Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus

Options
  • 09-12-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Tomorrow I am finally upgrading my constantly rebooting Desire. I was torn between the Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus but now I have more or less decided on the on the S2. I know the Galaxy Nexus has a much better (higher pixelated) display and of course Ice Cream Sandwich but the display isn't that important to me. The S2 has a faster processor, better camera, will be getting ICS in 2012 (that will happen, right?) ..

If you have and experience of either or both I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I was reluctant to go for the S2 as it is the bones of a year old and must be about to be knocked off its pedistal. It seems the Galaxy Nexus hasn't done it though and my Desire has forced me to move now rather than wait til the new year..

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to android forum.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

How much would both cost you?

If you need to buy now and can't hold out then it makes no sense to get the S2, it should be getting ICS but after that it probably won't get many updates. The Nexus will get them for a while yet and get them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

With trading in my Desire the Galaxy Nexus will cost €150 or the S2 would cost €100 with the desire..

The S2 just seems to be a better piece of kit, with ICS and the display the only real selling points for the Galaxy Nexus, the S2 seems to be ahead in most other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I also keep swinging between the two. On the one hand I like that the Nexus will always get OTA updates first, but feel the lack of an SD slot really lets it down (I like to keep a lot of music on my phone). The camera also appears to be better on the S2, and to be honest i'll probably root it anyway (like I did with my Desire) and put an ICS rom on to it once they start to drop in January or so. So i'm slightly leaning towards the S2 at the minute myself, but am open to be convinced otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

dahayeser wrote: »
    With trading in my Desire the Galaxy Nexus will cost €150 or the S2 would cost €100 with the desire..

The S2 just seems to be a better piece of kit, with ICS and the display the only real selling points for the Galaxy Nexus, the S2 seems to be ahead in most other areas.

Where are you trading in and what kind of deal is it? I'd nearly do that myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

;l statutorio
    Meteor, but I know 3 give €104 reduction if you trade in a Desire and I think their prices are even lower so there is definitely good value there. I am just sticking with Meteor to hold my 12 month contract, 3 only offering 18 months ..

@choronzonix
    I've heard good things about the Galaxy Nexus camera despite being just 5mp, supposedly much better than the sensation 8mp camera, especially for night shots. Probably inferior to the S2 alright but I hear it is decent if that infulences your decision ..

... its a tough call! I am swinging back towards the Galaxy Nexus now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Looking at a similar decision myself.

Someone has offered to get me a smart phone as a gift and I am struggling to decide what one to get. These 2 are the current front runners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I wouldn't let ICS influence me, the Galaxy S2 is a hugely popular device and once you root it you can be fairly sure it'll be supported with bleeding edge updates from xda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have the Galaxy Nexus.

Some reasons I think it's better:

-- proper Google Android device, with no TouchWiz and timely updates. Super easy to root and install custom roms, should you want to, when those come. Maybe someone will correct me but I've heard from S2 owners that rooting and custom roms can be more hassle than they're worth on the S2, with a lot of proprietary and locked-down Samsung drivers.

-- It has ICS now and is built for it with proper software on-screen buttons etc. Can't be over-emphasised how lovely this OS is, imo.

-- Looks much better than the S2 (again, in my opinion). S2 is an uncomfortable rectangular slab of a thing... Galaxy Nexus has some lovely curves... and I'm a big fan of the every-so-slightly curved glass on the front.

-- The camera is lower resolution but I understand it takes better photos? I'm not really a camera person though so I'm not sure. It does take instant photos (i.e. zero shutter lag) which is quite impressive.

-- Screen resolution is amazing.

Only downside I can think of is the lack of SD Card.. and I thought that would bother me much more than it has. Really, it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. If you wanted to put tens-of-gigs worth of music on there then I guess it might, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Goodshape wrote: »
    I have the Galaxy Nexus.

Some reasons I think it's better:

-- proper Google Android device, with no TouchWiz and timely updates. Super easy to root and install custom roms, should you want to, when those come. Maybe someone will correct me but I've heard from S2 owners that rooting and custom roms can be more hassle than they're worth on the S2, with a lot of proprietary and locked-down Samsung drivers.

This is really only a problem at the moment with trying to get ICS on it before a Samsung rom gets released/leaked. The GS2 is really remarkably open considering they opened the bootloader at a time when HTC were starting to lock them (before the backlash). Its been a piece of piss for Custom roms since day 1 really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Vegeta wrote: »
    Looking at a similar decision myself.

Someone has offered to get me a smart phone as a gift and I am struggling to decide what one to get. These 2 are the current front runners

I think I know what one they are getting you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Got the Galaxy Nexus and i have to say i'm loving it. Never thought i'd end up buying a samsung phone as i heard terrible things about there build quality. Also i've used touchwiz before and i didn't enjoy it.

With the Galaxy Nexus i'll always get the latest updates for at least two years. So that means Jelly Bean as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I got a S2 a few months ago and went and bricked it :( so I bought another one :) I sent the original to someone in the states to play with, see here, its on its way back to me now, big thank you to Adam Outler for fixing it. The sad news is that it seems there will be no unbrickable mod for the S2 but regardless its by far the best phone Ive ever owned and now I have two of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Offy wrote: »
    I got a S2 a few months ago and went and bricked it :( so I bought another one :) I sent the original to someone in the states to play with, see here, its on its way back to me now, big thank you to Adam Outler for fixing it. The sad news is that it seems there will be no unbrickable mod for the S2 but regardless its by far the best phone Ive ever owned and now I have two of them ;)

How did you brick the s2 exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

.The S2 has a faster processor, better camera, will be getting ICS in 2012 (that will happen, right?) ..

I disagree. The S2 has not got a faster processor, they are both dual core 1.2G afaik but the Nexus has outperformed it in most benchmarking tests that I have read for example;

galaxy-nexus-benchmarks,Z-Q-316214-13.png

However the GPU in the S2 is without doubt faster which would manifest itself best in gaming.

The Camera is a matter of perspective. I have read many reviews, but most are before the phone was even released. The Nexus is suppose to have a far superior lense and sensor (I wouldn't read too much into that either btw), the below link is a good test review and again there is no clear winner, so one might argue the nexus is the winner, one might argue the S2 is.

One thing you will notice in any comparison review the screen on the S2 looks dull and dated compared to the screen on the Nexus.

Connectivity the Nexus falls down. The HD recording is so good (and I compared to the iPhone 4S, nexus destoyed both phones) but its so good you will use it and that lack of SD slot is a bummer.

http://hemorrdroids.net/samsung-galaxy-nexus-vs-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-camera-test/

My tuppence worth..

Wouldnt a Quadrant score make more sense to use then Javascript since the ICS browser is supposed to be a huge improvement compared to the GB?
    Although we dont know how much more efficient the Nexus chip is compared to the S2 until optimised ICS builds are out for the S2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Galaxy Nexus is a much better all round package than the SGS2, don't get too caught up in the specs. I got rid of my SGS2 in favour of one and am very happy with it indeed. The screen is sumptuous, the phone looks great and the lack of buttons is a real benefit of ICS that won't apply to the SGS2. The shooter is actually fine, and defo better than the HTC Sensation though probably not as good as the SGS2 but not too far off, and perhaps better in low light.

The Galaxy Nexus also looks and feels alot better than the SGS2, it doesn't have the flakey plasticky feel of the SGS and SGS2. As stated above it will also get updates to Android long after Samsung have forgotten about the SGS2. And don't discount how much of a difference the screen makes, you spend almost all the time you are using your phone looking at it!

I agree, but some would say Quadrant is outdated too. I believe the best tools are available in the Android market CF Bench etc. I guess my point is its the sum of all parts, and I personally wouldn't let GPU/CPU be the point that sways my decision or the Camera for that matter, on these two phones. The Nexus is super fast. It would be connectivity, screen etc. Some people couldn't live with 16GB, so the Nexus would be no good, some people, like me, want the 720P screen and 16GB is ample. The Irony is I'd love a mini HDMI out. Its the Nexus for me, but the person next to me bought the S2 ;)

PS. I will say this, everyone looks at that Nexus Screen and wants to pick it up... :D

Inquitus wrote: »
    and perhaps better in low light.
    QUOTE]

Thats a real plus, when out at night you can defo get a good picture in the dark with the Nexus. In low light or dimmed light, IMO both are crap.

True. Ive wanted to hump that Nexus screen many a time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How did you brick the s2 exactly?

I bricked one too myself and bought another one as it could not be fixed. I bricked mine while trying to install the CM7 ROM. Rooting was easy just be careful with those ROMs. I got the file from the XDA site and all but it stuffed up during the install. I followed every step by the letter so I don't know where it all went wrong.

I still have it and no one can figure out how to sort it out.

I'm going to get someone else to install CM7 on my new S2 as I'm not paying another €500 for a 3rd one. If touchwizz was not so bad I'd leave it alone. HTC Sense is a better overlay but I'd rather the pure Android OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

OK, sorry to hear that.

Its just I never actually heard of people bricking their phones, I am going to root my gs2 tomorrow I imagine it is easier or as easy to do as the G1 hopefully.

I do not mind touchwhizz, I just do not like any overlay at all and all the bloatware.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nobody's mentioned the superior glass panel on the SGS2...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I still have it and no one can figure out how to sort it out.

Can you access download mode ?

Nobody's mentioned the superior glass panel on the SGS2...

Link?

Or do you mean its not using Cornings Gorilla Glass, just another brand of fortified glass? Which if Im a betting man, Samsung will start using on all their handsets in the future...

Who knows, rumour has it that it uses Fortified Dragontrail Glass, touted to be much stronger than Gorilla Glass...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Link?

Or do you mean its not using Cornings Gorilla Glass, just another brand of fortified glass? Which if Im a betting man, Samsung will start using on all their handsets in the future...

Who knows, rumour has it that it uses Fortified Dragontrail Glass, touted to be much stronger than Gorilla Glass...

This glass actually seems better than that on the SGS2, no micro scratches or anything in 3 weeks in my pocket, my SGS2 had a couple of micro scratches by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OP no contest.

S2 all the way.
    Reasons:
    1. Nexus is stupidly big
    5. Nexus comes with vanilla android which is cack and lacks good features that touchwhiz has
    579. S2 gets ICS early next year.
    42. S2 has better GPU
    5. Nexus is stupidly expensive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I haven't scratch tested either myself, but the word 'only' seems to come up a lot in articles about the fortified glass in the Nexus. I don't know if it's the same glass as in the older Nexus but I've seen some awful scratch marks on that model.

OP no contest.

S2 all the way.
    Reasons:
    1. Nexus is stupidly big
    5. Nexus comes with vanilla android which is cack and lacks good features that touchwhiz has
    579. S2 gets ICS early next year.
    42. S2 has better GPU
    5. Nexus is stupidly expensive

Are you drunk? have you ever used ICS? The majority of Touchwiz is horriffic!
    And once again. Drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sports_

Tomorrow I am finally upgrading my constantly rebooting Desire. I was torn between the Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus but now I have more or less decided on the on the S2. I know the Galaxy Nexus has a much better (higher pixelated) display and of course Ice Cream Sandwich but the display isn't that important to me. The S2 has a faster processor, better camera, will be getting ICS in 2012 (that will happen, right?) ..

If you have and experience of either or both I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I was reluctant to go for the S2 as it is the bones of a year old and must be about to be knocked off its pedistal. It seems the Galaxy Nexus hasn't done it though and my Desire has forced me to move now rather than wait til the new year..

thanks in advance
    the nexus is a super phone u shud defo get it

Advertisement