Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail in reaching a new low shocker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They don't put their 'Oirish' articles online oddly enough. Wouldn't do for all the right-wing little Englanders to think that their paper is pandering to the colonies.

It is funny when they get themselves in a muddle though and you end with stuff like this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/18/bad-science-cancer-jabs-daily-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

It's a very small 2 column x 5 cm high piece, probably about 120 words or so, top left hand corner (traditionally the least favoured part of the paper for either adverts or articles) and over a large article relating to how the Irish would love Gdansk.

this was a genuine mistake on the part of the journo by the looks of it. it's simply too big a deal to lie about a story for the sake of filler space like this. an article relating to him going missing would fill the space just as easily. there's no question that this was a fabrication intended to sell papers, it's in a s'hit position on page 8 ffs.

some of you a'ssholes should consider the facts if you're going to go on rants about journo's not getting their facts straight. fact is - this article looks like nothing more malicious than a journo being misinformed by a trusted source. she should clarify though exactly what happened.

mod: poster banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

It's a very small 2 column x 5 cm high piece, probably about 120 words or so, top left hand corner (traditionally the least favoured part of the paper for either adverts or articles) and over a large article relating to how the Irish would love Gdansk.

this was a genuine mistake on the part of the journo by the looks of it. it's simply too big a deal to lie about a story for the sake of filler space like this. an article relating to him going missing would fill the space just as easily. there's no question that this was a fabrication intended to sell papers, it's in a s'hit position on page 8 ffs.

some of you a'ssholes should consider the facts if you're going to go on rants about journo's not getting their facts straight. fact is - this article looks like nothing more malicious than a journo being misinformed by a trusted source. she should clarify though exactly what happened.

can people stop saying it was a genuine mistake? it wasn't

it was useless reporting abilities, it was a useless editor, it was a useless journalist.

A mistake would have been a typo. This is terrible and imho unforgivable. If any friends or relatives were reading it can you imagine what they would have felt.

I really hope the so called journalist and editor are hung out to dry on this along with all the other bigoted and hate filled journalists in the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jim2009

5550211b02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

It's a very small 2 column x 5 cm high piece, probably about 120 words or so, top left hand corner

it's in a s'hit position on page 8 ffs.

Ah I understand now. So the smaller the font etc and the more buried an article is in the paper, the less truthful it has to be, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

jim2009 wrote: »
    5550211b02.jpg
    Cheers.

Any chance of the rest of it?

(Christ, I can't believe I'm actually asking for a Daily Mail article to be posted.)

i dont have the paper my self,one of the people on my facebook had the picture,not sure why the didnt take a proper photo.

edit.
    ill ask them anyway and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

She should be sacked at once

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

jim2009 wrote: »
    5550211b02.jpg

Even if it was a genuine mistake that's no excuse, especially for something as serious as this.

I think she deserves to be sacked but she probably fits in quite well at the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has there been any apology from the rag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They don't put their 'Oirish' articles online oddly enough. Wouldn't do for all the right-wing little Englanders to think that their paper is pandering to the colonies.

It is funny when they get themselves in a muddle though and you end with stuff like this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/18/bad-science-cancer-jabs-daily-mail

That reminds me of the Rant the indo had about Tesco a while back, accusing them of ripping people off in the RoI and it ran a dozen or so price comparisons.

The article however forgot to mention that the Indo in northern ireland costs half what it does in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

While the Max Moseley story made for some good chuckles and so on I could never understand why he took it so far. He believes the story played a part in his (already a recovering drug addict) son's suicide. He's been backing cases where the plaintiffs can't cover legal costs for the last couple of years. The media both here and in the UK is unregulated (good on paper) but when they do tell blatant lies it still takes massive time and money to get through court hearings etc.

Hopefully yer man somehow turns up OK anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Can't believe people are defending the Daily Mail, based merely on their perceptions of common decency. Laughable.

interview here with his father if any one wants a listen.no mention of the article tho.

http://soundcloud.com/pj-coogan/0512-eugene-mulrooney-with

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

The Daily Mail is notorious for bad journalism and I think this is another case of this. The reporter was at fault for not verifying the story and being just plain careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

hmmm, sounds like the reporter got information that was incorrect and didn't double check it. That shouldn't happen but was hardly done deliberately.
    On the other hand, the Daily Mail is the only paper that has dared to expose scandals in Ireland and is to be commended for that. In yesterdays paper they reveal the fact that Enda Kenny personally intervened to get a buddy of his appointed as a government advisor at 35,000pa over the salary cap. You won't find the Denis O'Brien papers breaking a story like that. The Daily Mail, for all it's faults has led the way in exposing corruption in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

jpfahy wrote: »
    hmmm, sounds like the reporter got information that was incorrect and didn't double check it. That shouldn't happen but was hardly done deliberately.
    On the other hand, the Daily Mail is the only paper that has dared to expose scandals in Ireland and is to be commended for that. In yesterdays paper they reveal the fact that Enda Kenny personally intervened to get a buddy of his appointed as a government advisor at 35,000pa over the salary cap. You won't find the Denis O'Brien papers breaking a story like that. The Daily Mail, for all it's faults has led the way in exposing corruption in this country.

The only problem with that is that most people will not take the Daily Mail seriously even if they do try to run stories that expose corruption.

If they won't even bother to check their facts on whether a man has been found dead or not, I'm going to be wondering if they have their facts right about Enda and his buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    The only problem with that is that most people will not take the Daily Mail seriously even if they do try to run stories that expose corruption.

If they won't even bother to check their facts on whether a man has been found dead or not, I'm going to be wondering if they have their facts right about Enda and his buddies.

True. And corrupt politicians are tricky to get rid of at the best of times.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

"Daily Mail in reaching a new low shocker"

Failing to see the "shocker" element. That rag has always been, and will probably continue to be so full of it's own self pontificating, self righteous right wing bullsh1t that nothing in this should surprise anyone.

God help that young mans family and friends. They must be climbing the walls with worry, and then the Mail think that they can go ahead and print something to this effect? In Ireland there are laws about informing next of kin in the case of a death, before it's announced officially, I have to assume it's the same in the case of a missing person. Surely they have now broken the law? I won't even go into the morality of what they did, I'm not sure they'd give a rats a$$!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

I actually read the article on Sunday morning before work and obviously took it as fact, as it wouldn't even cross my mind that it would be fabricated/wrong. We had missing posters up and I later that day said to my manager to take them down as he had been found. I know it's extremely unlikely, but what if someone had walked in that day, seen the poster and knew something that could've helped. Absolutely ridiculous and despicable that this made it to print. I will never buy that rag again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

later10 wrote: »
    That article smells fishy to me. Surely she had some reason for thinking the body had been found. I am not buying the notion that any journalist would completely invent the facts so pointlessly and transparently as this woman is alleged to have done.

Have a read: http://www.mailwatch.co.uk/

Outright lies, mistakes and serious crap since 2004 alone.

Invent stuff?

See: http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2011/10/mailonline-makes-up-events-quotes-from.html

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Leftist wrote: »
    Can't believe people are defending the Daily Mail, based merely on their perceptions of common decency. Laughable.

+1

Journalists stating facts that they came too due to not enough research or plain out lying is an utter disgrace. I hope there is a full on, HEART FELT apology from the paper and Marissa Lynch specifically. I personally am glad that a this has sparked the ire of many as it is too serious to overlook.

On the flipside, I hope this doesn't overshadow the real story here which is the poor guy missing and his poor family. Heart goes out to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GavanCasey

later10 wrote: »
    That article smells fishy to me. Surely she had some reason for thinking the body had been found. I am not buying the notion that any journalist would completely invent the facts so pointlessly and transparently as this woman is alleged to have done.

Also, on a more pedantic level, the last sentence makes no sense. The pen is more cowardly than the sword? What?

I'm involved in the search, I know the guy missing and I also know the guy who wrote this article. There was absolutely no information given to suggest any body had been found, not to mention our friend's body. This woman Marisa Lynch is an out and out scumbag, she fabricated the entire story because 'sufficient' progress was not being made in the case. It's all well and good to assume she was informed otherwise, but as a person very much involved with the entire search it was insulting to both Caolan's family and his friends for such a disgusting, malignantly plotted, false story to make its way to the national press with an obvious lack of an attempt to gather relevant and correct information that might have actually helped with the search for my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

GavanCasey wrote: »
    I'm involved in the search, I know the guy missing and I also know the guy who wrote this article. There was absolutely no information given to suggest any body had been found, not to mention our friend's body. This woman Marisa Lynch is an out and out scumbag, she fabricated the entire story because 'sufficient' progress was not being made in the case. It's all well and good to assume she was informed otherwise, but as a person very much involved with the entire search it was insulting to both Caolan's family and his friends for such a disgusting, malignantly plotted, false story to make its way to the national press with an obvious lack of an attempt to gather relevant and correct information that might have actually helped with the search for my friend.

Good luck. I hope you find your friend healthy and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

As long as the sheep continue to buy newspapers (and they are all as bad as one another) the standards in journalism will remain.

Supply and demand, people.

This country needs to organise and commit to a total boycott of all print media, for even one week and that would send the message out. If the denizens of boards committed to this and spread the word it might force paper bosses to realise that people will no longer tolerate low standards in journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

The SU in Trinity have suspended sales of the Daily Mail in shops on campus. I hope other people will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1206/cork.html

Just saw this. Terrible stuff, made even more distressing by the Daily Mail.

RIP, young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Most journalists are scum anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Most journalists are scum anyway.
    Most people who express views like that don't have a clue about journalists/journalism.

She messed up. I don't get why people are calling her a heartless scumbag who had an agenda to sell more copies when they don't know her and know nothing about what led to her writing it.
    Some of what was said today was retracted, then verified. There were mixed messages going around all morning/afternoon - and some people on social media seemed to be keen to "break" something without getting full verification, so it's not just journalists. I know the Mail is a rag, but something like this - I really doubt there would be liberties taken deliberately. Look at the trouble it would get the company into. It's a moralising type publication, unlike e.g. the Sun which moralises when it suits but behaves sensationalist then at other times without giving a toss - and that's even toned down considerably since the 80s.
    Her career could be under threat now - why would she risk that? And I know she wrote it, but it would have been checked by others before going to press. For all we know, she could have checked with a reliable source or sources.
    Why do people WANT her to have been a callous, ruthless vulture?
    People need to start realising that the unethical scummy hacks out there working of their own volition are one group, those just doing their job without a sinister agenda are another. I know this because I've actually worked in the industry.

Ironically, all the gleeful witch-hunting and assumptions are worthy of the worst kind of rag. It's like there's an insatiable need to be cynical. I agree with other posters: vile as the Mail is, it's not going to have an editorial meeting with a plan to hurt the family of a missing lad hitherto unknown. People can pretend that's bullsh1t all they like, but the fact is: they don't have a clue.

I agree the paper should apologise though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Leftist wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how idiotic they are.

Anyway, it has been shown that the article was indeed published. This shows that journalists, and most people who work in the media, are complete and utter ****.

Yeah, I'm generalising here, but it's mostly true.

Advertisement