Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Clippers and Hornets have submitted a trade to the league for approval. Chris Paul goes to LA and the Hornets get Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al Fariq Aminu and minnesotas number one pick next year.

Its hard to say whether its gonna be approved. Sources say that the league wanted Eric Beldsoe

You are mixing up Eric Gordon with Eric Bledsloe. The latter is included in the deal while the former is not.

That should be good enough to get it done, and is a better trade for the Hornets than the Lakers one. Puts them in a far better position for the future - young prospects, great pick in a strong draft, cap flexibility. Much more attractive to a buyer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Crazier offseason...this year, or last year?

I think this year is easily crazier, CP3 and Howard haven't even moved yet, and we're less than two weeks from the start of the season.
    Bulls are close to signing Rip Hamilton, which is exactly the kinda guy they need. Especially if he buys into Thibodeau's defense.
    Looks a good acquisition. I was ideally hoping for Jason Richardson for more of a 3-point threat & better floor spacing. But Hamilton is a definite upgrade at the 2 spot. I was looking at his stats last season...14 ppg on 27 mins (translates to about 18ppg per 35 mins) on a dysfunctional Pistons team, so he's still pretty good. Probably a better defender than Richardson, not a bad 3-point shooter (35% career) and the Bulls don't give up any players to get him (some other potential trades talked about trading Taj Gibson or Omer Asik). Good to get some championship-winning experience on the team as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

moneyman wrote: »
    You are mixing up Eric Gordon with Eric Bledsloe. The latter is included in the deal while the former is not.

That should be good enough to get it done, and is a better trade for the Hornets than the Lakers one. Puts them in a far better position for the future - young prospects, great pick in a strong draft, cap flexibility. Much more attractive to a buyer also.

Nope I'm right.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7342778/los-angeles-clippers-deal-new-orleans-hornets-chris-paul-submitted-nba-source-says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Conflicting reports regarding whether or not Gordon's in the deal for CP3. Berger & Woj are saying he absolutely isn't.

The reliable reporters on Twitter saying that there's no way Gordon is involved. I'd have to agree, that'd be way too much for Paul. Deal seems to be Bledsloe, Aminu, Kaman and Minny's 2012 first round pick. That's a great deal for NO.

ESPN is usually behind twitter, which I find is great for keeping up with the latest news. Only thing it's good for really.

BTW, remember reading the other day that Gordon was telling his friends that's he's pretty sure he's going to be traded. Not sure if that's reliable, but maybe he is included in the deal. Amick on twitter said he's still unsure if he's included, while Berger and Wojnarowski are adamant that he's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    Looks a good acquisition. I was ideally hoping for Jason Richardson for more of a 3-point threat & better floor spacing. But Hamilton is a definite upgrade at the 2 spot. I was looking at his stats last season...14 ppg on 27 mins (translates to about 18ppg per 35 mins) on a dysfunctional Pistons team, so he's still pretty good. Probably a better defender than Richardson, not a bad 3-point shooter (35% career) and the Bulls don't give up any players to get him (some other potential trades talked about trading Taj Gibson or Omer Asik). Good to get some championship-winning experience on the team as well.

My thoughts exactly to be honest. He's shown he's a clutch performer and after last seasons showing against Miami (4 of the 5 games were very close and could have easily gone our way if we'd had a bit more winning experience) and will be a welcome addition.

Just got word the Clips/CP3 trade is definitely off. Can only be revived if NBA bends on its super-steep asking price. This is I-N-S-A-N-E

What a mess. What is happening to this league?:(

Sorry but theres no way Chris Paul is as good as the league thinks. Absolutely ridiculous behaviour from the league. I hope their happy when Paul with the Hornets til the end of the season. They won't make the playoffs. Then Paul heads to wherever he wants in the offseason. Craziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I can see Paul having a few mysterious injuries during the year!

This is just silly now. That was a great offer, and they won't get one better. I can understand Stern stopping the Lakers trade, but don't know how he justifies this one.

• Advertisement

This is just unbelievable.

Woj again...:
    While there's been no official transition of power, general manager Dell Demps has been completely pushed to the side in deal-making decisions for the Hornets, multiple league sources told Y! Sports. "He's basically a spectator now," one official said. Stern has two of his top league office executives – Joel Litvin and Stu Jackson – making calls and conducting negotiations with teams interested in Paul. Demps is still making calls, but rival front offices and agents involved in possible deals with New Orleans say that he's no longer authorized to decide on any transaction. Teams interested in Paul have to send formal "bids" to the league office, sources said.

Is Stu Jackson not they guy who decides fines/suspensions?!

The conflict of interests in this now is just gone beyond a joke...can see a lot of legal action!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Crazy stuff, and Billups who warned teams not to claim him is claimed by the Clippers. He can't be too unhappy with that though, you'd think. I'm just glad he didn't become a free agent and go to the Heat.

Here's a head ache for anyone if they want it.....

screen-shot-2011-12-12-at-1-29-11-pm.png?w=634&h=474

Theres no thread for the new season so I'm just gonna post in here for the moment. According to ESPN fantasy the starting SG position is pretty much JJ Redicks in Orlando. Gotta say I'm happy for him, have always been a fan. He won't get much coverage though with the whole DH12 thing

When did Nene become such a well regarded player in people's minds? It seems like this happened a couple of years ago, and it just baffles me. The Nets offered him $15-16M per for 4 years, and he's just after resigning with the Nuggets for 5 years $67 million. He's a good player, but really?

When did Nene become such a well regarded player in people's minds? It seems like this happened a couple of years ago, and it just baffles me. The Nets offered him $15-16M per for 4 years, and he's just after resigning with the Nuggets for 5 years $67 million. He's a good player, but really?

Its average players being overpaid tbh. Teams hoping that they'll develop into a superstar overnight. Happens throughout the league. Look at Minnesota. They gave Darko a big contract last season. He probably wan't worth it. Heck look at the contract the Hawks gave Joe Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

He's averaged something like 14pts/7rebounds over the last couple of seasons which is good but not out of this world. The reason he's so highly rated is because he plays really efficiently. His FG% is in the high 50s, he doesnt turn the ball over, he's a really good defender at either the PF or C spot, he doesn't miss when shooting close to the basket (like top 10 in the league % at shooting close to the basket).
    He has also developed a reasonable shot out to the free throw line, and he's very good at the pick and roll which worked well with Chauncy Billups when he played for Denver, and worked well with Ty Lawson at PG last season.

Essentially he's a really good play at all facets of the game and doesn't need the ball in his hands to really help his team.

The other factor is that Denver has 2 players, Wilson Chandler and JR Smith who signed to play in China without the option to return when the lockout ended, so they're stuck there now. This leaves Denver with plenty of caps space to re sign Nene but without the chance to go for DHoward or CP3. So they probably overspent a little bit.

Lafortezza wrote: »
    He's averaged something like 14pts/7rebounds over the last couple of seasons which is good but not out of this world. The reason he's so highly rated is because he plays really efficiently. His FG% is in the high 50s, he doesnt turn the ball over, he's a really good defender at either the PF or C spot, he doesn't miss when shooting close to the basket (like top 10 in the league % at shooting close to the basket).
    He has also developed a reasonable shot out to the free throw line, and he's very good at the pick and roll which worked well with Chauncy Billups when he played for Denver, and worked well with Ty Lawson at PG last season.

Like I said he's a pretty decent player don't get me wrong. But it shows how messed up the cap system is at the moment when average to mediocre players are barely earning less then the superstars.

I mean LeBron's only gonna be making a couple of million more than Nene is next year unbelievable.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

What about the Warriors giving Kwame Brown 7 million for a season, centers are really hard to find i suppose.

• Advertisement

What about the Warriors giving Kwame Brown 7 million for a season, centers are really hard to find i suppose.

I wasn't too pleased to hear about that at first but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I actually think using the amnesty on Charlie Bell was by far the worst move the Warriors have made so far Didn't get to see a whole lot of Kwame last year but some Warriors fans are saying he looked decent and could probably push Beans out of the line up . In all likelihood we were probably never close to signing DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler so hence why it makes a little sense imo.

Not to mention he becomes a big asset at the trade deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Plus there's the fact that teams must spend a certain amount on player contracts each year with the new CBA. So teams can't tank a season by spending very little on players this season in the hope of getting a max contract superstar in next years free agency. Since they have to spend the money now you will see weaker players getting paid more.

LOL at Rodney Stuckey rejecting a 5 years / $40 - $45M contract from the Pistons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I wasn't too pleased to hear about that at first but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I actually think using the amnesty on Charlie Bell was by far the worst move the Warriors have made so far Didn't get to see a whole lot of Kwame last year but some Warriors fans are saying he looked decent and could probably push Beans out of the line up . In all likelihood we were probably never close to signing DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler so hence why it makes a little sense imo.

Not to mention he becomes a big asset at the trade deadline

Yea he could possibly push Beans out but that's not really a hard task the way he has being playing. He was apparently good last season but as for his career he has been pretty disapointing. Just another stop gap and leverage for trades but its always the same.

Orlando has made it public that they won't trade Dwight Howard. Looks like their gonna try surround him with assets for a championship one more time before the next year or hes defo gone.

Scott Howard Cooper:
    RT @ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources: Clippers and Hornets agree to Chris Paul deal in principle. Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, Minn pick to Hornets

Reported by everyone now. I think that's a lot to give up for Paul, turns out the Hornets were better served by rejecting the Lakers deal.

Clippers really should have tried to hold onto Gordon, I think Stern would have caved and taken Bledsloe instead. Even that was a solid deal.

Going to be very interesting to see Blake and Paul together.

They've only got a better deal because the league storm armed every proposed deal!

It's not as if the Lakers deal was giving them fcuk all!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

moneyman wrote: »
    Going to be very interesting to see Blake and Paul together.

Very interesting. It's also nice to see the Clippers get ''one up'' in a way over the Lakers by getting the player they wanted and were pushing hard for.

kmart6 wrote: »
    They've only got a better deal because the league storm armed every proposed deal!

It's not as if the Lakers deal was giving them fcuk all!

Yep, but regardless, Stern still showed he was right that the Hornets could get a better deal (whatever about anything else). This is significantly better than the Lakers deal for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Clippers gave up too much. For some this will make the league office seem like they knew what they were doing all along. Bull****. Not after all the cockups. They had not a clue what the hell they were doing and now they have been bailed out.

Advertisement