years and some people are more than happy to just get on with it. Letting the perpetrators shoot off into the sunset scott free.

A similar process is occuring in the states, Where we had a president elected on the wings of change, He was meant to be the great new hope with bylines of introducing regulation and impacting the bonus culture.

Yet instead he has appointed many of the former masters of destruction to advisory roles and there is less regulation and increased bonuses. I hope he doesnt get re-elected. The same here as we have Enda the spineless and toothless taoiseach doing the same thing.

listermint wrote: »
    In fairness his bank and the culture in which it was ran made a huge impact on the whole shape of the economy, Whats interesting is that he treated the place like his own personal loan account for himself and his cohorts.

The manner in which the bank rose to prominence through rocketing revenues spurned other more sensible lenders to emulate this operation. ( to the detriment of everyone )

There are clear cases for fraud within his history of tenure and I have not idea why you choose to defend these people. He is not a broken ould pensioner in fact is living more comfortably than most of the population of which his decisions have caused such a major impact on our day to day lives.

Where is your invested interested ?

Thats the whole point. It was a cultural thing so to speak.

I dont have any more interest than anyone else

Thats the whole point. It was a cultural thing so to speak.

I dont have any more interest than anyone else

Ahh it was cultural oh right so.

You know genocide was cultural during the Balkins conflict dont you??

Your points are getting more hilarious by the minute.

Just because everyone is at it doesnt mean its legal / moral.

Where is the punishment? Tell me that?

The government of the day didn't guarantee the banks on a whim. It wasn't a case of waking up one morning and deciding it'd be a grand wheeze to guarantee Anglo et al. The government felt they needed to, and we'll never know if they had an alternative.

It's easy for the Monday morning quarter backs to suggest they didn't have to guarantee the banks, but it wasn't a risk they felt they could take. And that's one thing I don't blame the FF government for.

Anglo is by far and away the biggest of the problems and that's almost exclusively Fitzpatrick's fault.

He's a significant part of it but must have needed a hell of a lot of help on the way

He's a significant part of it but must have needed a hell of a lot of help on the way

Too true, and further arrests should be made, and investigated.

Ahh it was cultural oh right so.

You know genocide was cultural during the Balkins conflict dont you??

Your points are getting more hilarious by the minute.

Just because everyone is at it doesnt mean its legal / moral.

Where is the punishment? Tell me that?

It became banking culture to follow Anglo Irish lead. Thats why AIB etc got into so much trouble through reckless lending etc. Is this wrong and hilarious.? Thats what I meant.

I never said it was legal or moral.

Too true, and further arrests should be made, and investigated.

Of course. It extends far and wide and goes way over Sean Fitzpatricks head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

So sending Sean Fitpatricks to prison solves our financial problems does it?

This goes above and beyond Sean Fitzpatrick. It has to.
    It doesnt solve the financial crisis. It didnt cause it on ts own either. It contributed but is more complicated than that.

You seem quick in your first reply to want grounds for Fitzpatrick's arrest, yet in most of your other replies you never offer any basis for your own comments could you expand on any of these factually?

Advertisement