Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Difference between Golf GT TDI and standard TDI

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Excuse my ignorance but Im wondering is there any real difference between the Mk5 Golf 1.9 GT TDI and the standard Mk5 1.9 TDI, or is there any? I have a Mk5 1.9 GT TDI or at least it has a "GT Sport" badge on the front, and lowered suspension, however unlike most Mk5 GT sports it only has a 5 speed gearbox and 105bhp? BTW the log book says GT without the sport bit

The main reason I ask is for insurance purposes. I could be wrong but I feel when i get my premium, because of the lower suspension and GT badge/grill im getting classed with the other high premium higher spec'd engine GT Sports? :confused:

Car is 07 Reg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

On the later Mk5s GT sport is just a trim level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Were the mk5 gt tdi not the 2liter 140/170bhp? A mate of mine has a uk imported 1.9 sport but it has a 6speed box

Edit. Whats on the data sticker in the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

how do i know if I have a "later" or earlier Mk5?

My question exactly. should I therefore just be getting insured on a standard 1.9TDI

sean1141 wrote: »
    Were the mk5 gt tdi not the 2liter 140/170bhp? A mate of mine has a uk imported 1.9 sport but it has a 6speed box

Edit. Whats on the data sticker in the boot?
    Do you mean rear badge? Rear badge just says TDI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

McVitae wrote: »
    how do i know if I have a "later" or earlier Mk5?
    what year is it? They came out in 04.

What is on the data sticker in the boot?

Edit. Lift the carpet in the boot. There will be a white sticker in there around the spare wheel. This is the factory data sticker. This will tell you what vw made the car as. Insure it as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On the later Mk5s GT sport is just a trim level.

Hogwash!

Golf GTs have twin turbos which makes them far more powerful than the equivalent model with the same c.c. engine which is not a GT.

The basic 1.4 petrol Mk V Golf was 75 bhp but the petrol GTs with the same engine (1,396 c.c) were available with 140 and 170 bhp variations.

The 'Sportline' trim package was merged with the GT in mid-2007, so all GTs became 'GT Sport' but it is far more than a trim spec. and you do need to tell the insurance company that it is a GT.

sean1141 wrote: »
    what year is it? They came out in 04.

What is on the data sticker in the boot?

Edit. Lift the carpet in the boot. There will be a white sticker in there around the spare wheel. This is the factory data sticker. This will tell you what vw made the car as. Insure it as that!
    I assume by data sticker you mean something like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/data%20sticker%20in%20the%20boot/getradbill/N01-10166.png

I have something like this in my log book and it says 1.9 TDI GT
    The car is 07 Reg

coylemj wrote: »
    Hogwash!

Golf GTs have twin turbos which makes them far more powerful than the equivalent model with the same c.c. engine which is not a GT.

The basic 1.4 petrol Mk V Golf was 75 bhp but the petrol GTs with the same engine (1,396 c.c) were available with 140 and 170 bhp variations.

The 'Sportline' trim package was merged with the GT in mid-2007, so all GTs became 'GT Sport' but it is far more than a trim spec. and you do need to tell the insurance company that it is a GT.
    please excuse my ignorance but but when you refer to "power" are you just referring to horsepower? My car is 105bhp which is considerably less than the 140/150bhp of the of the 2.0 GT sports. To put it another way: Hypothetically could there be a 105bhp GT engine with twin turbo and a different 105bhp without twin turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hogwash!

Someone needs to read the opening post properly methinks...

We are talking about Diesel golfs not petrol ones....and even at that, the petrol GT golf doesn't have twin turbo's, its twin charged...i.e 1 x supercharger and 1 x turbo.

• Advertisement

Hogwash!

It is not hogwash. I happen to know what I am talking about.

Early Mk5s came in GT spec in 1.4 petrol twincharged (turbo and supercharged not twin turbo as you suggest) and 2.0 diesel with 170bhp (and just the one turbo)

As well as that there was a rebadging exercise in the UK of 2.0 TDI Sportline models into "GT-TDI" models but that is neither here nor there.

Later Mk5s (from mid 2007 as you say) dropped the Sportline trim level in favour of the GT Sport trim level. These GT Sports were available with all engines, hence it was possible to buy a 1.9 TDI GT Sport with 105bhp or even a 1.4 petrol GT Sport with 80bhp. Now as far as I am concerned this means "GT Sport" in the later Mk5 Golfs was just a trim level, as per my first post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What are the GTD's? I've seena few floating around, I suppose thats the hot hatch diesel. Its got the same trim and alloys as the GTI.

That is the Mk6 Golf, similar trim etc to a GTI just diesel. They are a lovely car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

That is the Mk6 Golf, similar trim etc to a GTI just diesel. They are a lovely car IMO.
    I've seen a few mk5's but were they fakes?

There was no Mk5 GTD that I am aware of. The closest thing would have been the GT diesel with the 170bhp TDI engine. This was a proper GT, more than a trim level and not to be confused with the "GT Sport" trim level of the later Mk5s ;)

Ive attached the two stickers that I can find in the car. one is in the boot and the other in the log book

OP your car is a GT Sport 1.9 TDI. The insurance company should have all the info from the reg number. They will know it isn't the 2.0 TDI with 170bhp so you shouldn't be paying higher insurance than necessary. The insurance on a GT Sport model is probably slightly more than a base model but that is nothing unusual. It would be the same for the likes of an M Sport BMW vs a standard one for example even though they might both have the same engine.

It is worth paying the extra anyway in my opinion because the GT Sport is a very nicely specced car.

OP your car is a GT Sport 1.9 TDI. The insurance company should have all the info from the reg number. They will know it isn't the 2.0 TDI with 170bhp so you shouldn't be paying higher insurance than necessary. The insurance on a GT Sport model is probably slightly more than a base model but that is nothing unusual. It would be the same for the likes of an M Sport BMW vs a standard one for example even though they might both have the same engine.

It is worth paying the extra anyway in my opinion because the GT Sport is a very nicely specced car.
    Thanks George. on the "nicely specced" part of your comment... based on your previous post though dont I just have a bog standard 1.9 TDI engine and what is making it nicely specced is the is the low trimline, big alloys and a cool looking grill on the front. ok I know the lowered suspension gives me better road hold but if I was to say drag race a standard 1.9 TDI (not that Id ever do that kind of thing) wouldnt I find they were identical in terms of power, acceleration and top speed in a straight line. Hence I feel a bit miffed with the high premium. What you think?

Standard engine and drivetrain yes. But you have the GT grille and external trim pack, lower and stiffer suspension, nicer wheels, better seats and a nicer steering wheel which make the car a much nicer ownership proposition in my opinion. From the insurance company's point of view it probably makes it slightly higher risk. Have you checked to see exactly how much extra you are paying? It is probably a very small amount.

Standard engine and drivetrain yes. But you have the GT grille and external trim pack, lower and stiffer suspension, nicer wheels, better seats and a nicer steering wheel which make the car a much nicer ownership proposition in my opinion. From the insurance company's point of view it probably makes it slightly higher risk. Have you checked to see exactly how much extra you are paying? It is probably a very small amount.
    Ill check that. I have to go get a new quote. I was with Quinn but I think I can go cheaper. Cheers for you help ;)

• Advertisement

It is not hogwash. I happen to know what I am talking about.

Early Mk5s came in GT spec in 1.4 petrol twincharged (turbo and supercharged not twin turbo as you suggest) and 2.0 diesel with 170bhp (and just the one turbo)

As well as that there was a rebadging exercise in the UK of 2.0 TDI Sportline models into "GT-TDI" models but that is neither here nor there.

Later Mk5s (from mid 2007 as you say) dropped the Sportline trim level in favour of the GT Sport trim level. These GT Sports were available with all engines, hence it was possible to buy a 1.9 TDI GT Sport with 105bhp or even a 1.4 petrol GT Sport with 80bhp. Now as far as I am concerned this means "GT Sport" in the later Mk5 Golfs was just a trim level, as per my first post in this thread.

My apologies, you are correct. What I said applies to before I bought a Mk V Golf GT 170 PS in Sept 2007. When they merged the 'Sportline' trim into the GT they also changed the engine options and afterwards (especially on the diesels) the GT badge didn't mean much more than a trim spec unless it was the 140 or 170 petrol models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

McVitae wrote: »
    Thanks George. on the "nicely specced" part of your comment... based on your previous post though dont I just have a bog standard 1.9 TDI engine and what is making it nicely specced is the is the low trimline, big alloys and a cool looking grill on the front. ok I know the lowered suspension gives me better road hold but if I was to say drag race a standard 1.9 TDI (not that Id ever do that kind of thing) wouldnt I find they were identical in terms of power, acceleration and top speed in a straight line. Hence I feel a bit miffed with the high premium. What you think?

At sportline you should also have an armrest to go with the lowered suspension, nicer wheels and the grille in front. I would doubt that the fact that the car is sportline as opposed to comfortline would impact on your premium in any way.

EDIT:

And to add to this, there isnt a GT TDI as such for this model, the badge at the back is always 2.0 TDI for the 140 or 170 brake diesel ones, the way you can tell the 140 from the 170 is that the 170 one has a twing exhaust like the GTI whereas the 140 on has a regular rear bumper with the exhaust hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Armrest isn't standard on any MK5 diesel spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

EPM wrote: »

Really? maybe its an option most people choose at this level but I cant recall seeing a sportsline (GT Sport) without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Had a lovely 08 2.0TDi DSG GT Sport back a couple of months ago. Would have considered it myself if it wasn't missing the armrest (and was running like a bag of spanners when I nipped to the shop in it).

VW 1 wrote: »
    Really? maybe its an option most people choose at this level but I cant recall seeing a sportsline (GT Sport) without one.

I was driving one without it yesterday:)

The first sticker OP shows the equipment in the car. There are vag equipment code decoders online that will tell you what they mean. There's also mobile apps for it too.

Armrest wasn't included in the Sportline package and was an extra in the GT model though for some reason it was bundled with the SatNav package, I had to pay for it in my GT Sport.

I've seen 170 GT's without sat nav but with an armrest.

• Advertisement

I've seen 170 GT's without sat nav but with an armrest.

I may have implied that the only way to get the armrest was to buy SatNav, let me clarify.....

The armrest was bundled with SatNav but if you didn't want SatNav you could buy the armrest (€139 in 2007) as a separate item.

Advertisement