Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Or maybe not? Winds have picked up lethal here in last 30mins - ALready gotta up to gale force :eek: Was calm as **** 30mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Starting to build up here too, very calm an hour ago, but nothing to worry about, YET!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

rilz wrote: »
    Or maybe not? Winds have picked up lethal here in last 30mins - ALready gotta up to gale force :eek: Was calm as **** 30mins ago.

Winds picking up countrywide now.

05.00 Reports, Belmullet 50kts, Mace 50kts, Valentia 45kts,Roches Point 44kts,Finner 42kts, Dublin Airport 41kts,

Lowest of the observing stations is Oak Park at 29kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Pretty windy here, wind blowing through my drain system & out of the shower plughole... Never had that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will there be damaging gusts today in south dublin??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Very windy here, but not what i was expecting, just seems like a usual blustery day in the west?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

can hear it now, didnt know we were expecting a gale storm today though, doesnt sound much worse than usual, not yet anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Little bit of a downgrade from Met E. Gusts up to 130 kmh (was 140kmh last night) worst along northern coasts. But it will be very windy for sure but not in an extreme sense I think for most of us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

06.00 Reports Belmullet 57kts, Mace head 52kts,Shannon Airport 42kts, Cork Airport 41kts, Dublin Airport 40kts,

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Sounds vile out there. The wind woke me up and I'm in the delightful situation of being wide awake but with 45 mins till I actually have to get up. Snuggled under duvet listening for the gusts - sounds a bit wild alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh god, seriously two classes today and it's like that outside :( i love wind, but not much enjoyment being out in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Good morning from a very windy Donegal. Roar outside already !

07.00 Report Belmullet 62kts, Mace Head 56kts,Finner 52kts,Cork Airport 44kts,Dublin Airport 43kts,

No observing station below 33kts ( Oak Park)

Ok. Very rough out there. Has this baby arrived early or can we expect the peak as forecast around 1300-1400 ? If winds increased continuously during this time we would be in bother.
    Is there a rethink on peak time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok. Very rough out there. Has this baby arrived early or can we expect the peak as forecast around 1300-1400 ? If winds increased continuously during this time we would be in bother.
    Is there a rethink on peak time?

Still on line to get peak gust between 9 -12 am .

Sure is windy enough even here in Dublin!

Say hello to our visitor.
    3d6002ae.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

irish1967 wrote: »
    Say hello to our visitor.
    3d6002ae.jpg
    Very stormy here in Co.Donegal but so far not unusually so for a typical December set-up,one or two severe gusts. I think this storm wont be as bad as feared and will affect scotland more than us as it has taken a more northerly path. Monday could be a different story. The charts show a very low storm depression passing much closer to our northern shore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Very wild here at the moment, its a wheeley bin massacre outside. Rain driving against the back of the house.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

About the timing, for Mayo and Donegal there will probably be peaks around 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. but could see very strong squalls in second round of storm this afternoon as energy wraps around the centre. For east Ulster the worst will come this afternoon and evening. Further south, the peak winds may come at any time depending on how squalls develop, but would expect a general trend for strongest gusts to be 10-11h west and 13-14h east. It won't be a very regular progression due to the hit or miss nature of convection. I think the peak gust will be 68-72 knots with this one, as mentioned Monday night into Tuesday potentially worse and country-wide.

I still think the squalls and wintry precip may actually become the main story later today.

0800 reports Belmullet 67knts gust. Mace and Malin tied for 2nd with 60knts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Latest observation west coast Scotland ...
    7.8 °C
    Wind SW 49mph
    Gust 72mph
    Vis. 1.3 km
    972 hPa, Falling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

peak gust here in Arklow at 430am was 69kmph
    Considerably calmer now at around 10 to 15kmph wsw

In other words nothing to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just dragged a 8 foot facia board from under my car (donegal town, diamond) lucky it didnt hit it directly (or anyone for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Rediculously windy here in Greystones earlier, reminded me of when I lived in Galway years ago...real storm country;) now not too bad just moderate gusts and heavy shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

78 knots in Malin (144kph)

(thats what i have for the comp. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sorry but I couldn't resist, might be more appropriate next week.

Malin head highest gust so far @ 78kts, mean of 48.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

You think today is windy? Get a load of this....

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

OK deep FI and unlikely to materialise - we hope. We're in a very mobile zonal pattern at present. The 'conveyor belt' of deep depressions looks like continuing maybe up to Christmas or near enough to it...

John mac wrote: »

Darn! you beat me to it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

John mac wrote: »

Come on Belmullet, you can beat this! :D

Edit: Meant to say here in Sligo it seems to have calmed down since earlier this morning. Still quite gusty though.

Advertisement