Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Are you drunk? have you ever used ICS? The majority of Touchwiz is horriffic!
    And once again. Drunk?

Lol not drunk. I haven't owned samsung but played with my brothers S2 and I found the interface very good (I have a Desire myself same as the OP).

I haven't used ICS but I was reading about some of the features it lacked and I couldn't be putting up with that to be honest.
    Besides S2 gets ICs early 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ste- wrote: »
    Can you access download mode ?

Believe me it's beyond hope. I can load any ROMs I want on it but it won't change a thing in getting the phone to boot up.

Odin is the only thing that will detect my phone. Windows wont pick it up as USB storage and Kies won't detect it.

I keep on installing stock samsung software to try and help it but it just hangs on boot up after installing. Just won't go past the Galaxy start screen, no way, no how. The only way it will turn off is to pull the battery and even then it has to be out for at least 30 seconds because if you put back in any quicker it's still on the boot screen somehow.

I left it in to that place in the GPO arcade and they could not fix it. They were asking how I managed to mess it up and was I trying to partition the internal memory.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lol not drunk. I haven't owned samsung but played with my brothers S2 and I found the interface very good (I have a Desire myself same as the OP).

I haven't used ICS but I was reading about some of the features it lacked and I couldn't be putting up with that to be honest.

Touchwiz is horrible and slow. It doesnt even add that much
    What features is ICS missing? The only 1 I can think right off the bat is Facebook integration (which is easily solved with Friendcaster until FB pulls their head out). Oh and the quick toggles in the notification menu but a widget can sort that too

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Thats fair enough, I assume you mean the lack of SD slot etc. I like you could not put up with the substandard stuff either...

On the S2 that is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Believe me it's beyond hope. I can load any ROMs I want on it but it won't change a thing in getting the phone to boot up.

Odin is the only thing that will detect my phone. Windows wont pick it up as USB storage and Kies won't detect it.

I keep on installing stock samsung software to try and help it but it just hangs on boot up after installing. Just won't go past the Galaxy start screen, no way, no how. The only way it will turn off is to pull the battery and even then it has to be out for at least 30 seconds because if you put back in any quicker it's still on the boot screen somehow.

I left it in to that place in the GPO arcade and they could not fix it. They were asking how I managed to mess it up and was I trying to partition the internal memory.:confused:

I'd still says there's hope if you can access download mode in odin.
    Sounds like your bootloader is ****ed tho.
    There is a thread on xda about an unbrickable mod, not sure if the S2 is included but you're not going to lose anything trying to look.

Also maybe try Heimdall. Stick to flashing full stock sammy. If teh bootloader was borked tho you shouldn't be getting download mode. I had my s1 in a similar state last week and was still able to flash stock firmware, well it was a cf-root kernel to get recovery and from there stuck on a custom rom.

I would only give up on it if you didn't have download mode.

• Advertisement

Touchwiz is horrible and slow. It doesnt even add that much
    What features is ICS missing? The only 1 I can think right off the bat is Facebook integration (which is easily solved with Friendcaster until FB pulls their head out). Oh and the quick toggles in the notification menu but a widget can sort that too

Honestly I can't remember but I remember reading about some stuff and thinking....nah couldn't deal with that

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You could maybe buy one with a smashed screen for peanuts and swap the motherboard? I've no idea how difficult that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Swapping motherboards on a laptop is not worth it, I imagine in a phone it is much harder and less worth it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fair enough. It's what LG ended up doing with my bricked phone (luckily under guarantee) so just thought I'd put it out as a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Ste- wrote: »
    Can you access download mode ?

The good thing is that you can. access Odin download mode which tells me that your SGS2 is not completely dead yet

I managed to softbrick my Sgs2 at on many occasions but I have a very cheap piece of hardware that resets my phone.

Google USB Jig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Have you tried flashing stock firmware with the .PIT file included, I get the impression that it might help if you've soft-bricked it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Bumping this as I'm due an upgrade myself and I'm undecided between the S2 and the Nexus. After reading through the thread the general consensus seems to be towards the Nexus. I'm wondering if anyone has had more experience with either that would change their mind?

Also, what conditions do Meteor have on trading in a phone? I have a Desire that I'll be wanting to get rid of if I get a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I went with the s2 in the end due to the Sd card issue (spent 70euro on a class 10 32gb about a year ago and didn't want it to go to waste). Fantastic phone I gotta say. I'm not too bothered by the AOSP thing since I have it rooted running CheckRom which is fantastic. All depends on what's more important to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Great choice s2 is defo the better phone imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

IN same position,

At this stage now I'm gonna wait for the SIII, cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    IN same position,

It's not out 'til June.....I'd go for the Nexus. Best phone I've ever owned - I've had a Galaxy S2, iPhone 4 previously. ICS is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

S2 is getting ICS very soon in fact if you use an AOSP rom you can have it right now :)

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    IN same position,

When is this likely to come out?

edit: Early June, I see. Same time I feel there's always going to be the new better phone around the corner to wait for. Eventually you should just buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Looking at upgrading to the S2 aswell but if theres a new S3 in June im aswell to wait for that,what price range are we looking at for the S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I have both. Went from the SG2 to the GN and now that I've got ICS on the SG2 I've gone back to it. The GN is a great phone, but for me , its just too big. The screen size of the SG2 and its thinness and lightness wins for me.

Probably going to stick the GN up on adverts soon once I'm completely sure the SG2 is happy with ICS.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    I have both. Went from the SG2 to the GN and now that I've got ICS on the SG2 I've gone back to it. The GN is a great phone, but for me , its just too big. The screen size of the SG2 and its thinness and lightness wins for me.

Probably going to stick the GN up on adverts soon once I'm completely sure the SG2 is happy with ICS.

I compared both handsets size wise in the store and there's only about a centimetercentimeter in the difference. Both are giants compared to the desire, so for me it's going to feel oversized either way in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its a centimeter longer (the GN that is) in length and a mil or two width. Its also (of feels) substantially thicker and weightier than the SG2.

For me its enough to make the difference.
    Cianos wrote: »
    I compared both handsets size wise in the store and there's only about a centimetercentimeter in the difference. Both are giants compared to the desire, so for me it's going to feel oversized either way in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've a Desire since June 2010 and Meteor have been ringing me since June 2011 trying to get me into another contract. I bought the original one for about 140 and a 12 month 35 euro a month 200 min/200 txt/1 gig contract.
    I moved over to their 15 quid monthy deal *for the same min/txt/data* in December.
    I've had my desire running the latesd Cyanogenmod since just after I bought the phone.
    I've thought about upgrading but I do wonder is it really worth it at the moment.
    I am on a very good monthly rate and it covers what I need. (upgrading would mean a tie in to a more expensive contract.
    The Desire (with a custom ROM) is capable of running whatever SW comes out.
    And mainly - despite all the hardware changes and improvements, in my opinion battery technology is not advancing fast enough.

That said, I like both phones that this thread is about but from a financial/functionality pov I wont be moving to another phone until I have to and at that point I hope there will be something out there significently better than the desire..
    Sorry, probably hasn't added anything to the discussion but adding my 2 cents.

Part of the reason I'd be upgrading is because I can sell my Desire for probably around 100 quid at the moment. So a top of the range phone with upgrade is going to work out less than 200 quid. Plus if I want to I could sell it on for more than I paid for it too.

Part of the reason I'd be upgrading is because I can sell my Desire for probably around 100 quid at the moment.

Seriously ??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

rommy wrote: »
    S2 is getting ICS very soon in fact if you use an AOSP rom you can have it right now :)

Yeah but the stock launcher on the nexus is way better than touchwiz, which sucks!

Edit: Nexus as stock, is far better I think. I know you can change the launcher but...good enough out of the box, which is a first for an Android phone imo.

Seriously ??!

:confused:

I was expecting to log on to adverts and see Desires being sold for less than 100, but most are going for a good bit more so I'm not sure what your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Seriously ??!
    CPW gave me 110 euro for my Desire as a trade in against my new S2, I definitely could have gotten more if i'd been bothered to put it up on Adverts.

:confused:

I was expecting to log on to adverts and see Desires being sold for less than 100, but most are going for a good bit more so I'm not sure what your point is?

I wasn't making a point I was asking a question. It surprises me they go for so much - thats all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wasn't making a point I was asking a question. It surprises me they go for so much - thats all

They are still a decent phone tbf.

Advertisement