Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail in reaching a new low shocker

Options
  • 05-12-2011 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

Caolan Mulrooney has been missing since last Friday night, and the search is ongoing.. However, the Mail has other ideas...

University Times
    In the early hours of Friday the 2nd of December, an old classmate of mine from Cork, Caolan Mulrooney, went missing. He was seen on CCTV cameras leaving Cubins nightclub in the centre of the town, and then spotted a short time later making his way up around St. Finbarr’s Cathedral on the north side of the city. He wasn’t seen by any of his friends or family the following morning or afternoon. A search party comprised of hundreds of us subsequently searched the town inch by inch later that night, doing everything in our power to find him. Inevitably, when the examination of the streets proved fruitless, the search parties were moved down to the banks of the Marina on the south side of the city. The Daily Mail, that great bastion of accurate news reporting, decided that this was sufficient evidence to claim that Caolan’s body had been recovered from the River Lee, and then published it in their Sunday morning edition.

It was astounding that the ‘journalist’ in question, Marisa Lynch, would choose to make up a rumour about a matter so serious, so upsetting, simply to sell a few extra copies of her vile bosses’ rag. I should point out that it is not an assumption on my part to say that Ms. Lynch chose to fabricate this story. When a journalist is reporting on a scenario as devastating as this, it is imperative that they get their facts straight. If she had asked even one person searching the Marina about the investigation, never mind the Gardai, then she would’ve been told the truth. One can only assume when confronting realities such as these that Ms. Lynch either; a) Had not sufficiently researched the matter and decided it would be easier for her to make up a fantastical news story, or, b) Had researched the matter, but decided that her version of events would make for a more interesting read. This is the state of journalism today – a collection of failed newscasters with no lasting friends, who choose to manufacture outright lies for the sake of satisfying the sadistic fantasies of their editors, and boosting their own overinflated egos.

A parallel can perhaps be drawn between events like this, to the wicked reporting of another gutter tabloid. In Sheffield, 1989, a devastating tragedy occurred which shook the foundations of my hometown of Liverpool to its very core. The Hillsborough stadium disaster was a heartbreaking catastrophe which resulted in the deaths of 96 people, caused entirely by the ineptitude of the South Yorkshire Police to sufficiently monitor the turnstiles. Instead of allowing time for the families of the victims to come to terms with the event, and for a full independent investigation to be made, The Sun chose to fabricate the lie that Liverpool fans had urinated on the bodies of dead people, and stole from their pockets. Again, a malicious story which broke the hearts of real people, and for what? For the sake of selling more copies? If there is a hell, these journalists are surely bound for it.

Caolan Mulrooney has not been found yet, and the investigation is still ongoing in Cork. Anyone with any relevant information is encouraged to contact their local Garda station. But for Ms. Lynch to do what she did is a disgrace, not just to news reporting, but to human nature. I can only call on the people of Cork to react in the same way that Liverpudlians did to The Sun, by refusing to buy The Mail under any circumstances. Only by refusing to accept hurtful and malevolent journalism such as this will the tabloids ever get the message. Edward Bulwer-Lytton once said that “the pen is mightier than the sword”. He may have been right, but it’s also more cowardly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

That article smells fishy to me. Surely she had some reason for thinking the body had been found. I am not buying the notion that any journalist would completely invent the facts so pointlessly and transparently as this woman is alleged to have done.

Also, on a more pedantic level, the last sentence makes no sense. The pen is more cowardly than the sword? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cork shops should boycott the paper until they print a full page apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Just saw this on Facebook what kind of sick person fabricates a story like this knowing full well the effect it's gonna have on the family and friends of this lad.

There has to be a campaign setup to boycott the mail.Like there is in Liverpool for the other rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

later10 wrote: »
    That article smells fishy to me. Surely she had some reason for thinking the body had been found. I am not buying the notion that any journalist would completely invent the facts so pointlessly and transparently as this woman is alleged to have done.

Also, on a more pedantic level, the last sentence makes no sense. The pen is more cowardly than the sword? What?

You should see the Lies the Sun printed after the Hillsborough disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Hope they find him alive and well. This is absolutely shocking, the people involved in this story are at best a pack of idiots or else a pack of miserable *****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

In the ucc thread they said other bodies had been pulled from the river ! Its just crappy work that she didn't check up before jumping to conclusions to get the scoop , a good editor shouldn't have left it be published but then it is the daily mail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

am not buying the notion that any journalist would completely invent the facts so pointlessly and transparently as this woman is alleged to have done.

You're joking, surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

In the ucc thread they said other bodies had been pulled from the river ! Its just crappy work that she didn't check up before jumping to conclusions to get the scoop , a good editor shouldn't have left it be published but then it is the daily mail

Idiots it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You're joking, surely...

Nope.

I find it hard to believe that a couple of people sat down in a room and said 'hey, lets make up a lie that the missing kid was found dead'. I think it sounds more plausible that there was some reason why the Mail (or Marisa Lynch) believed this had happened.

Maybe they were guilty of not verifying a story or a rumour, which is unforgiveable in this context; but no, I don't believe they just made it up from thin air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I agree with Later. It makes no sene for this girl to make up a story that will easily be found out as a lie. So won't have much of a career with the Mail or most other papers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,122 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I agree with Later. It makes no sene for this girl to make up a story that will easily be found out as a lie. So won't have much of a career with the Mail or most other papers now.

Was it actually printed? I'd put nothing past tabloid journos, tbh,

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Yeh, I have to say, I find it extremely hard to believe that a journalist would print a story that they knew would be proven to be wrong almost immediately, a story that would subsequently garner widespread criticism and disgust.

Yes, a large proportion of journalists are disgusting creatures with no morals and only look out for themselves - but that's exactly it; by printing such a colossal and disgusting lie on purpose, surely she would have known she was hurting nobody but herself.

Whoever wrote the UT article is being slightly hypocritical themselves too, in that he hasn't provided the journalist's side of the story, which is very unfair. This could have been an honest mistake, and even if you think that is unlikely, everybody deserves the chance to explain themselves before having very negative articles like that written about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nope.

I find it hard to believe that a couple of people sat down in a room and said 'hey, lets make up a lie that the missing kid was found dead'. I think it sounds more plausible that there was some reason why the Mail (or Marisa Lynch) believed this had happened.

Maybe they were guilty of not verifying a story or a rumour, which is unforgiveable in this context; but no, I don't believe they just made it up from thin air.
    Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Dont think the lad is in the river. Its a known fact that the last cctv footage of him was walking up fort st direction, which is out southside away from the city centre. So with that information coming out early on Saturday i think, I find it ridiculous how any journalist could write such a story. The Daily Rag covers itself in glory again.

Slighty off topic, theres body's being pulled out of the river down here on a daily basis the last few months, its always been a hotspot for people jumping/falling in, but the last few months have taken the biscuit. Is the Liffey the same anyone from Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

St Finbarres isn't on the north side of the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cork shops should boycott the paper until they print a full page apology.

Pretty contrarian Chuck, even by your contrarian standards.

Link in my sig as to why.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Nope.

It's the daily mail. Lies are their stock in trade. What do they care, they can run something on the front page, then print a retraction on page 26 under the aerobiciser ads. The Leveson inquiry on at the moment in the UK is quite educational about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Nope.

All I will say is Bishop Casey interview that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

the daily fail is one of those papers that i lose instant respect for as soon as i see someone reading it.

wish they were involved in a hacking scandel so they'd shut down too and make this workd a nice and happier place without their bile on the newstands

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Can anyone provide a link to the Daily Mail article? I'd rather not make a comment until I actually read what the journalist wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nope.

That same argument could apply regarding The Sun and what they printed about Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nope.

There was an article in the guardian by a guy who used to work for the mail. He said he used to completely make complete stories up off the top of his head

Paparazzo wrote: »
    There was an article in the guardian by a guy who used to work for the mail. He said he used to completely make complete stories up off the top of his head

There was an article on the sun about the guy in the guardian who used to work for the mail. It was on page three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

whirlpool wrote: »
    This could have been an honest mistake, and even if you think that is unlikely, everybody deserves the chance to explain themselves before having very negative articles like that written about them.
    Publishing that a missing student has been found dead in a river when he hasn't.
    Quite the 'honest' mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Just the kind of thing i'd expect from this rag, disgusting story to go to print despite the lack of one iota of confirmation of it being true..

Wonder how the family felt hearing about the publication of that story yesterday..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Publishing that a missing student has been found dead in a river when he hasn't.
    Quite the 'honest' mistake to make.

Have you read the article? I'm not saying what was in the original post is not true but I think people should actually read what was written before attacking the journalist.

gemma188 wrote: »
    Have you read the article? I'm not saying what was in the original post is not true but I think people should actually read what was written before attacking the journalist.

No, but I have pointed out that I'm not 100% convinced that the journalist in question actually forwarded the stroy for printing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

"In the early hours of Friday the 2nd of December, an old classmate of mine from Cork, Caolan Mulrooney, went missing. He was seen on CCTV cameras leaving Cubins nightclub in the centre of the town, and then spotted a short time later making his way up around St. Finbarr’s Cathedral on the north side of the city."

This article talks about accuracy in media reporting. I know the two are at different ends of the scale, but just to be clear, St. Finbarr's Cathedral is on the south side of the city.

If you want to give out about accuracy (and you should) then best to get your own facts straight.

Edit: I see Kold has pointed out the error

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

Anyone have a link to the Daily Mail article? I can't find it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the Daily Mail article? I can't find it anywhere.

+1 can't find any trace of it.

Advertisement