Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could take back your vote...

Options
  • 05-12-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Who would you have voted for?

A lot of people say they'd never vote FF again and then voted FG or Labour. Now with all the broken promises and stealth taxes they're going to introduce, a lot of supporters want them gone ASAP. So would you go back and change your vote if you could?

Who would you vote for if you could go back? 100 votes

FF
    0% 0 votes
    FG
    16% 16 votes
    SF
    30% 30 votes
    Labour
    33% 33 votes
    Greens
    12% 12 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    9% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It was going to be sh1t whoever got in, broken promises or not. It was probably a waste of time even voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its kind of unfair to lump the blame on FG, granted im not very happy with all thats happening but it was always gonna be the way the new government would inherit the blame and burden of FF's glory days.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I voted independent and I'd vote independent. I suppose that's Atari Jaguar?

It doesn't matter who is/was elected, the damage was done in the years before and the money has to come from somewhere. It's infuriating but it is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Anyone who couldn't see what austerity measures were going to have to be taken doesn't deserve the right to vote in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who are "the Greens"?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

smash wrote: »

A lot of people say they'd never vote FF again and then voted FG or Labour. Now with all the broken promises and stealth taxes they're going to introduce, a lot of supporters want them gone ASAP. So would you go back and change your vote if you could?

I dont ever remember FG or Labour sayign they had a magic wand and could fix the countries problems overnight - there was always going to be more taxes and cuts. Did they ever say they were not going to do this? Did any party?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

...and then voted FG or Labour. Now with all the broken promises and stealth taxes they're going to introduce, a lot of supporters want them gone ASAP

I dont think this is accurate. Latest Red C poll show no real changes in support for any of the parties in last few months.

Linky

The article is saying a small increase in support for FF but this is still within the margin of error for the survey and I think (?) leaves them still around where they were at the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Although it was fianna fail that were in government I honestly think that the majority of the blame is with the general public. the government or banks didn't force anyone to buy overpriced houses, take out huge loans, etc etc. The banks provided a service and people availed of it. People can complain all they like that that they were misguided but I also think that's a load of crap! Its up to yourself to look after your own affairs and choose the best deal for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

IMO most people voted to get FF out of office, That was it.

Not Surprising to me anyway that seems to be forgotten now why we got rid of them and would expect to see them back in power next time :eek: Not that i vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It wouldn't have made any difference who you voted for, the same decisions would have been made.
    What needs to change is the system as a whole, there has not been enough promised change. The system doesn't work and no longer reflects the desires or needs of the Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I would spoil my vote again, but that option is not in the poll.

I'm shocked that FF/FG still have such a high proportion of the vote! - People would still vote Fail Gael?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

They're all gob****es.
    Truth be told I'll probably never vote again, what's the point.

There all just the same shower of ba$tards.

I personally voted for Atari Jaguar and personally believe that this old games console could do a better job than any "government or parties" we have running this recycling bin of a country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

realies wrote: »
    IMO most people voted to get FF out of office, That was it.

Not Surprising to me anyway that seems to be forgotten now why we got rid of them and would expect to see them back in power next time :eek: Not that i vote for them.

It's happened a few times before.

They were incinerated by global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Vicxas wrote: »
    Its kind of unfair to lump the blame on FG, granted im not very happy with all thats happening but it was always gonna be the way the new government would inherit the blame and burden of FF's glory days.
    I'm not blaming them for the state of the country myself I know that's FF's fault but being lumped with the previous tenants mistakes isn't really an excuse for lies. They knew the state of the country yet they made promises I'm convinced they knew they couldn't keep.

Take for example the suspicion regarding the increase in student fees. It remains to be seen if it'll happen in the budget but I honestly believe they made that promise, knowing they couldn't keep it, to galvanise the student vote.

Back on topic if I had my vote back I'd write 'arse biscuits' once again on the ballot and put it in the box.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Back on topic if I had my vote back I'd write 'arse biscuits' once again on the ballot and put it in the box.

What's the point in doing that? It doesn't acheive anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Atari Jaguar for Taoiseach!

What's the point in doing that? It doesn't acheive anything.
    I guess my vote was as valid as yours then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I've voted SF all my life so i would'nt be taking anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I didn't believe FG or Lab promises during the GE, in fact I was disappointed that they resorted to so much parish pump nonsense at a time when a clear, honest strategy was called for by many people.

Of the political parties I voted Green 1 (somewhat reluctantly), Lab in second and as usual put FG and FF at the bottom of the ballot paper , I would probably go along with this again, I certainly havent seen anything to change my mind on it.

IIRC I voted like this (Dublin SE), I gave Mannix Flynn who had no chance a Nr 2 because I have a lot of respect for him.
    1. Green
    2. Ind - Mannix Flynn
    3. Lab - Ruairi Quinn
    4. Lab
    5. Filled in the next 6 or 7 with a mix of Ind and other parties.... then
    2nd last :2 FG candidates,
    Last: FF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I'd still vote FG. They're not even a year in yet! They didn't say that 14 years of FF damage could be fixed in a few months. In fairness the budgets for the next few years were already half announced so people knew they was to be no benefits coming.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I guess my vote was as valid as yours then:D

Hopefully it will do over the next while. You'd be a fool to think a changing of Government will just wipe the slate clear of the problems of the past Government immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The Green Army, maybe. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Voted Independent, would probably do the same next time or vote for united left alliance who should really be running the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Hopefully it will do over the next while. You'd be a fool to think a changing of Government will just wipe the slate clear of the problems of the past Government immediately.

There is no 'previous' or 'next' government. The government is Fail Gael. The last general election changed nothing.
    Fianna fail and Fina Gael are one and the same. Two sides to the same coin. They have identical policies.

Fine Gael carried on from where Fianna Fail left off.

Ireland is a single party state, and that party is Fail Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

In favour of who, exactly?

'A lot of people' seem to be thick. This was always going to happen, there is no magic wand that can be waved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Carstuck wrote: »
    I'd still vote FG. They're not even a year in yet! They didn't say that 14 years of FF damage could be fixed in a few months. In fairness the budgets for the next few years were already half announced so people knew they was to be no benefits coming.

Spending cuts and tax increases I can live with but giving your friend a €35,000 pay increase just because you can is unacceptable.

Spending cuts and tax increases I can live with but giving your friend a €35,000 pay increase just because you can is unacceptable.

He should have really told his advisor-pal to "tighten his fucking belt".

You'd be a fool to think a changing of Government will just wipe the slate clear of the problems of the past Government immediately.
    Which is why I didn't vote for anyone. Yes writing 'arse biscuits' on my ballot was childish but I had to crack a smile. It just goes to show how hard satisfaction was to come by in the last election

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Anyone who couldn't see what austerity measures were going to have to be taken doesn't deserve the right to vote in my opinion.

And included in the group of people who couldn't see what austerity measures were going to have to be taken would be the entire Fine Gael & Labour parties.

Advertisement