Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 15.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dafee

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Really didn't like how Cruz handled the situation after Tickle had lost. Sure, Tickle had been frustrating him and yeah he didn't listen to his corner..... but surely Cruz didn't need to kick him while he was down?

And even though I'm sure the added benefit of mind games were a reason too, I liked how Faber made a point to tell him he did a good job

I don't think mind games had anything to do with it. I think Faber jumped at the opportunity to try to look like the "good guy" in front of the cameras - and in fact made it look painfully obvious he was doing so. You really think if the cameras weren't there that he would have bothered saying anything?

On the Tickle thing: I think some people need different treatment in different situations in order to get the right reaction. For example we always see the same corner men acting totally differently towards different fighters between rounds. Some need to be calmed down regardless and some need to be woken up and shouted at and slapped regardless.

In my opinion, I think Tickle is the type to make excuses and say this and that wasn't fair after a fight and blame everything else but himself. Maybe he needed that to ensure he wouldn't react like that? Maybe talking to him like that made him feel so awful that he will associate that feeling with losing and never ever want to feel it again? We don't know these guys even one hundredth as personally as the coaches do

Maybe Cruz was wrong in how he treated him and perhaps it won't work but I think he's by far the most qualified to make that assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

.......... maybe

Although maybe not.

I still don't think Cruz reacted the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When I first watched it I did think Cruz went a bit over the top. Losing the rag like that straight after the fight was probably the wrong thing to do. He should've waited till a bit later imo.
    But at the same time it must be extremely frustrating for Cruz to see a guy with a lot of potential but not using the best of his ability. I can see why he got pissed off.
    As for Faber congratulating Tickle, it was nice to see but I'm not sure how genuine it was.

Dean09 wrote: »
    When I first watched it I did think Cruz went a bit over the top. Losing the rag like that straight after the fight was probably the wrong thing to do. He should've waited till a bit later imo.
    But at the same time it must be extremely frustrating for Cruz to see a guy with a lot of potential but not using the best of his ability. I can see why he got pissed off.
    As for Faber congratulating Tickle, it was nice to see but I'm not sure how genuine it was.

I'm sure every coach gets frustrated and we've seen many times on TUF where fighters haven't listened and coaches have let it lie until the post-fight emotions are gona and then brought it up in training.

But I guess each coach has a different style!

As far as Faber goes, i think he comes across like a nice guy and, as I alreayd said, although praising Tickle might not have been the main motivation for doing what he was doing, i'd still say it was genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

To me Cruz comes across like he's taking any losses very personally. And not in a he feels for his guys and wants whats best for them kinda way, more like he hates in any way being associated with losing.
    I'm not saying he doesn't care about his guys, he's shown a few times that he wants to help them out.
    But he seems to me like he's got more emphasis on Dominick Cruz winning the competition than on his guys winning it, if that makes sense to anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Is that not the idea of the show though? Like it is a competition, he's not doing it out of the goodness of his heart. And if he wants to win that badly then that'll have a knockdown effect on his guys.

I was always a Faber fan and disliked Cruz before this, but the show has kinda flipped that for me. I like Cruz's take no BS style and the logic he puts into his stuff. A lot of coaches are of the mindset that "We need to win cus winning rules! This is your dream! We're a team! Grrrrr!" which are just TUF buzzwords at this stage. Cruz has a clear methodology to all of his actions and seems to be instilling a lot of core valuable principles into his guys that'll benefit them long-term. It's shown me why he's a true champion, whereas I was unconvinced before.

Really good fight this week. I had it going to a 3rd rd. I would've loved to see another round in that fight.
    The standard of fights this season is much better than the Brazilian tuf. And no irritating product placement either!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

yeah great fight, think Sam would have won easily if he just kept punching when he had him against the cage rather than getting caught up in clinches and rushing in. Think Rio will win next week making it 4 - 4, good auld season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did the Team Faber Workout in Cruz' dressing room remind anyone of the "gasoline fight" in Zoolander?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3889944325139005442

Horrible, awful cringe TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

gimmick wrote: »
    Did the Team Faber Workout in Cruz' dressing room remind anyone of the "gasoline fight" in Zoolander?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3889944325139005442

Horrible, awful cringe TV.

It was worse than the volleyball scene in Topgun.

• Advertisement

Danny Castillo's headband made it 10 times more cringe than it should have been.

It was just weird and awkward in the end haha

Great fight last week too but I really don't see how you can't give the 2nd round to Sam. Who cares about a takedown or two that lead to nothing vs repeated power shots straight to the dome

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

I thought the second round could have gone either way tbh, depending on whether you rated Sicilia's knock down or Saunders ground control and taking the back. The rest of the round was real close. Would have been nice to see a third though

Yeah maybe my desire to see a 3rd round made my view biased alright!

Either way they'll both get a shot at the finale, qualified or not

Wonder why they decided not to go for the wildcard this year? Especially with the guys so long in the house it could have kept them motivated for a while longer.

Great fight! So close. I actually thought it was either a 3rd round or going the other way, but i'm glad the result was what it was!

Also, the Team Faber workout, I thought that was hilarious! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Greatest coaches challange ever :D:D:D

I would love to have a go at that coaches challenge!!
    Good performance from ogle this week. I would've had my money on Rio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

lawrence vs Chiesa should be a great fight. very hard to call I think.

lawrence vs Chiesa should be a great fight. very hard to call I think.

I'm calling an upset by Chiesa here. He just seems like the kind of grinding wrestler that may wear down and mentally break Lawrence. He's a great fighter with a bright future but I don't think this is his year.

In other news did anyone see Michael Johnson beat Tony Ferguson on Saturday night? Just goes to show TUF winner can't rest for a minute without guys snapping at the heels.

Dana White just tweeted that Dominick Cruz has blown his ACL!!!

Edit: Confirmed

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Dana White just tweeted that Dominick Cruz has blown his ACL!!!

Edit: Confirmed

Ah ****...
    Stupid physical coaches challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Does that mean a different fighter will step into Cruz place for the rest of the season. Like the Iceman and tito season?

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Does that mean a different fighter will step into Cruz place for the rest of the season. Like the Iceman and tito season?

No I doubt it at this stage although Mike McDonald would be an awesome replacement for the fight, or Renan Barao. They'd need to bring in someone who would bring the ratings up, maybe Florian could cut his left leg off and fight Urijah for the interim belt.
    I hope to god there is an Interim belt btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Great show by Ogle. I doubt that in his wildest dreams he would have thought he would win by submission there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah fair play Ogle, didn't think he had it in him. He was going around like a mascot up till now and all of a sudden he's prepared to die!. Don't think the subtitles for Ogle talk are necessary for the yanks but shur.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Justin Lawrence is an idiot :mad: He had that fight if he'd just stayed on his feet. When he hurt him, all he had to do was throw punches... He didn't listen to Cruz for the whole fight. Must be very frustrating for Cruz to have him blow it like that.
    Fair play to Vick, seems a really decent guy. Think he's gonna keep getting better and better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Chiesa/Lawrence wasn't only fight of the season, it was one of my favourite fights of the year. In the 2nd, when Chiesa dropped then nearly got him in the Kimura a second later...wow. And I didn't believe the finish was happening until the ref called it. I think Lawrence bought into his own hype, but Chiesa deserves all the credit in the world for that performance. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Lawrence was ridiculously stupid. I still can't believe the way he fought that fight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Disappointed with Proctor's performance. Really could have gone a lot further IMO.

Delighted for Chiesa. Hard fought victory. I was sure he was gone and out when Lawrence dropped in late in the 2nd.

• Advertisement

Great two quarter finals. Vick has come on a lot since his first fight where he looked kinda clueless until he landed that knee, learning to use that reach nicely and was moving well between striking on the outside and in the clinch.
    Totally agree that Lawrence threw that fight away. Be surprised if Cruz doesn't lose the head with him a bit as he just ignored his corner's advice completely. Should never have been a third round. Fair play to Chiesa for recovering and finishing though.

Can't wait for the next episode, both fights look good but especially looking forward to Pichel and Saunders. Giving a slight edge to Saunders though.

How do you guys see the other fights playing out?

Advertisement