Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguing with ignorant people

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Jul3s wrote: »
    Arguing with ignorant people is abit like......................
    Arguing with Cork people

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Leftist wrote: »
    This place has thousands of these tabloid, chinese whisper educated types who think anything that isn't republican and catholic is wrong. if you try to reason with them they start picking out the most irrelevant point of your post as if they were some intellectual sage. If you were to go off AH you'd think irish people really do deserve their stereotype.

I kinda disagree. I don't think I've met anyone under the age of 30 in this country (and certainly no one on boards.ie) that is this way or any way heavy right. And conceit seems to be getting ironed out of the Irish way of thought.

If fact it's ignorance in left wing folk I find appallingly stupid; much more then someone who is 'set in his ways'. Case in point 'Occupy Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

A friend of mine nearly got into a fist fight a few weeks back over such an argument.

Big F1 fan, he met a guy in the pub who claimed Mario "Jonathan" Andretti is the greatest driver in the history of the sport, and no matter what my friend said against it (a very structured and well informed argument I was told - was far to hammered myself to remember but I take his word for it.. it was full of fancy city-folk words like "downforce"), the guy just shouted "ANDRETTI'S CAR WAS FASTER!"

Bouncer nearly had to pull them apart, and I've been hearing (not really listening to) his ranting about it since.

Finest example of trolling IRL I've ever seen, whether intentional or not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

man once tried to convince me that Guinness did, in fact, settle downwards. So why is the head at the top of the glass i ask him... apparently nitrogen gas in Guinness is heavier than carbon dioxide in other beers so it settles downwards. Being a chemistry student I called him out as CO2 is much heavier than N2. then he tried to quote Reddit as a scientific source...

i never held any sort of snobbery against people who went to ITs before meeting this man...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I kinda disagree. I don't think I've met anyone under the age of 30 in this country (and certainly no one on boards.ie) that is this way or any way heavy right. And conceit seems to be getting ironed out of the Irish way of thought.

If fact it's ignorance in left wing folk I find appallingly stupid; much more then someone who is 'set in his ways'. Case in point 'Occupy Ireland'.

yep, occupy ireland represents left wing.

That statement kind of makes you come off worse than anyone else tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Most people on here aren't open to discussion/argument. Everyone wants to argue their point,and will not have their view changed or questioned. It seems to get personal when they can't come up with anything to back up their argument.

If I get into a discussion about something i'm nearly always open to having my view changed.otherwise what's the point? It's about hearing the sound of your own voice then.

I give up arguing with people when it's obvious they're not open to real discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't be arsed arguing with others tbh, especially if it comes to sport. Find it deeply annoying when two guys argue in the pub over football when both support different teams, you know neither will give in and round and round it goes in circles :rolleyes:

Me and my mates often have differences of opinions but it never, ever descends into arguments cos lets face it, opinions are like arseholes....we all have one but it's not always best to air them in public!

Not everyone thinks the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Would that mean that it is better to know something about nothing than nothing about something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm a student of history and I'd consider it one of the area's I'm most knowledgeable in.

I often find people who have a terrible knowledge of Irish history making ridiculous claims about the past, or refusing to believe facts which don't fit into their worldview. I have severe trouble getting people to believe that the Pope celebrated the Protestant victory at the Battle of the Boyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TinfoilTinman

I'm a student of history and I'd consider it one of the area's I'm most knowledgeable in.

I often find people who have a terrible knowledge of Irish history making ridiculous claims about the past, or refusing to believe facts which don't fit into their worldview. I have severe trouble getting people to believe that the Pope celebrated the Protestant victory at the Battle of the Boyne.

I didn't know that! Then again, my knowledge of history is very poor such that i'm prone to accepting most claims that don't involve conspiracy theories.

Luckily, I forget all claims made so I don't end up spouting nonsense history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I know what I know and normally keep my opinion to myself. Only rarely do I come out of the woodwork when called for, like an idiot friend I had on Facebook who kept spreading terrible anti-everything propaganda and jumped on every bandwagon imaginable like the capitalist conspiracy of computers and flat-screens TV's & monitors despite her having the same knowledge of IT as a granny's weakened knee.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...........or drive you to murder.

I have a facebook friemd that keeps posting this kind of crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqYfYSRZZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJKd4jD1JDE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ9Uu9O5o8&feature=related

Apparently Beyonce is a satan worshipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

foxyboxer wrote: »
    People who think the Moon landings were faked because they saw some photographs on the internet without stars and stuff :rolleyes:

It's like a bull and a red flag to me.

The thing about Conspiracy Theorists (TM) is that they tend to be completely immune to rational debate. You can come up with all the evidence in the world, demolish their crazy, non-nonsensical arguments and they'll just go off muttering that you're a 'sheep'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

an old saying that says a lot:

He who thinks he knows something, knows nothing. He who knows he knows nothing, knows something!!
    jester77 wrote: »
    Would that mean that it is better to know something about nothing than nothing about something?

I was told by a wise old man years ago, whilst I was pontificating, that
    I didn't know enough to know that I knew nothing.
    Had to think long and hard about that one. . .

policarp wrote: »
    I was told by a wise old man years ago, whilst I was pontificating, that
    I didn't know enough to know that I knew nothing.
    Had to think long and hard about that one. . .

The beginning of wisdom is admitting you know nothing.

Thankfully I did this a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting you know nothing.

Thankfully I did this a long time ago

This sounds like a total paradox to me!
    You are saying that to be wise, one must accept that they know nothing, yet you are saying that you have already accepted that you know nothing, giving the implication that you are wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I love arguing with ignorant people its why I joined after hours and I really hit the motherload:D

You are saying that to be wise, one must accept that they know nothing, yet you are saying that you have already accepted that you know nothing, giving the implication that you are wise.

You learn quickly, grasshopper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Basically the same as trying to argue with religious people-- you can prove to the world that they're idiots, but try to convince them? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

See also, Simpson's paradox (That of Bart, not Edward the statistician)..."I'll be damned if I do, and I'll be damned if I don't!)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Paulor94

I'm a teenager so i automately know everything. I'M NOT IGNORANT I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Leftist wrote: »
    yep, occupy ireland represents left wing.

That statement kind of makes you come off worse than anyone else tbf.

No need for the ignorance buddy (oh snap!)

I never said they represent the left wing. (If anything I AM left wing). I said they are left wing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I'm so ignorant I didn't even read your post.

I'm well versed in WW2 history, never ever question me about anything about WW2, or I may have to google it and reply with my answer.

I don't listen or give a F**K about anyone else's opinion except my own.

Secretly if I could get away with it I'd kill as many people as possible because "that's just how I feel most of the time"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Spot the irony...

WOw i missed the e at the end. I blame swype. But i wont argue with you.....after all.

The plural is not ignorami but ig·no·ra·mus·es.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I didn't know that! Then again, my knowledge of history is very poor such that i'm prone to accepting most claims that don't involve conspiracy theories.

Luckily, I forget all claims made so I don't end up spouting nonsense history.

Not many people do, Irish schools teach a version of history which reinforces the whole Protestant v Catholic dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

Parsley wrote: »
    man once tried to convince me that Guinness did, in fact, settle downwards. So why is the head at the top of the glass i ask him... apparently nitrogen gas in Guinness is heavier than carbon dioxide in other beers so it settles downwards. Being a chemistry student I called him out as CO2 is much heavier than N2. then he tried to quote Reddit as a scientific source...

i never held any sort of snobbery against people who went to ITs before meeting this man...

You being a chemistry student:pac:, Do you understand the solubility of gases in liquid.

P.S : I secretly hope you are a genuis troll, posting ignorance in a thread
    titled: Arguing with ignorant people. Somehow I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

People don't argue because they are right, they argue because they want to win. In fact, arguing with you increases how much they believe in their argument and thus increases their need to win to prove you wrong, the funny thing is that it happens on your side too, so it's two people trying to win by proving the other wrong but the more they argue the more they want to argue to "win"

There is a lot of truth in this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The New Testament and early church history...Most outlandish claim? Anything to do with the non-canonical gospels. They really should've kept those secret. Some people think they're totally clued into a giant conspiracy because they can half-quote something from the Gospel of Thomas..

Advertisement