Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An example for us all: Victim treats his mugger right

Options
  • 07-12-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

http://www.npr.org/2008/03/28/89164759/a-victim-treats-his-mugger-right
    Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.

But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.

"He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, 'Here you go,'" Diaz says.

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, "like what's going on here?" Diaz says. "He asked me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Diaz replied: "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me ... hey, you're more than welcome.

"You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help," Diaz says.

Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth.

"The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi," Diaz says. "The kid was like, 'You know everybody here. Do you own this place?'"

"No, I just eat here a lot," Diaz says he told the teen. "He says, 'But you're even nice to the dishwasher.'"

Diaz replied, "Well, haven't you been taught you should be nice to everybody?"

"Yea, but I didn't think people actually behaved that way," the teen said.

Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. "He just had almost a sad face," Diaz says.

The teen couldn't answer Diaz — or he didn't want to.

When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, "Look, I guess you're going to have to pay for this bill 'cause you have my money and I can't pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I'll gladly treat you."

The teen "didn't even think about it" and returned the wallet, Diaz says. "I gave him $20 ... I figure maybe it'll help him. I don't know."

Diaz says he asked for something in return — the teen's knife — "and he gave it to me."

Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, "You're the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch."

"I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It's as simple as it gets in this complicated world."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

It's true,vomit does look like diced carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Treat 'em right... treat your mugger right!

Story seems schmaltzy and ridiculous tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Moron. After the knife confrontation and "as the teen began to walk away..." he should have just let the kid go and not said anything. Too much of a risk to get an aul stabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

treating a teen for a meal?

hmmmmmmm

although it does sound like a hallmark TV movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I read this recently, can't remember where though.

It was really nice of him to do obviously theres a reason for people to turn to crime but even if they've had a hard time in they're life you can't help but hate someone who tries to rob you.

I'm not even going to pretend I wish I could be as understanding and concerning as this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Something to keep in mind the next time you are confronted by a junkie on Sheriff St. Just give him your wallet and then take off your coat to shield him from the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Something to keep in mind the next time you are confronted by a junkie on Sheriff St. Just give him your wallet and then take off your coat to shield him from the weather.

Hmmmmmmm................

Nah
    /dropkick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was actually thinking about this last night, essentially this exact thing. Random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Definitely a paedo. One that missed an opportunity too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This sounds like the gayest, cheesiest pile of crap some failed journalist might churn out on a ****ing livejournal as a desperate cry for attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

That teenager was just the wallet inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Aw. I'm away into Dubalin town now to hug the next hoodie I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hmm on sunday evening in Kilkenny at about 5.30 a silly old shop attendant got himself stabbed a little bit and ended up in hospital by another such happy-go-lucky scamp as the one in this story.

He really should have handled the situation like the guy in the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if someone tries to rape you just give them a handjob and a pair of your underwear, they're probably just going through a bit of a dry spell and would appreciate the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

"Youth found dead in Bronx: Police Seek hispanic man in connection with poisoning"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There is more than one right way of treating a mugger right:;););)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070480/Mugger-Anthony-Miranda-picks-wrong-victim-taking-ultimate-fighter--losing.html

Unfortunately, not all would-be victims targeted by muggers are as well placed to give them their just desserts as the good Justin in this story.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Was waiting for the part where he wrestled the robber to the ground etc.
    Disappointed :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    There is more than one right way of treating a mugger right:;););)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070480/Mugger-Anthony-Miranda-picks-wrong-victim-taking-ultimate-fighter--losing.html

Unfortunately, not all would-be victims targeted by muggers are as well placed to give them their just desserts as the good Justin in this story.:)

I was looking for that story earlier, funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Not that we agree with anything written in The Daily Mail of course harummph harrumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I don't believe this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Corvo

Soon as he offered him the jacket and the kid got a bit of a shock I would taken my oppotuinity to karate chop him in the neck before introducing him to a piston-like kick to the goolies. Then put him on the subway track. Hiiiiiiiiiiii-yah!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Eurgh, this sounds like a godawful Hollywood, oscar-seeking cheesy-puff movie.

If I gave my jacket to a scummer the doirty bastard would go: "Cheers for da jackeh, you faggeh!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Corvo

Duggy747 wrote: »

If I gave my jacket to a scummer the doirty bastard would go: "Cheers for da jackeh, you faggeh!!"

He'd probably think its his birthday and Christmas at once and take the khaks off ya too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Duggy747 wrote: »

Great post, cracks me up no end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What would Jules from Pulp Fiction do?

"Which wallet is yours"
    "It's the one with bad mothaf*cker on it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

"March 28, 2008"

Teenager is a man now. probably in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Is this a facebook copy and paste type thing

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

So Diaz calls him back, not to reason with him, but to try and equip him better for his night of mugging like some modern day Fagin.

"Now my coat will keep you warm when you're waiting to rob people at knifepoint and you know what maybe use some of my money to pick up a spray can of oven cleaner. It makes for a cheap and cheerful pepper spray and it's caustic enough that it'll burn any exposed skin not just the eyes. Oh and this train platform is awfully exposed. Maybe you should lurk down there in that alley. Here take my phone and order a pizza and when the driver turns up rob him too. He won't be expecting it and you'll get a nice hot meal."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I get these kind of tales everyday into my email box from a devout christian uncle.

They always seem like someone thinks up a message they want to send, and works a story around it.

I'll dig a couple out of my junk folder later for your perusal ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,122 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

WindSock wrote: »
    Aw. I'm away into Dubalin town now to hug the next hoodie I see.

Hope its Mr Diaz in the rain.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement