Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you have more or less respect for the Irish people before discovering Boards.ie?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Just reading some threads here, about the Government, Europe, ranting about anything and everything without even knowing or understand the full stories.

I had way more respect for the Irish race before discovering Boards, I thought we were smarter tbh. What about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I don't respect threads that don't respect boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Respect THIS!!

*grabs crotch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Just reading some threads here, about the Government, Europe, ranting about anything and everything without even knowing or understand the full stories.

I had way more respect for the Irish race before discovering Boards, I thought we were smarter tbh. What about you?

I wouldn't use this place as a snapshot for Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

*remembers what happened over the last 5 plus years*

no seems about right

in answer to your question...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Generalised comment is generalised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

Less

I mean now I have Less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ranting about anything and everything without even knowing or understand the full stories.

+
    I had way more respect for the Irish race before discovering Boards, I thought we were smarter tbh.

=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I don't think we're as happy go lucky as I used to think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

I think u should get out more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Considering it should boards.dub and not boards.ie I think by reading boards you get a good insight into the typical Dublin mindset considering about 80% of people here are Dublin based and as such do not represent Ireland or what true Irish country people think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Reading threads in AH's has made me way smarter than I was, or smart ass:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i didnt know there were so many funny people in ireland until i came to boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

Seachmall wrote: »
    Respect THIS!!

*grabs crotch*

You can grab mine and I'll squirt in his face - that should give him something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yes, I more or less had respect for the Irish people.

Next question please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Don't know. Probably a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Don't judge the whole of Ireland by the cranks (except me) who waste their time posting rubbish here.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't believe that boardsies are representative of the Irish popukation at large. This is regularly demonstrated by disparities between boards.ie polls and polls carried out by researching the opinions and intentions of people in real life.

It may be that boards.ie has a very narrow user base, or that users adapt a different opinion on the net to the opinion they tend to adapt when out in the real world.

For these reasons, I don't allow my perception of boards users to colour my perception of Irish people generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

you are reading threads in After Hours, you are hardly going to have more respect for people while reading their After Hour threads, you need to go somewhere else..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think we're a bit a head of the curve here on boards. We have some great discussions and my only gripe is that I like to see us given a bit more power, particularly here in AH.
    Reforming of AH and boards is what I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

a lot of these forums are just full of nerds with chips on their soldiers or opinionated people. its no reflection on a general population so no need to really think any less or more of an entire nation. it says more about the demographic of boards users and their mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I have less respect for a certain coterie of Irish society since I discovered boards, but then I wouldn't have had much respect for them to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not sure. Only really went on boards 'cause I were bored but seemed to have stayed on longer than I imagined! I knew about it but never went on it or looked at it till I actually joined out of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I met my wife in boards , so as far as respect goes ......no, sex however..no as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mattjack wrote: »
    I met my wife in boards , so as far as respect goes ......no, sex however..no as well..

another lie Mattjack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

a lot of these forums are just full of nerds with chips on their soldiers or opinionated people. its no reflection on a general population so no need to really think any less or more of an entire nation. it says more about the demographic of boards users and their mentality.

Yea, I was just about to say people seem to like to disagree for the sake of it, or jump down your throat for no reason, but it's likely to only be opinionated and/or contrary types that would do that anyway. It's probably not representative or Irish people in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

There's a fundamental difference between cyber life and real life.

I agree, some threads are woeful - today is particularly bad.

Hope you were able to get that stuff out of your eye-lids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I've found boards to be a fair reflection of folks I meet, a mix of jesting, begrudging, smart arses, smugness, but in any crowd of people there are always some good folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

later10 wrote: »

I don't allow my perception of boards users to colour my perception of Irish people generally.
    This would be my take on it to .The perception of how Irish people come across on boards may be quite different to what's going on in their real lifes and at the ' end of the day ' ( excuse the cliche ) it's a bunch of people posting on a site of whom over a period , we will interact with and respect opinions of , some more than others which is pretty much how it is IRL anyway . You can make some good friends on here to of course .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

To quote you guys

'Ah sure your a great bunch of lads'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I lose respect for others who rant about more others before bothering to accept that just sometimes they do know what the hell they are talking about and/or what their situation is!

Advertisement