Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguing with ignorant people

Options
  • 07-12-2011 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Every so often, you meet a person who lacks information on a particular topic and yet argues vehemently their point. The topic is usually one in which you have extensive knowledge. In the more heated arguements, straw men and ad hominem attacks can arise.

The person is not necessarily stupid (though can be), just mis/uninformed.

Q1: What topics would you consider yourself well-versed in?
    (you need not be an expert or have a profession related to it)

Q2: What is the wildest claim you've heard in relation to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A1: I know absolutely everything about everything.

A2: See answer 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

(you need not be an expert or have a profession related to it)

Anything about sex.

I once heard a man say he lasted a full eight minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A1: I know absolutely everything about everything.

A2: See answer 1.
    Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

hondasam wrote: »
    I once heard a man say he lasted a full eight minutes.

Listen here, If we lasted for hours, then you'd be a pauper, so quit yore bitchin

:D:P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

Arguing with ignorant people is abit like......................
    Arguing with Cork people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

This is too difficult for AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think I have more of a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type knowledge bank.

If someone is being dogmatically stupid with me I just pretend that they are right to bring the conversation/debate to an end as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

Q1: Chemtrails. Only the most stupid and most ignorant would believe that chemtrails exist.

Q2. That chemtrails actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Well thats just your opinion isnt it?

OF FUCKING COURSE ITS MY OPINION YOU THICK LUMP OF SHITE.

I hate that response

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

OP...I'd argue this point with you but...well ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That's ignorant

/Michael Jackson voice

I hate that response

Just reply with 'well spotted' and they stop pointing out the obvious. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I think I have more of a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type knowledge bank.

If someone is being dogmatically stupid with me I just pretend that they are right to bring the conversation/debate to an end as quickly as possible.

Jesus Christ this. I can't stand arguing with irrational people, if they are that hell bent on not listening to reasonable arguments leave them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

this is really just a subtle continuation of the abiogenesis/intelligent design discussion over in the unpopular opinion thread where a couple of people spent a day trying to convince each other their super powers were better than the other, isn't it?

They're all lovely super powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Please merge with Atheism thread to allow access of ignoramus's>>>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cursai wrote: »
    Please merge with Atheism thread to allow access of ignoramus's>>>

Spot the irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I guess aspergers and adhd would be what I know the most about.

The usual crap that makes my blood boil are statements like "these disorders didn't exist when I was young", or "adhd is just a made up term for boldness", "it's the parents fault", "all he/she needs is some manners put on them", "they grow out of it" and so on.

Oh and also depression - "Just snap yourself out of it". Aaaaggghhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

You think I know F*** nothing. . .

I know F*** ALL. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

People don't argue because they are right, they argue because they want to win. In fact, arguing with you increases how much they believe in their argument and thus increases their need to win to prove you wrong, the funny thing is that it happens on your side too, so it's two people trying to win by proving the other wrong but the more they argue the more they want to argue to "win"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I know fcuk-all about anything, but with a few pints in me, i'll argue anything with anyone, i especially enjoy when both of us are arguing for the same side, but are too drunk to realise it.

• Advertisement

People don't argue because they are right, they argue because they want to win. In fact, arguing with you increases how much they believe in their argument and thus increases their need to win to prove you wrong, the funny thing is that it happens on your side too, so it's two people trying to win by proving the other wrong but the more they argue the more they want to argue to "win"

I'm afraid that is completely wrong..
    trollface.pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

...reminds me of a short story by Irvine Welsh, something like 'magic vs unknown scince' or 'the two professers' or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I hate that response

Are you sure they are not just taking advantage of your Big Lebowski ignorance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I find that arguments tend to arise from people not realising I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

an old saying that says a lot:

He who thinks he knows something, knows nothing. He who knows he knows nothing, knows something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know what I know and normally keep my opinion to myself. Only rarely do I come out of the woodwork when called for, like an idiot friend I had on Facebook who kept spreading terrible anti-everything propaganda and jumped on every bandwagon imaginable like the capitalist conspiracy of computers and flat-screens TV's & monitors despite her having the same knowledge of IT as a granny's weakened knee.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...........or drive you to murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

People who think the Moon landings were faked because they saw some photographs on the internet without stars and stuff :rolleyes:

It's like a bull and a red flag to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Q1 panel eating

Q2 sure that will polish out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I hate that response

I don't think you've picked that phrase up right. That phrase highlights that the person is happy that it is YOUR opinion and one that is not not popular with the masses. It is a well shrouded insult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

This place has thousands of these tabloid, chinese whisper educated types who think anything that isn't republican and catholic is wrong. if you try to reason with them they start picking out the most irrelevant point of your post as if they were some intellectual sage. If you were to go off AH you'd think irish people really do deserve their stereotype.

Advertisement