Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you have more or less respect for the Irish people before discovering Boards.ie?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just reading some threads here, about the Government, Europe, ranting about anything and everything without even knowing or understand the full stories.

I had way more respect for the Irish race before discovering Boards, I thought we were smarter tbh. What about you?

Duuuuhhh.... Duuuuhhh

*drools on keyboard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Irish people as a whole are the best. I have been here 11 years by choice. I just wish some would stand up for themselves more - especially in the workplace. It astounds me the amount of sh*t Irish people put up with instead of standing up for themselves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

Irish people as a whole are the best. I have been here 11 years by choice. I just wish some would stand up for themselves more - especially in the workplace. It astounds me the amount of sh*t Irish people put up with instead of standing up for themselves :)

Guerilla warfare is our forte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There are horrible idiots in every population OP (see yesterday's thread on single mothers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Just reading some threads here, about the Government, Europe, ranting about anything and everything without even knowing or understand the full stories.

I had way more respect for the Irish race before discovering Boards, I thought we were smarter tbh. What about you?

Maybe if you understood the subject matter you might not be so condescending. :pac:

Plus we Irish are not a race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Which is interesting because as soon as some do they are seen as been rebelious ,getting above themselfs and going against the grain or the ' Norm ' which as if it hasn't been said enough on boards already , has as much to do with catholic church influence and repression ( or just plain fear ) which can strangle any hope of change but I do agree that overall ,Irish people as whole are the best .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Latchy wrote: »
    Which is interesting because as soon as some do they are seen as been rebelious ,getting above themselfs and going against the grain or the ' Norm ' which as if it hasn't been said enough on boards already , has as much to do with catholic church influence and repression ( or just plain fear ) which can strangle any hope of change but I do agree that overall ,Irish people as whole are the best .

Yes, totally. I got totally f*cked over by a 'regional manager' in Ireland. After being offered a full-time job and moving to a new city (she then saw my credentials) and decided the job was now only part-time. F*ck that.

I went to the head of the entire company in the UK and explained my situation and that I refused to accept it. I got my full-time position, she was taken down a good few pegs and several years later was finally fired for bullying after enough my Irish colleagues said enough is enough and got the head honchos email address and took action. She really was/is a tool :D

Better late than never ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't use this place as a snapshot for Irish society.

As of July 2010, the site has 365,000 registered accounts, more than 1,300,000 threads and more than 20 million posts. A wide variety of topics from music to politics are discussed, mostly from (but not limited to) an Irish perspective.

Thats a big snapshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

realies wrote: »
    As of July 2010, the site has 365,000 registered accounts, more than 1,300,000 threads and more than 20 million posts. A wide variety of topics from music to politics are discussed, mostly from (but not limited to) an Irish perspective.

Thats a big snapshot.

Snapshot ? more a tome of epic proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Tbh I see a lot of stuff here which makes me proud to be Irish. In very general terms -- the sense of humour, the open mindedness, the political cynicism. It really defines us, I think, and it's what I miss the most when I'm abroad. Just the complete lack of bullsit. Yeah, we have some weirdos here, but they seem to be in the minority and the fact that they're routinely laughed at just proves that their opinions just aren't acceptable in modern day Ireland. Just recently I watched a thread unravel and sat back and smiled, simply because my people were doing me very proud and their unwillingness to put up with insincere BS was heartwarming. It's like.... hmmm ... the anti-Fox news, or something of the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Siuin wrote: »
    . Yeah, we have some weirdos here, but they seem to be in the minority and the fact that they're routinely laughed at just proves that their opinions just aren't acceptable in modern day Ireland.
    They are the ones who's post's stick out more then others , like it's still 1966 or something and some of those posters would see themselfs as being ' in tune' and reprersenting mainstream opinion when the reality couldn't be more different .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Boards does not affect how I see the people of Ireland, or people in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

realies wrote: »

Thats a big snapshot.

How many of those accounts are duplicates(user changes isp and re-regs) and fakes? I seriously wouldn't say that there are 365,000 unique users who regged on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Latchy wrote: »
    They are the ones who's post's stick out more then others , like it's still 1966 or something and some of those posters would see themselfs as being ' in tune' and reprersenting mainstream opinion when the reality couldn't be more different .

True, but I do think that the bigoted and narrow minded are in the minority

Advertisement