Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men, Paedophilia and Young Children.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I have a 2 year old and im only comfortable with him,at a kids party during the summer a friends 1 year old wanted me to lift her up to sit on my lap,I felt so awkward even though my friend says the child always does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I was walking my Jack Russell terrier about on the green in a neighbouring estate, just after Halloween. There was a group of children playing with no adult supervision. One of them called my dog over. My dog is very friendly and she started running around and playing with the kids, getting them caught up in the extendable lead as she ran around their feet, causing much hilarity and jumping about. I then recognised 2 of them as having knocked on my door on halloween night, so I started chatting to them. Next thing the mother starts screaming at them from her sitting room window to get away from me. I recognised the mother as well as having stood in the background while they were trick-or-treating, so I greeted her. She would have none of it. She told me to get away from her kids. Next thing three men walked out the front door and started going on at me from the driveway about "interfering" with little kids and how I should be ashamed of myself.

I realised then that sensible discussion was out of the question, so I ignored them and carried on walking my dog. About 10 minutes later a garda patrol car showed up. I assumed that they had been called about the earlier incident so I went straight over for a chat. I confirmed that I had had a run in with obnoxious people over perceived threats to their children, that there had been a brief conversation with the children, but no physical contact. They said that it was no problem, they regularly get calls from these people, especially when they've had a few drinks. They also said that they are required to investigate any complaints.

Obviously the whole affair was very unpleasant, especially since there were other people around when it occurred, and they seemed to be giving me funny looks after the accusations were made. Maybe just my imagination though, but being accused of being a kiddie fiddler was not my idea of a fun evening out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You'd have to wonder if there are any real men left.

Hush up, child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Very good thread.

I agree though, nowadays males cannot interact with children they dont know. There is too much fear about paedophilia. It is a truly sad situation and society is worse off because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I was walking my Jack Russell terrier about on the green in a neighbouring estate, just after Halloween. There was a group of children playing with no adult supervision. One of them called my dog over. My dog is very friendly and she started running around and playing with the kids, getting them caught up in the extendable lead as she ran around their feet, causing much hilarity and jumping about. I then recognised 2 of them as having knocked on my door on halloween night, so I started chatting to them. Next thing the mother starts screaming at them from her sitting room window to get away from me. I recognised the mother as well as having stood in the background while they were trick-or-treating, so I greeted her. She would have none of it. She told me to get away from her kids. Next thing three men walked out the front door and started going on at me from the driveway about "interfering" with little kids and how I should be ashamed of myself.

I realised then that sensible discussion was out of the question, so I ignored them and carried on walking my dog. About 10 minutes later a garda patrol car showed up. I assumed that they had been called about the earlier incident so I went straight over for a chat. I confirmed that I had had a run in with obnoxious people over perceived threats to their children, that there had been a brief conversation with the children, but no physical contact. They said that it was no problem, they regularly get calls from these people, especially when they've had a few drinks. They also said that they are required to investigate any complaints.

Obviously the whole affair was very unpleasant, especially since there were other people around when it occurred, and they seemed to be giving me funny looks after the accusations were made. Maybe just my imagination though, but being accused of being a kiddie fiddler was not my idea of a fun evening out.

That's f*cking awful, excuse my language. One positive thing to take from that incident though is that the police don't engage with all this damaging paedophilia hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Warper wrote: »
    Very good thread.

I agree though, nowadays males cannot interact with children they don't know. There is too much fear about paedophilia. It is a truly sad situation and society is worse off because of it.

But what is the answer ?

I remember in the 70,s people saying they are glad they live in Ireland and not England as its full of paedophiles etc etc it now seems like many other things we have imported this scaremongering here. Suspicion is everywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Truley wrote: »
    I used to work in childcare and I remember having a conversation with some of my co-workers about the idea of men working in crèches. The girls I was talking to unanimously agreed that they wouldn't find it weird that a man would choose to work with children and that it's a positive thing, better for children etc etc. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised that they could be so open minded about it.

Next minute one of the girls piped up, 'unless it's a baby of course.' And then every other girl in the room agreed that it was okay for a man to work with children but not around babies. Why? I asked. Because it would involve changing nappies. Because it's just wrong. Because a man can't be trusted alone with an undressed child. Duh!

But people are happy to allow strange women in crèches to undress their child every day, no problem. I was gobsmaked :confused:

Jesus Christ... I'd be far more worried about having idiots like this look after my kids than the possibility of a paedophile working in a creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You'd have to wonder if there are any real men left. .

Probably on the sex offenders register.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Feeona wrote: »
    One positive thing to take from that incident though is that the police don't engage with all this damaging paedophilia hype.
    The Gardai have the misfortune of dealing with so much child neglect from both genders/parents, that I guess luckily for the rest of us they are far more realistic and less hysterical when it comes to reports about children in danger.

Prowling child predators are extraordinarily rare, the Gardai know this and so would most likely be suspicious of any report that "me neighbour was fiddlin with me kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TinfoilTinman

Having had a lot of younger cousins growing up i've always got on very well with kids. Even now, i'm an uncle and i've done a good amount of babysitting. I can deal with the constant cleaning, tantrums and the horror of bedtime but i've never taken care of a child I haven't been related to for longer than 10 minutes.

Currently, i'm a student with no source of income and little chance of a job ; I can juggle, do a little magic, cook and read Gruffalo like a boss with sound effects -- voices for EVERY character.

Who would hire me? I know women who are terrible with children and yet make money babysitting, I am merely male.

• Advertisement
Advertisement